June 2013 Moms
Options

Define crying?

I know it sounds silly but just wondering how you define crying. When LO is fussy and whining do you go to comfort them? I've been comforting LO when she gets fussy and has little cries but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to wait and let it escalate more? Not to the screaming red in the face stage obviously...

Re: Define crying?

• Options
    I can definitely sense the tones. It goes from little "waaaa" and coughs to wailing.
    You should definitely try waiting out the little fussies like PP because you could be surprised that they will settle.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kdc2007 said:
    ditto what jo27key said
    +1

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Options
    Murphie82Murphie82 member
    edited November 2013
    My LO almost never cried prior to the 4th leap fussy stage, which we're still in, so I definitely had to make judgment calls about when to go to him versus when to let him fuss/complain.  I think of fussing and complaining as two different things, too. 

When he fusses, which sounds like definite unhappiness and whining that is edging towards a cry, I leave him for 5-10 minutes depending on how bad it sounds.  Usually he fusses himself out by then, and I don't have to go to him.  If it turns into a real cry, I go to him immediately.

When he complains, which sounds like unhappy or frustrated talking but without any whining or anything that sounds like it is heading towards a serious meltdown, I leave him for 15-20 minutes.  Again, he usually complains himself to sleep by then, and I don't have to go to him.  (Someone please tell me if the 15-20 mins is too long in your opinion...I feel like it's OK, but I'll take some advice on this.)

Now that we're in the fussy part of the 4th leap, there is a lot more crying, which in a way I'm thankful for because I was starting to question whether I knew what "crying" really was since it was a rare event.  There's a definite sobbing, screeching component to crying that he doesn't do when he fusses or complains.

Anyway, that's my overly analyzed take on this topic.
  • Options
    Man I suck at this haha. Thanks ladies I think I'll have to try and let her fuss more. I don't notice tones, I just go running to pick her up and she calms down so I figured that was "crying." Time to wait it out!
  • Options
    Achae said:
    Man I suck at this haha. Thanks ladies I think I'll have to try and let her fuss more. I don't notice tones, I just go running to pick her up and she calms down so I figured that was "crying." Time to wait it out!
    I had the same problem when we first moved him to his crib.  If he made a noise, I'd immediately go to him, but he was waking up every 3 hours at that point and would always complain when I'd set him down after a feeding so I started letting him complain instead of going to him because...I had to get some sleep.
  • Options

Miley has only cried twice since she was born, but I'm the worst. The second she gets fussy I'm going to pick her up.

Wow. Twice? Makes my baby look like a super fussy one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"