Maryland Babies
Options

First Haircut

Hi Ladies,

DS is 16 months old and is in dire need of a haircut. DH and I have trimmed it ourselves in the past, but he was so squirmy and upset during our last attempt that he's been sporting an unfortunate mullet/Dumb and Dumber hybrid haircut all week. I think it's time that we take him to someone who actually knows what they're doing Embarrassed

Where did you take your LOs for their first "official" haircut? The only place I could think of off the top of my head was Cartoon Cuts in the Columbia Mall, but there's only one (albeit 5-star) review on Yelp. Has anyone tried them before?

Thanks so much! 

(Also, I keep forgetting this board is here and need to participate more often. You all have always had great advice in the past Smile)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First Haircut

• Options
    We've taken DS to Cartoon Cuts in Columbia Mall for all his hair cuts (4 so far - the first one at 12 months). For the first haircut, they will give you a certificate and save some of the hair in a tiny ziplock for you. If you go, you will want to arrive about 15 minutes before they open, otherwise you will wait an hour at least! They are great with the squirmy kids. I think soon we will start taking DS to Hair Cuttery instead just because it's closer to us and less packed, but I want to wait until DS is a bit older and less squirmy.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    imagerubysue267:

Hi Ladies,

DS is 16 months old and is in dire need of a haircut. DH and I have trimmed it ourselves in the past, but he was so squirmy and upset during our last attempt that he's been sporting an unfortunate mullet/Dumb and Dumber hybrid haircut all week. I think it's time that we take him to someone who actually knows what they're doing Embarrassed

Bahahahahaha! I totally LOLed at this because we have experienced this look in our house as well. I haven't tried Cartoon Cuts but my boss takes his kids there and likes it a lot. We usually go to Pigtails and Crewcuts in Annapolis which is very similar. Those places really know what they are doing and have a ton of stuff to distract little kids from the fact they are getting a hair cut, and are the best business idea ever.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've gone to a similar place called snipits, it's colorful, each station has a little TV to distract and they get a toy prize and a lollipop at the end (which I hold in front of DS face as a reminder to stay still) and they have even had another stylist come over to try and talk to him while it's getting done.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We've taken DS to Cartoon Cuts for all of his cuts (except the one time DH took him to his barber...who gave him a buzz cut that made me cry).  We've always been very happy with them.
    lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • Options
    We had an awful experience at Cartoon Cuts. Not only was the place filthy but there were only 2 people working who barely batted an eye when we walked in. I had to go up to one of the stations and ask if anyone could help us (the one woman was just sitting in the chair, not doing a cut). The woman then used clippers on poor DS and scared the you-know-what of him. He cried so hard, while I was holding him, that he threw up everywhere, which he has never done. Needless to say, we will never be going there again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I could have wrote this word for word, our experience was at the White Marsh location. She used clippers, he was traumatized, I was trying to comfort him and the woman made a comment like "it's just hair, it's not killing him". Plus it was 20, she did a crappy job, it was FILTHY in there..... I mean gross! So now we go to great clips in perry hall, the stylist we see is amazing with him. She uses scissors for the majority and just this last time clipped the back per my request. It was a much better experience and his hair looks awesome.

imageBillysGrl27:
    We had an awful experience at Cartoon Cuts. Not only was the place filthy but there were only 2 people working who barely batted an eye when we walked in. I had to go up to one of the stations and ask if anyone could help us the one woman was just sitting in the chair, not doing a cut. The woman then used clippers on poor DS and scared the youknowwhat of him. He cried so hard, while I was holding him, that he threw up everywhere, which he has never done. Needless to say, we will never be going there again.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Please never go to any cartoon cuts! My son is the perfect angel when it comes to getting haircuts and the women missed spots and kind of gave him a wierd mullet.

My son goes to a barber called Brian bounce in perry hall. They have a fire engine for the kids and the first haircut is free.

Good luck  

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences! I was pretty sold on Cartoon Cuts until I got to the last few reviews, haha. I think I might call around to the local Barber shops and see what they do for the little guys. Also, just wondering due to the difference in experiences - those of you who have used a CC, are you talking about the one in Columbia Mall? Per Yelp Reviews it looks like each franchise is vastly different from the next and just wanted to check before I completely rule them out.
  • Options
    I was at Columbia.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We also had a bad experience at CC in White Marsh....not traumatizing, justa dirty place and lots of crying kids....stylists didn't seem to care. We take our son to Sports Clips.  We have been to several locations and all are good...stylists are fast and know how to handle kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"