June 2013 Moms

Puppy While Pregnant

Ok ladies so I need honest opinions...we are thinking about getting a 2 month old puppy next week.

We currently have a 4 year old German Shephead mix and a 2.5 year old daughter. We have a relatively big house and an ok size yard. My husband has been begging for a chocolate lab forever and one became available from a friend for free. Just needs shots and to be fixed.

We got our first dog when I was 6 weeks pregnant with DD and we never had any problems. Am I crazy for considering the puppy at this stage in pregnancy? DH would do all the clean up outside and our house is tile so accidents are relatively easy to clean. Plus DD is absolutely in love with dogs and this would make her year
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Puppy While Pregnant

• Honestly, I'd rather shoot myself in the face than get a puppy at this point.

I got both of my dogs as puppies and they weren't okay with being on their own through the night for a good six months each.

So that's another year of sleep I've missed out on.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • And I'm not opposed to puppies while pregnant. I'm opposed to having a puppy AND a newborn.
  • Loading the player...
  • So you would have a toddler, newborn and a puppy? Sounds like you have a lot of patience and energy! I do see the appeal though, plus a friend for the dog you already have would be nice.
  • Oh hell no. No way. Don't do it. This face:

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's just your motherly genes kicking in telling you that you want to take care of something. Once your baby gets here though you probably will just be annoyed by the puppy. When I was PG with DS1 I thought I wanted a puppy too at the end of my pregnancy. I'm super happy that I didn't get one.

If I were you, I would just wait until after the baby comes and things settle down. If you still want  a puppy you can always get one. It's much harder to get rid of an animal once it's in the home.

• no way would I do it, but that's me! But if you have a fenced in back yard, where the puppy isn't always inside, and a potty trained older dog to help out with training puppy- maybe it wouldn't be such a huge deal.

we found a black lab puppy.....and boy did he grow fast! and he chewed on EVERYTHING!! I seriously couldn't handle how big he was, and how much of a little kid he was. LOL. he was too much work for me. My friend took him off our hands- and he is doing great. I loved him....I just couldn't deal with such a large dog.

But, if you are able, and willing...and don't mind being sleep deprived a little early- DH will pick up messes- maybe go for it! Follow what your gut tells you!

• It's hard but doable.  When I was 8 mos pg with #2, we adopted a 4 mo puppy.  It was crazy town.  Three weeks ago, we adopted a 1.5 yo puppy and it's crazy town.

We already have an almost 8 yo dog and an 8 yo cat too.  Cray cray here :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebrandilc84:
    we found a black lab puppy.....and boy did he grow fast! and he chewed on EVERYTHING!! I seriously couldn't handle how big he was, and how much of a little kid he was. LOL. he was too much work for me. My friend took him off our hands and he is doing great. I loved him....I just couldn't deal with such a large dog.

Lol it's not the size of the dog that is the issue with labs. They're just all effing crazy, as a breed.

• I have a 15 month old white lab and he is amazing. We love him so much... but he is A LOT of work. He was potty trained in about 3 weeks (we brought him home at 9 weeks old) and slept through the night at about 5 months old. Labs need to be exercised regularly, so if your hubby is willing to take him out to play ball or run with him he should be fine. Good luck!
  • There is no way I would get a puppy right now. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• imageemolm:
    Honestly, I'd rather shoot myself in the face than get a puppy at this point.

I got both of my dogs as puppies and they weren't okay with being on their own through the night for a good six months each.

So that's another year of sleep I've missed out on.

This. There's no WAY. Dear God don't do it.
  • I'm tired just reading this post lol! I would never. But I have a lot on my plate right now, but it sounds like you do too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for your honest opinions! I'm not sure I want to jump on the crazy train...it comes down to if I'm willing to sacrifice my sanity for DH and DD's love of puppies...y'all are making me lean towards NO!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DON'T DO IT!!!! We got a 3 month old golden doodle in dec for DD and he is a great dog, but I so wish we would have waiting until we were done havig kids!!! It's like I've had a newborn while waiting for my newborn! I repeat DO NOT DO IT!!!
    Baby girl #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oy! I'm a huge animal lover and we got our puppy at 16 weeks, one month before we got pregnant. I'm worried enough about him not being out if his puppy stage when baby comes... And he has been a nightmare puppy! Chewing up our couch, peeing on the couch, licking his pee as it comes out, eating his poo, barking like mad at everything... Ugh... I'm never getting a puppy again. And I would never get a lab...that is just me! They are eternal puppies and being that I work in the surgery dept at a specialty animal hospital I can tell you they are the number 1 breed to have torn cruciate ligaments, which is a knee problem, and that'll cost you 3 to 4000 per leg to fix and they got 2 that can blow! They also get elbow dysplasia and blah blah.... Too much breeding... Yadda yadda.... Anyway, I would hold off.

image image

• We got a puppy right before I got pregnant, and I couldn't imagine dealing with that kind of stress at the moment.  Having to get up in the middle of the night for puppy pee trips outside etc ... and the general stress of potty training a pup.  

However, if you're set on it, then maybe now would be preferable to with an exceedingly small baby. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • imagemedschoolwife:
    Thanks for your honest opinions! I'm not sure I want to jump on the crazy train...it comes down to if I'm willing tonbsp;sacrificenbsp;my sanity for DH and DD's love of puppies...y'all are making me lean towards NO!

Based on your husband's career path, I'd say no. Wait a year.
  • Don't do it.  Everything everyone else said.  I would go insane with a puppy and a newborn.  LOL I think my blood pressure is rising just at the thought!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My husband brought home a year old German Shepard/rott mix. We have a three year old dog as well. Honestly, it hasn't been that bad, but as a compromise I negotiated a cleaning lady
  • imagemedschoolwife:
    Thanks for your honest opinions! I'm not sure I want to jump on the crazy train...it comes down to if I'm willing to sacrifice my sanity for DH and DD's love of puppies...y'all are making me lean towards NO!

There will be other labs that need good homes in the future. I think put the puppy on hold for now, but leave that door open in the future. I think having a new baby in the house will make your DD's year too!

imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • My puppy is almost 9 months and he drives me freaking crazy. Puppy stage is the worst and I want to cry even thinking of ever doing that again with or without a newborn/toddler.

Im with the majority here. Don't do it.

Eta: sorry I was being a dirty lurker! I just seriously almost cried thinking of having a new puppy
    Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • LuthyLuthy member
    I would die. DIE. I think a puppy while PREGNANT is fine... it's a puppy with a newborn that I can't even begin to imagine. Puppies are soooo much work. Not to mention often really annoying. (Good thing they're so cute...)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"