Homeschooling

another reason that I'm homeschooling

we had a local teacher get into trouble for asking her high school students to write a paper from the nazi pov. I dont know how the assignment was presented, maybe it was worded in a very crude way and could have been dealt with in a more appropriate manner...BUT I cant see how it is this big of a deal to ask 10th graders to think out side of the box!

I want LO to learn to play the devils advocate, I think that it will be very good for him. I just feel like the school is trying to be overly PC and not ruffle any feathers. thoughts?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/13/nazi-jew-assignment_n_3078288.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: another reason that I'm homeschooling

• Oh my goodness.  That's ridiculous.

I had a German teacher in high school that used to ask us to put ourselves in the shoes of the nazis - what would you do if the government was threatening the safety of your family and had a gun to your head - stuff like that.   I think it helped me to grow some empathy and to help mature morally as I had to decide what I would do in those situations.

For Pete's sake.  Thank goodness that my kids will have more freedom in their educations (at least for now - until the PC police start invading my home too).

• Good Grief!

I agree, avoiding the "PC police" is another great reason to home school.

• Loading the player...
  • image+adamwife+:

Oh my goodness.  That's ridiculous.

I had a German teacher in high school that used to ask us to put ourselves in the shoes of the nazis - what would you do if the government was threatening the safety of your family and had a gun to your head - stuff like that.   I think it helped me to grow some empathy and to help mature morally as I had to decide what I would do in those situations.

For Pete's sake.  Thank goodness that my kids will have more freedom in their educations (at least for now - until the PC police start invading my home too).

This is interesting. I think most of history taught in public schools is so oversimplified to achieve the goals of 1. brevity, to be able to squeeze it all in 2. simply enough for the lowest common denominator (a crude description, I'm sorry, but I can't think of a better term) of students' levels to understand/memorize and 3. cleaned up enough to not offend anyone.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have actually had to do this very assignment the one year I was in public school. I do not see what was so terrible. The soldiers were mostly forced into service whether they wanted to or not. I think it was a great exercise in compassion too.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• imageDC2London:
    imagehonkytonk_kid:
    image+adamwife+:

Oh my goodness.  That's ridiculous.

This is interesting. I think most of history taught in public schools is so oversimplified to achieve the goals of 1. brevity, to be able to squeeze it all in 2. simply enough for the lowest common denominator (a crude description, I'm sorry, but I can't think of a better term) of students' levels to understand/memorize and 3. cleaned up enough to not offend anyone.

This is actually one of my H's reservations about homeschool.  He's afraid that we will be doing our kids a short-term disservice by teaching them the truth about history, and then if they go to public school at some point they'll be told that what we've taught them is "wrong." 

You teach them to cite factual support documentation. You teach them to reply to someone with "prove your point with some facts, not just what your teacher told you."

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I'm sorry, I just have to ask... Your husband is hesitant to homeschool because he's concerned that if you teach your child the truth, they may be told at a later date that what you taught them is wrong? So, it's best to avoid doing it right so that no one can later say you did it wrong? That makes absolutely no sense...
  • imageLshwarts:
    I'm sorry, I just have to ask... Your husband is hesitant to homeschool because he's concerned that if you teach your child the truth, they may be told at a later date that what you taught them is wrong? So, it's best to avoid doing it right so that no one can later say you did it wrong? That makes absolutely no sense...

I thought she meant that her husband wouldn't want them going to public school at all after HSing... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"