Multiples

Advice on putting on weight for one twin...

All the way up until today, both girls have been measuring almost identical in size (my girls are di/di). At my last appointment at 28w4d, both girls weighed 2lbs 9oz. I've been on low carb/high protein to keep my amniotic fluid down (since 24 weeks). Today Baby A was measuring smaller at 3lbs 11oz and Baby B was measuring on target at 4lbs 8oz. Since I don't have GD and my fluid looks great, I've been taken off my diet restriction and told to EAT. I'd love some recs for high caloric/high protein things that will help Baby A put on some poundage. I just had Taco Bell after leaving the doctors office. :-/

Is it Ensure some of you drink? Did you find anything that really helped one put on some weight after their was a weight discordance?

TIA!

Re: Advice on putting on weight for one twin...

• I really like Odwalla protein monster. Didn't taste as chalky. I also ate a ton of Greek yogurt. I liked the chobani flips. And before bed, my dh made me a banana and peanut butter milkshake. Eating was my second job.
  • ceechie said:
    I really like Odwalla protein monster. Didn't taste as chalky. I also ate a ton of Greek yogurt. I liked the chobani flips. And before bed, my dh made me a banana and peanut butter milkshake. Eating was my second job.
    Did it actually help put on weight on the smaller baby?

• Loading the player...
  • I don't really have any great advice, but we're having the same problem with our twins at 16w. But I'm definitely going to ask our perinatologist when we see them a week from Monday.
  • Ensure Plus tastes pretty good.  But it has lots of sugar.  My girls preferred cheeseburgers :)  I mostly used the Ensure to replace a meal when I couldn't eat (I had morning sickness my whole 2nd tri).  But my girls didn't have much of a discordance at all, so I don't know if it helped them stay similar or not.  Considering your's are di/di, they may just be growing at different rates, and the measurements can be off if someones not in the best position.  When is your next growth scan?  I'd be interested to see what it says before I worried too much about the discordance.  One thing I've learned, is it's really hard not to make comparisons between the babies.  Even though mine are ID, now that they are out, they really are different babies.  And if they were singles, I wouldn't be stressing as much.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• ceechie said:

I really like Odwalla protein monster. Didn't taste as chalky. I also ate a ton of Greek yogurt. I liked the chobani flips. And before bed, my dh made me a banana and peanut butter milkshake. Eating was my second job.
    Did it actually help put on weight on the smaller baby?

My girls tended to measure close in size through out the pregnancy. But in then end I made it to 37 weeks and baby A was 7lbs 7oz and baby B was 6lbs 5oz. The way I saw it was why not eat like this and do all I could to help get great birth weights. There is a ton of research for MoMs correlating weight gain and birth weight. Not everyone here believes in this but I always thought, why not try everything in my power. Bc there is so much not in your power when prego with multiples.
  • I ate a crapton of greek yogurt (get plain for less sugar, I always ate vanilla though). I went through two of those big containers a week. I also ate lots of hard boiled eggs and bags of nuts - raw almonds and cashews. I don't really care for meat, and this was a good way to get dense nutrition. I'm just not into the shakes and drinks. Oh and avocados too!

I had my boys at 34w and they were 5 and 5 8.

• @kgs0505 - my next scan is in 3 weeks 35w4d. Doc just thinks that since I was on a low carb/high protein diet since 24 weeks (I had high AFI for both girls) that I've been too restrictive. I've only put on 24 pounds (I put on 40-45 with my singleton but was way swollen by 29 weeks).

Since being taken off the restriction I feel ill from all the food. ::barf::

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"