1st Trimester
Options

was kickboxing until pregnant -now what can I do?

Hi everyone, Im 5 wks along and 36 yrs old. First pregnancy. I love explosive sports and was doing kickboxing w a trainer as well as Insanity videos. My question is- when can I start up again with becoming more active (besides walking and yoga I mean). What is off limits exactly? Jumping? Squats? I want the best for the baby while also keeping healthy and fit. Thank you!

Re: was kickboxing until pregnant -now what can I do?

• Options
    Thank you. I figured I wouldnt be able to go full force but wondered what specific type of movements I need to stay away from...
  • Options
    Squats are actually one of the best things that you can do for your body to help prepare for labor. I don't think there are any specific movements you need to avoid. Most women are just warned not to increase their activity by a crazy extent when pregnant. For example, if you never exercised before being pregnant, you probably shouldn't start doing a ton of cardio and high-intensity work outs. It sounds like you're pretty active though, so it's usually fine to continue unless your OB says otherwise. They're always the best person to ask.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did Zumba when I was pregnant last time and it was great. I didn't do any of the more jumpy or shaky moves but the instructor gave me modifications I could do low impact
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy, I kickboxed up until 38 weeks. By the end, I lowered my intensity just because I was so large! I did everything the instructor did until it was uncomfortable for me. Just listen to your body.
  • Options
    I am 9w 6d. My dr. said keep doing what I was doing, just listen to your body. He also said sweating is a good sign that you are starting to push your limits. This totally fits with my experience. I used to work out crazy hard at a lifting/cardio interval bootcamp and now I still do all the movements, but I have dropped a little weight (however I still lift 40lbs in each hand for some lifts and 200lb DL) but now I have to break so frequently or go slower that I barely sweat. My body is already letting me know what is okay and when I need to take it easy. I would talk to your Dr. but I wouldn't just assume you have to stop...I actually feel better on the days I feel good enough to drag my ass to the gym :c)

**Ready for Baby!**
  • Options
    I guess my comment was vague. Some people sweat a lot anyways, however if you are comfortable when you start working out and not sweating, he said when you start sweating a lot that is a sign your body may be working too hard (this is not definitive to everyone, nor is it an exact science, however he said I did not need to wear a hr monitor) I shared this because I, for one, do sweat a ton day to day and working out and I have found that my body has naturally slowed me down in my workouts so I am barely sweating, compared to dripping sweat before. 

**Ready for Baby!**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"