Pre-School and Daycare

Feels like back to square one.

DS was significantly language delayed- he received two years of speech 2x/week, OT 1/week, and PT 2/month.  He made huge and fast progress, and was dismissed at 3. 

Recently his confidence skyrocketed, he finally began to speak in public.  He carries great, thoughtful and even insightful conversations.  But the more he wants to say the harder it is to understand him. His sister was always an easy translator but now she can't always understand him.  He seems happier in general, even rocking a little mischief, but melts down to full blown hysteria if he wants something.  And until recently he had no problem with "Mommy, may I please have..."  He will finally wander away from me in mommy and me classes a little but will not take swimming or tae kwon do like his sisters (he did a trial and on the day to sign up he refused and said he'd stay with me.

ANyway, at his 4 year appointment the pediatrician (one in the practice I hadn't met yet) gently suggested that he may benefit from a speech evaluation.  Sigh. 

It's not a big deal- not like when he was in early intervention. But I just don't wanna.  PLain and simple.  I was happy we did it when he was small and pretty much none of them remember.  Ugh.  Poor baby!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Feels like back to square one.

• This does stink.  But he's still young.  My DS qualified for preschool through the school district for speech and OT.  He loves it.  Even if your DS only qualifies for speech, he may love the extra attention.  Who knows?

It would be frustrating to me as well.  My guess is that now that he has so much to say, he's rushing too much and not thinking about it?  I don't know.  Good luck. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am sorry you don't want to. Except this isn't about you. It is about what is best for HIM. I am still trying to figure out what difference it makes if he remembers being evaluated or not. My child always viewed it as fun. It was the adult who puts the negativity into it. Even if you do not say anything, they pick up on it.

If you feel he is sliding back, there is clearly issues that need addressed. I would have him evaluated. It's not like it really takes that much time. Just because it does not seem like to much of an issue now, does not mean it will not be later. Also it may give him even more of a boost of confidence when he can get all he wants out clearly. I had a child with speech problems progress, then regress. Yes, kids will tease him at school. I have heard it as early as preschool. Not all kids are understanding. Do you work with him at home?
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Loading the player...
  • FWIW my DS has speech at 2 and tested out after 6mos and is extremely smart and is starting speech when first grade starts because he does this weird breathing thing and I was a little concerned and his teacher worries bout it affecting him socially. It is frustrating as hell but it will be ok. As for Karate and swimming remember that it might be unrelated and he might just not be as daring or social and that is ok too. Good luck.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imageAlwaysForgetful:
    I am sorry you don't want to. Except this isn't about you. It is about what is best for HIM. I am still trying to figure out what difference it makes if he remembers being evaluated or not. My child always viewed it as fun. It was the adult who puts the negativity into it. Even if you do not say anything, they pick up on it.

If you feel he is sliding back, there is clearly issues that need addressed. I would have him evaluated. It's not like it really takes that much time. Just because it does not seem like to much of an issue now, does not mean it will not be later. Also it may give him even more of a boost of confidence when he can get all he wants out clearly. I had a child with speech problems progress, then regress. Yes, kids will tease him at school. I have heard it as early as preschool. Not all kids are understanding. Do you work with him at home?

Of course it is for him but it is about our entire family.  Because we go through this together.  At least that's how we've operated thus far. That's my baby.  I want him to be okay.  It's just hard looking at the reality.  And that is all that selfish little tirade was. 

I know you are 100% correct about how kids are.  They attend a co-op preschool and I have seen some heartbreaking examples. He's always been liked, even though he never spoke at school until May.  I don't know if he regressed or his vocabulary and communication burst made it apparent. Some of his articulation difficulties are within the normal range but until fairly recently he never spoke in public and the complexity of his communications was minimal. 

6 months ago: "I want a banana"

Now: "Mom remember the time I had a banana at grandma's house and I dropped some and the dog ate it- that was funny. Her name is Shannon, right?  Do we have any ripe bananas?"   So obviously it requires a lot more effort for him to get out and me to interpret. 

I am glad the pedi gave me a  push, the DH is glad, too.  At least he has a year before K if he needs it... Doesn't mean I'm thrilled- lol!

• rsd12rsd12 member
    I get where you are coming from, but I try to look at it as I would rather have my kids get the extra help they need now than have issues when they are older. In preschool and kindergarten kids do not notice much! But it still hurts as a mom.

This is coming from a mom who has currently a soon to be kindergartner that use to whisper is preschool and will be continue to receive speech services in the fall. And another child that has a birth defect that also had speech services through kindergarten.

The best thing you can do for your child is be their advocate.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • imagersd12:
    I get where you are coming from, but I try to look at it as I would rather have my kids get the extra help they need now than have issues when they are older. In preschool and kindergarten kids do not notice much! But it still hurts as a mom. This is coming from a mom who has currently a soon to be kindergartner that use to whisper is preschool and will be continue to receive speech services in the fall. And another child that has a birth defect that also had speech services through kindergarten. The best thing you can do for your child is be their advocate.

For sure.  Before kids I was an advocate for families with kids with autism.  I wouldn't ever withhold or not pursue professional insight or services.  It was just my woe-is-me boohoo vent because as you know. as mama you hold it together for everyone else and couldn't actually say that selfish stuff out loud.

• My apologies for jumping down your throat.

I swear half the parents in C's class "don't want to" or "the school does it all". I want to beat my head into the wall. I wanted to cry when one family has 2 girls with serious speech issues and our area offers several free summer programs. Last year I had C in 3 different therapies making sure there was no back slide. This family only got into one  for only one daughter because "our daughter never gave us the paper". Umm, you are suppose to check your 3 and 4 year olds backpack. Not wait for them to hand it to you. This year their daughter is in none because the teacher did not tell them about it... I guess the packets put in both of the folders were never looked at. *sighs* and their girls are picked up. So I know it did not "get lost on the bus".  Not that it would, the bus driver takes backpacks and returns them when the kids get off.  There is more to their story which makes me want to cry even more, but I will not go there. DH use to work with the husband.

Anyway, I projected it onto you. Sorry.

And now back to my world of C talking non stop. I will not lie, there are times I miss the speech apraxia. I am not saying I regret the help and working past it, Just sometimes I miss the break in talking. lol Now it is non stop. Mommy needs a break.... and more sleep.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • I totally feel you on not wanting it and while I 100% would tell all other parents there is nothing wrong with getting help I cannot help but feel kicked in the gut that my child needs to start speech again in 1st grade because like you I got him EI and never thought I would be back here again. And in our situation his pronunciation is awesome but his breathing pattern can be off and they are calling it a stutter and I do not even see it at home anymore because we worked on it but the teacher said it got worse in class and it kills me that I cannot help him with that because I am not there. And as ridiculous as it sounds I hate that he now has an IEP and feel like they are saying he is not perfect which I realize is insane but as a Mom you cannot help it.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"