Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Dr said we can stop whole milk?

We took DD in for her 2 year check up and the doctor said we can switch to 2% or even 1%. I should have asked her more about this but I thought the lo's pretty much stay on whole milk thourgh toddlerhood. Anyone elses pedi tell them this? She is pretty much 50th percentile on everything.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dr said we can stop whole milk?

• Options

It's normal for your pedi to say this.

Although mine said as long as she was still eating other stuff great what kind of milk didn't so much matter.

• Options

imagemichyme123:
    imageDaisyBlinks:
    hmmm...is it harmful for them to have 2 before age two then? We'll occasionally give it to DS if it's all we can find usually at a restaurant I figured it was ok, as long as whole milk makes up most of his 'milk diet'. I mean, he's probably only had six sippies of the stuff his whole life...but still. Should we stick to just water when we can't find whole milk?
    2 percent is fine on those occasions. They just say whole milk because there is more fat. I would give 2 percent over water...

Just curious why you would give 2 percent over water? I agree that 2 percent is fine and that whole milk is suggested for the fat. I was just curious about your last statement.

chaseandchristian again

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagedairygirl19:

It's normal for your pedi to say this.

Although mine said as long as she was still eating other stuff great what kind of milk didn't so much matter.

We plan to give LO almond milk from the start when we switch so it's not a traditional Whole, 2% or 1%. Pedi said that was fine, it's mostly for the calcium which all have obviously. A balanced diet will provide the fat. So stick with whole or choose to do reduced. Or a little of both :)

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    No, that's normal. All doctors say that and that's a normal thing to do. That being said, there is nothing preventing you from giving your kid whole milk OR drinking it yourself if you want. All it is, is just some extra fat. If you and LO are active etc by all means stay on whole milk.
  • Options
    We had our 15m apt today, and my doctor actually said that we could switch him to skim, 1% or 2% if we wanted.  She said that the recommendations are changing again, and the other milks are fine as well. That being said, I will probably keep him on whole milk until 2.  He is 97 percentile in weight so he obviously doesn't need the extra fat for weight, but I've read that it helps with brain development.
  • Options
    I took baby to her one year checkup on Thursday and the pedi said their practice no longer recommends whole milk except for underweight babies.  She told me to go ahead and do 2%.  We put older LO on 2% at 14 months because he was a chunker and at his 2 year appt the doctor even suggested skim milk but he won't drink it and I don't blame him.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Options
    My pedi's new recommendation is actually to keep them on whole milk until age 3 - the fat is good for their brain development.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options

imagemichyme123:
    imageDaisyBlinks:
    hmmm...is it harmful for them to have 2 before age two then? We'll occasionally give it to DS if it's all we can find usually at a restaurant I figured it was ok, as long as whole milk makes up most of his 'milk diet'. I mean, he's probably only had six sippies of the stuff his whole life...but still. Should we stick to just water when we can't find whole milk?
    2 percent is fine on those occasions. They just say whole milk because there is more fat. I would give 2 percent over water...

Ya, I'm sure it's fine. We've given DS 1-2% when we're out at restaurants.

I was planning on switching to 2% around DS's 2nd birthday. I hate whole milk so the sooner I can get it out of my house the better, haha. 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options
    Yep, that's pretty normal. Our Pedi said that they keep changing and all Pedis have a little different opinion but he prefers they be on whole until at least two year, because the others have more sodium, and the kids need fat over sodium. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageharmonicbabe26:
    No, that's normal. All doctors say that and that's a normal thing to do. That being said, there is nothing preventing you from giving your kid whole milk OR drinking it yourself if you want. All it is, is just some extra fat. If you and LO are active etc by all means stay on whole milk.

This.  I have a friend who had always drank whole milk, even now.  DH and I drink whole milk too since LO started drinking it. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    shannmshannm member
    We went to skim milk at 2 so I don't think your doc's advice was abnormal.
  • Options
    When DD turned 2, we were told the same thing. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    We have done 2percent since she stopped bfing at one year. She refused to drink whole, so we figured 2percent was better than nothing. Her doctor said it was okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am late to the party but DD drinks whole milk, every once in a while when we are at my parents I give her 2% because that's all they buy. I'm sure its fine, but I will keep DD on whole milk for a few more years.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MrsT2008 said:
    My pedi's new recommendation is actually to keep them on whole milk until age 3 - the fat is good for their brain development.

This!  My pedi has never said a word about switching to 2% and DD has her 18 month appointment in a couple of weeks.  She's 50th percentile for weight but she's super tall (98th for height).  I know a lot of pedi's who will recommend switching and I just don't agree.  Kids need the fat for brain development.  I plan on keeping DD on whole milk until she's at least 3.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Everyone in my household, including myself and DH, only drink whole milk. I'm a believer that fat is good for you. Whole milk, full-fat yogurt, butter, etc. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"