Two Under 2

XP: Moby Wrap vs Maya Ring Sling

Hello Ladies! Looking for some input/recommendations...DD1 is 16 months and DD2 is 2 weeks (EBF). I currently have the Baby Bjorn and Ergo carriers, and while I love them both, especially for older babies/toddlers, they don't seem to function that well for a newborn (especially when it comes to nursing). I've read a lot about the Moby and Ring Sling and am wondering, for those with experience in this domain, which carrier works best for nursing and keeping a newborn secure? I didn't nurse DD1 in a carrier, simply because I never really had to. Now that I have DD2 I need something that allows me to be "relatively" hands free and also able to nurse when needed. Thank you!

Re: XP: Moby Wrap vs Maya Ring Sling

• Let me first preface this by saying I do not have experience nursing in either... but! I think a ring sling would be easier to nurse in.. it's a lot easier to adjust/reposition baby in a sling versus having to loosen a carry in a wrap..

If you are, however, interested in going the wrap option.. I wouldn't waste $ on a moby.. I'd look for a cheaper woven wrap (you can find some for under $100).. the thing with a moby is it's only functional up until a certain weight.. a lot of people (myself included) found the moby to lose functionality once the baby reached ~15lbs.. it will begin to stretch causing the carry to not feel as comfortable and the baby to not be as secure.. just my thoughts :)  Good luck either way!
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • A ring sling will be far easier to nurse in.  If you google sleeping baby production ring slings, she has a tutorial on how to nurse in a ring sling.  I like the Moby but find it quite hot so was never a fan for that reason.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both so much for your responses! I think I'm going to try the ring sling. I was a little intimidated by the Moby anyway, it looks like it takes quite a bit of practice to get in to, and with a newborn, every second counts! Thanks again! 
  • I tried both - Hands down the ring sling!  It is much easier to put on (very important when you are already trying to chase another kid around) and after a little practice while watching YouTube videos, I was able to nurse quite easily with the Maya Wrap ring sling.  I really liked the Maya over other ring slings as well, for the padded shoulder strap and the fabulous pocket.  I was able to nurse DD#2 all over the place while chasing the other 2 crazy kids.  She was hidden under the extra fabric and people had no idea what I was doing.  I actually nursed her longer than the other 2 since it was so easy to feed her on the go in there.  Now that she is weaned, I need to pack bottles and formula - and we had to teach her to hold her own bottle!  

As for the Moby - I never actually tried nursing in there.  It took me forever to get it wrapped correctly and once DD was finally in there, I never felt like she was secure enough - she seemed to be slipping down as I moved around.  Meanwhile, DS would be running all over the place.  I eventually gave up and gave my Moby away!  
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @laura1 I ordered the ring sling! It is significantly more expensive than the Moby but I feel like it fits my needs better. I also thought the Moby looked a little too time consuming to put on and more difficult to figure out. I know after a few attempts I would have figured it out, but when chasing a 1 year old around, time is of the essence! Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"