August 2011 Moms
Options

Does this strike you as odd?

My co-worker is pretty upset this morning.

A male friend bought her husband tickets for China. It's going to be just the 2 of them (friend and husband)  for 2 weeks in June.

This is something her husband had brought up a few months ago, but more in a "Friend says he wants to buy me a ticket to China - Yeah right Ha Ha" way. They never discussed it seriously because they never thought it would actually happen.

And now my co-worker's husband has these tickets to go to China alone with his guy friend. I should add that my CW and her H have been friends with this guy for 10+ years and this is very out of character for him.

Also, my CW and her H have 2 small children.

Sooooo... what does everyone think? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Does this strike you as odd?

• Options

Personally, I would be upset if I were in my CW's shoes.

For one thing, you don't just decide to take off for two weeks without checking with your partner first - especially when you have small children. Plus tickets to China are freaking expensive, so I couldn't help but wonder what THAT was about, you know? Like does my husband owe our friend money that I don't know about? Does the friend have some ulterior motive for this sudden act of generosity?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

That's very odd.

I've been to China, and that is a really expensive trip - we got off "cheap" because we stayed with a friend for most of the time, but the airfare alone is still really expensive.

And to expect him to take two weeks of vacation and leave his family behind without really discussing it is also odd. I could understand a weekend trip to somewhere on the same continent, but not a two week international trip.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow, that's weird!

I'd be really upset, for a lot of reasons.  Mainly, my husband doesn't take lengthy vacations often - tough in a family business, although he does get time when he wants it -  so I'd be super upset that he was going away for two entire vacation weeks without our family. 

And yeah, great that the tickets are paid for and all...but I would still think that's going to be a huge chunk of change out of pocket for him to be gone two whole weeks.  We have a very limited vacation budget, so I'd be upset it all of that money was going to be spent a trip that leaves out the kid(s) and I, ya know?

The situation sounds strange on many levels!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageKimbus22:
    I think that's beyond weird and I would assume that the husband and coworker are friends in the same way the guys in Brokeback Mountain were friends. nbsp;Because that is the ONLY reason this would make even a little sense to me.DH's friends are going to Amsterdam and he wants to go. I laughed at him for like 4 days when he suggested it.nbsp;

This gave me the Brokeback Mountain friend feel too. Very strange.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageRachey1082:
    imageKimbus22:
    I think that's beyond weird and I would assume that the husband and coworker are friends in the same way the guys in Brokeback Mountain were friends. nbsp;Because that is the ONLY reason this would make even a little sense to me.DH's friends are going to Amsterdam and he wants to go. I laughed at him for like 4 days when he suggested it.nbsp;
    This gave me the Brokeback Mountain friend feel too. Very strange.

I won't lie - I also definitely got the Brokeback Mountain vibe. And I think my CW does too. Not so much from her husband, but from the friend. She just thinks her husband is too naive to even see the strangeness of the situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"