Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Making a Stash

Hi, I am on the waiting list for surgery that is 8-9 weeks long.  I've been told that I shouldn't BF for 5 days after the surgery to ensure that all of the drugs have left my system.  I figure that I'll need a week's worth of milk stashed away to include the day of the surgery and anything else I can't think of.  Additionally, LO will be 8-9 weeks older and most likely eating more each meal. (He's 12 weeks now).

Right now, I have about 2 days' worth of milk frozen away, but I really only produce as much as LO needs.  I am wondering how I can increase my supply so that I can get an extra feed's worth of milk pumped off and frozen every day.  I am thinking of pumping anything left over at the end of a feed, to make my boobs think that LO is a bit hungrier than expected, and therefore increase my supply bit by bit.

Does this sound like a good idea?  Is there a better way to do this?  Any advice is welcome, thanks! Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Making a Stash

• Options
    imageSebsMum:

Hi, I am on the waiting list for surgery that is 8-9 weeks long.  I've been told that I shouldn't BF for 5 days

• Options
    You can take fenugreek, eat oatmeal, drinks lots of water. All of this can increase your supply. I would always feed one side and pump the other she she was really young. I built a good stash then.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    5 days does seem like a long time.  I had a CAT scan and only had to dump for 24 hrs.  Look on the Americ. Assoc. of Peds website.  I also asked the technician that did my procedure and he also told me 24 hrs 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would ask the doctors to check in Dr. Thomas Hales book as he has done extensive research into medications and mothers milk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The other suggestions are good, and we also did lactation cookies.  I would recommend what you suggested already: pumping after you feed.

My supply started off as adequate...never had a ton left over like some...and it has only decreas

• Options
    I had a surgery when my Lo was about the same age, and I only needed for 24 hrs. I increased it by pumping an hour after my lo had nursed making my body think oh, she's hungry again, gotta get it going. It worked, and I only did this about 2-3 times a day
  • Options

I'll be getting my ACL reconstructed, so I'm going under, but I was told that I would be given morphine afterward, which is why I would have to continue to pump and dump for the 5 days (they said it takes that long for it to leave the system).

To

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"