Baby Showers
Options

Pricey gift

I love my BFF, she has such a big heart.  She wants to buy us a $200 baby monitor.  She had bought the same for a family member of hers and loved it so she wants to get it for us as well.  Problem is, her DH lost his job permanently due to injury and she works PT.  I know they can't afford it and she told me it would go on credit.  I feel horrible accepting a gift that is out of her price range.  Should I politely accept or make suggestions for less expensive options?  We are really close and I don't want to offend her.

Re: Pricey gift

• Options
    I would thank her and let her know that there is something else that you really need. Make it seem as if you need something more than the monitors and see if she is okay with that. It sounds like you have a great friend though. I don't think you would offend her.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• Options

imagefennyann:
    I would thank her and let her know that there is something else that you really need. Make it seem as if you need something more than the monitors and see if she is okay with that. It sounds like you have a great friend though. I don't think you would offend her.

I agree with this. It's really sweet that she wants to get you a nice gift, but knowing her situation I would feel uncomfortable accepting a such a pricey gift if it were me. I think suggesting a less expensive gift would be fine since she will probably get you something anyway.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Can you afford the monitor? Do you want the monitor? Run out and get one! Then tell her that you already got one but you are rea lly hoping to get XYZ instead....some other cost effective option.

• Options
    imageLaineyPaney:

Can you afford the monitor? Do you want the monitor? Run out and get one! Then tell her that you already got one but you are rea lly hoping to get XYZ instead....some other cost effective option.

I can afford it, but I wouldn't have bought one so pricey anyway!  We don't really need a video monitor.  We have a small place.  

I tried so hard to tell her it wasn't necessary and she didn't have to do that, but she got in stubborn mode and it is impossible to get this woman out it!  Unless I just bluntly tell her thank you but no, she's going to buy and I am going to find ways to pay for other things to make up for it.

• Options
    imagebosoxy:
    imageLaineyPaney:

I can afford it, but I wouldn't have bought one so pricey anyway!  We don't really need a video monitor.  We have a small place.  

I tried so hard to tell her it wasn't necessary and she didn't have to do that, but she got in stubborn mode and it is impossible to get this woman out it!  Unless I just bluntly tell her thank you but no, she's going to buy and I am going to find ways to pay for other things to make up for it.

Could you delete it off your registry and tell her someone bought it for you, then add it back later?  Or buy it and then return it?  Then drop hints about something at a much lower price point. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Do you have a monitor on your registry?  If you do then buy that one and tell her someone (maybe make up a fake aunt/cousin/etc) bought it for you and sent it in the mail and did not include a reciept.  OR...if you do not have one on your registry buy the one you want yourself and use the same scenario. 

Personally, I kind of wonder why she told you she wanted to get it for you but would put it on credit.

• Options
    bosoxybosoxy member

My registry isn't public yet, too early.  And I don't have plans for a monitor because we have a 865 sq ft place.  We have plans to buy a large home, but not for a little while after the baby is born.

But I can't seem to get through to her that this isn't something we need.  When she gets an idea like this, I can't stop her.  I am hoping that she won't be buying it for a long time so she might forget or think of something else.

I will try again to persuade her otherwise if she brings it up again. 

• Options
    In my experience just let her get it. My MIL was in the same boat and she was very hurt that we told her that a big gift in not needed. She still talks about it to this day how we think she's useless just based off the situation. It's not worth hearing about for years if she's the kind of person that REALLY wants to do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If its a big deal maybe let her buy it for you and in a round about way do something nice for her that would also be useful. Ie. thank you for being so supportive during this pregnancy and for being such a big part if my life, here are some gift cards to your fav stores to let you know I appreciate you. Then she can buy herself some necessities and it lessens her spending in a round about way.
  • Options
    bosoxybosoxy member

imagekateraid:
    If its a big deal maybe let her buy it for you and in a round about way do something nice for her that would also be useful. Ie. thank you for being so supportive during this pregnancy and for being such a big part if my life, here are some gift cards to your fav stores to let you know I appreciate you. Then she can buy herself some necessities and it lessens her spending in a round about way.

That is exactly what I was thinking I should do.  Thanks for confirming it for me! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"