2nd Trimester
Options

Baby Girl 'Luca Eve'

Re: Baby Girl 'Luca Eve'

• Options
    imagelisa5201:

I like Luca on a girl or a boy, good name

If you want to feminize it, I also love Lucia (pronounced Lou-see-uh or Lou chee-uh, I've heard both) or Luciana (following same pronunciation)

I'm not sold on Eve as a middle, I like the name Eve in the first name spot only, but it's not terrible. I like Luca Evangeline better.

There are people who get super twisted about making sure boys only get boys names and girls only get girls name. Totally ridiculous, don't let it bother you.

OOOOO I love Evangeline or Evangelina for a middle name! The 'Eve' is for my husband's grandmother who passed away last year. (One of my top ten favorite people.) Love her and her name in all its forms- hmmm- will be trying that on today! thank you! 

• Options
    PS. The eyes on your little one are absolutely stunning!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemommyofL&S:
    PS. The eyes on your little one are absolutely stunning!!!!

Thank you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSydney0130:
    If you love the name then go for it, my name is traditionally a boys name and I turned out just fine. I think it actually has some MAJOR advantages.

This.

Pregnancy Ticker Nathan Robert 12.18.08
  • Options
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageJoy2611:

I can't believe this.  Luca is boy's name.  It is not girly.  The absolute obsession in American culture of slapping boy's names on girls is annoying at best, disgusting at worst. 

It does not have MAJOR advantages, Sydney.  Are you referring to the way that a girl might slip past job interviewers looking for a man?  Or that teaching a girl to have masculine characteristics is far better than having feminine ones?  I find that woefully misguided.

100% agree. 

lol. Disgusting?!?

As someone with a name that is traditionally a man, i have found that it does have it's advantages. Especially, in the industry I work in, which is so male-dominated. People assume I'm a guy since 90% of my correspondence is through email. Like it or not, I feel that people react to me differently than if my name was, say, Kandee or something else equally as stripperish.

And it's the reality of the world that we live in. Sorry.

Pregnancy Ticker Nathan Robert 12.18.08
  • Options
    Uh not all female names are stripperish thank you very much

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    imageRussianMommy:
    Uh not all female names are stripperish thank you very much
    Point.......

You.

• Options
    imageJoy2611:

I can't believe this.  Luca is boy's name.  It is not girly.  The absolute obsession in American culture of slapping boy's names on girls is annoying at best, disgusting at worst. 

It does not have MAJOR advantages, Sydney.  Are you referring to the way that a girl might slip past job interviewers looking for a man?  Or that teaching a girl to have masculine characteristics is far better than having feminine ones?  I find that woefully misguided.

You are ridiculous. If a job interviewer is looking for a man and contacts me, that isn't my fault. With that logic of yours, that would be like flaming someone for naming their child, boy OR girl, Taylor as it's generally a unisex name. That was not AT ALL what I meant but come to think of it, I've gotten every single job I've ever applied for so maybe it is because of my awesome name.

It has it's major advantages as in I'm not as easily forgotten as the 909 Kates or Lauras or Lindseys (no disrespect to common girls names, I'm all for them).  And masculine characteristics?? I'm one of the most feminine women I know so I'm not really sure what you were getting at with that. It seems you are the one who's woefully misguided. 

My sister's name is Spencer so how does that sit with you? Get over yourself. 

• Options
    imagemommyofL&S:

This really made me realize how much I love that name- no doubt a cute little girl with blonde ringlets and a stunning woman, both strong and feminine who if the name's not gone completely  the way of Ashley & Leslie by then, may just keep her a very good surprise! :)

Beautifully said. 

• Options
    Michaela and Michael are two different sounding names. Not comparable at all. Yes luca is a boys name. It's lukas in Italian.

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

Parents of boys, just a PSA: I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure your kid won't catch "the gay" because he shares his name with a few girls.

• Options
    imagelisa5201:
    Parents of boys, just a PSA: I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure your kid won't catch "the gay" because he shares his name with a few girls.

No one said anything about being gay.

• Options
    imageCarolynL8:
    For the record Luca is also a variant of Lucia in Hungarian... So I guess its a girls name after all. Or are we only going with Italian for reference?

The Hungarian Luca is pronounced like Lucia. OP specifically said the name is pronounced like Luke with an a, so in this case, yes. She's not talking about the Hungarian name, she's talking about the Italian name.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Options
    imagelisa5201:

Ha!!!!!
    My alltime favorite comment. Awe Lisa, exactly. After reading the idiocy in some of these 'opinions' if u just dont like the name aside I realize how stupid the question was in the first place. The gender thing simply does not matter. My sweet daughter will define her name, her genitalia will not.

Classic.;
  • Options
    imageCarolynL8:
    nbsp;EDIT forgot to hit "quote" russianmommynbsp;Its still a boys name with an "a" that someone decided to add to it.Luca Eve still doesnt bother me. Boys names dont bother me.Especially if the name sounds girly or if the name is a nickname turned into a name.Like the whole Alex thing.Most girls that I know that are named Alexandra are called Alex.nbsp; Should be able to name a girl Alex without a second thought.nbsp;For the record Luca is also a variant of Lucia in Hungarian... So I guess its a girls name after all. Or are we only going with Italian for reference?nbsp;

It's also a variant form of a girl's name in Dutch, but whatever :. And thank you!
  • Options
    From Behind the Name... apologies if this is a formatting mess...

Luca 1
    USAGE: Italian, Romanian, German
    PRONOUNCED: LOOkah Italian

Luca 2
    USAGE: Hungarian, Croatian
    PRONOUNCED: LOOtsah Croatian

Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Options
    Thank you! Madness:
  • Options

imagemommyofL&S:
    imagelisa5201:
    Ha!!!!! My alltime favorite comment. Awe Lisa, exactly. After reading the idiocy in some of these 'opinions' if u just dont like the name aside I realize how stupid the question was in the first place. The gender thing simply does not matter. My sweet daughter will define her name, her genitalia will not. Classic.;

How is this a classic comment when it is literally completely out of left field?  It isn't classic or witty or funny - it is random and taking things out of context.  It is actually really offensive to me that someone would be ignorant enough to take a simple preference (which was ASKED for by the OP) and turn it into something so incredibly charged.  Nobody here is homophobic and implying such is really obnoxious. 

I don't like masculine names on women.  It is just my opinion (no quotes necessary).  That doesn't mean I think my daughter would "catch the gay" if she were named Kade instead of Kate.  I just personally don't care for it.  I prefer strong feminine names.  I know not everyone likes my naming style and that is fine.  When I posted on BN before my kids were born I got lots of opinions - good and bad - and I absorbed them and moved on. 

The only defensive and rude responses have been through people who are personally offended by opinons that were requested.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    imageBliss+Berry:

imagemommyofL&S:
    imagelisa5201:

Ha!!!!!
    My alltime favorite comment. Awe Lisa, exactly. After reading the idiocy in some of these 'opinions' if u just dont like the name aside I realize how stupid the question was in the first place. The gender thing simply does not matter. My sweet daughter will define her name, her genitalia will not.

Classic.;

L&S, you asked for opinions and  immediately argued with anyone who offered an opinion you didn't like.  Why the quotations around "opinions"? Regardless of whether you agree or not, they are valid opinions, no need for quotations.  Just because you don't like them doesn't make them stupid or idiotic.  

Your hypocrisy is epic.   

Nope right off the bat the initial comment was beyond rude 'banging head' as she was so distressed by my name choice it wasnt just an opinion it was rude and the discussion by some very creepy women continued in that vein.
    I too have opinions they have been expressed and altogether this was helpful. There is such a thing as a respectful critique and an elevated conversation. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    I can't believe I just read through three pages of posts and not one person referenced the song "Luka" by Suzanne Vega?? That's what I think of when I hear it. I think it's different and great! Go for it!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageBliss+Berry:

imagemommyofL&S:
    imagelisa5201:
    Ha!!!!! My alltime favorite comment. Awe Lisa, exactly. After reading the idiocy in some of these 'opinions' if u just dont like the name aside I realize how stupid the question was in the first place. The gender thing simply does not matter. My sweet daughter will define her name, her genitalia will not. Classic.;

L&S, you asked for opinions and  immediately argued with anyone who offered an opinion you didn't like.  Why the quotations around "opinions"? Regardless of whether you agree or not, they are valid opinions, no need for quotations.  Just because you don't like them doesn't make them stupid or idiotic.  

Your hypocrisy is epic.   

Aren't you the one who said "Luca is a boy's name"? I fail to see how anyone would read that as an opinion when you seemingly stated it as a fact. Her quotations around opinions were justified in this case. If you're going to get nit-picky with how you perceive someone's post, maybe you should re-read yours as well.  

• Options

imageBliss+Berry:
    imageSydney0130:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imagemommyofL&S:
    imagelisa5201:

Your hypocrisy is epic.   

Aren't you the one who said "Luca is a boy's name"? I fail to see how anyone would read that as an opinion when you seemingly stated it as a fact. Her quotations around opinions were justified in this case. If you're going to get nit-picky with how you perceive someone's post, maybe you should re-read yours as well.  

It would be nice if you even attempted to make sense.  Go back and read what I wrote.  

Oh really? Please tell me how I misunderstood "It is a boy's name". Seems straight forward to me. I'd LOVE to know what part of what I said didn't make sense. You clearly understood me. 

• Options
    imageRussianMommy:

imagemommyofL&S:
    @Russianmommy: sorry, I meant on baby bump lol. The president of the US was elected to office with the name Barack Obama, I'm The president of the US was elected to office with a name like Barack Obama, I'm not worried about my baby's reception in life with a name like Luca Eve, I guess I realize now how silly I was to begin thinking like this. It is exceptionally beautiful, cute and sassy and sweet all at once. Thanks so much for working me through this all!

...what the heck did I just read?

HAHAHA I am having the worst day ever, thanks for cheering me up.

OP, I don't care if you want to give your daughter a boy's name, but don't expect everyone to love it. It's a boy's name, and you're just going to have to be okay with that if you choose it.

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    imageCarolynL8:
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageCarolynL8:

I think its harsh to refer to having a "boys" name as disgusting.

There are plenty of girl names out there that use to be boy names.

Its really not a big deal IMO. 

Im not going to name my girl a boy's name so people think she's a man via email or to get "man" power.

I just always happened to be into it. Like on that old show Sisters all of them had girls names BUT were referred to as Alex, Georgie, Frankie, and Teddy.

I personally dont love Georgie & Teddy but i LOVE Alex and sorta like Frankie.

It's all a preference.

Its one thing to give your opinion by saying you think a name is boyish but to say America's use of boy's names for a girl is "disgusting" is kinda taking it to a whole new level.

Id prefer to give my daughter a boyish name over an old lady name. That bothers me more. I wont give examples of names that I personally feel are old lady names because it isnt my place to insult people who may have one of these names.

I think Joy was referring to the American trend/obsession of boy names for girls as disgusting.  It's a strong opinion to have, and she's not alone.  

The names you refer to in your post are all nicknames for actual girl names Alex (Alexandra/Alexa) Georgia (Georgina/Georgianna) Frankie (Frances).  

The OP asked for opinions and people have strong opinions about boy names for girls.  Not everyone is going to agree.     

Right, they are nicknames. I was struggling for a while trying to figure out what Id name a daughter so that I could ultimately call her Alex. Alexandra? Alexandria? Alexa? Alexis? etc...

Then I just decided why not call her Alex? I am most likely going to commit another American faux pas and spell it differently too. Alyx? Alix? Who knows?

It is what it is.

To me Luca Eve doesnt sound like a boy.

Luke sounds like a boy.

Michaela not a boy.... Michael a boy.

Is Luca in fact a boys name? Based on what I read here I guess so. I honestly would think it could go either way without knowing the history of it.

Okay, naming your child "Alyx" is just plain cruel. Hopefully the baby's father can talk you out of that one. 

Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    imageCarolynL8:
    imagepinottoparenthood:
    imageCarolynL8:
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageCarolynL8:

Im not going to name my girl a boy's name so people think she's a man via email or to get "man" power.

I just always happened to be into it. Like on that old show Sisters all of them had girls names BUT were referred to as Alex, Georgie, Frankie, and Teddy.

It's all a preference.

Its one thing to give your opinion by saying you think a name is boyish but to say America's use of boy's names for a girl is "disgusting" is kinda taking it to a whole new level.

Id prefer to give my daughter a boyish name over an old lady name. That bothers me more. I wont give examples of names that I personally feel are old lady names because it isnt my place to insult people who may have one of these names.

I think Joy was referring to the American trend/obsession of boy names for girls as disgusting.  It's a strong opinion to have, and she's not alone.  

The names you refer to in your post are all nicknames for actual girl names Alex (Alexandra/Alexa) Georgia (Georgina/Georgianna) Frankie (Frances).  

The OP asked for opinions and people have strong opinions about boy names for girls.  Not everyone is going to agree.     

Right, they are nicknames. I was struggling for a while trying to figure out what Id name a daughter so that I could ultimately call her Alex. Alexandra? Alexandria? Alexa? Alexis? etc...

Then I just decided why not call her Alex? I am most likely going to commit another American faux pas and spell it differently too. Alyx? Alix? Who knows?

It is what it is.

Luke sounds like a boy.

Is Luca in fact a boys name? Based on what I read here I guess so. I honestly would think it could go either way without knowing the history of it.

Okay, naming your child "Alyx" is just plain cruel. Hopefully the baby's father can talk you out of that one. 

I never said I was going to do Alyx. I just said that I may explore other ways of spelling Alex since its going to be used as a girl's name.

What is Rhys? 

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-rhys-463935.htm

Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options

I think the point is it was a silly question for me to ask bc I truly do love her name and shouldn't have been so dumb as to put it out there for people to tarnish. Until the commentary it wasn't clear to me how much I love it. I was just curious and guess I thought if you didn't like her name you would just say so and not indulge such an onslaught of bitterness and exaggerated negativity. Kind of like if you ask an honest person how you look and they don't like it, anyone with a shred of tact would express that in a way that is not so ruthless and blood-thirsty as what's gone on in this thread. 

Now it's gone from nasty comments back and forth with me that I'm an ignorant flake looking for glitter and support to spanning out and really becoming offensive to other ladies. It's unbecoming of us (myself included) to speak this way to each other and especially to other women who are expecting. This use to be called a 'fragile state.' Not the case here;). Anyway, for my part I am sorry if I offended. I am withdrawing from the convo and thank you again for the constructive input. Good luck with all those baby bumps .  

• Options
    imageCarolynL8:
    imagepinottoparenthood:
    imageCarolynL8:
    imagepinottoparenthood:
    imageCarolynL8:
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageCarolynL8:

It's all a preference.

It is what it is.

Luke sounds like a boy.

I never said I was going to do Alyx. I just said that I may explore other ways of spelling Alex since its going to be used as a girl's name.

What is Rhys? 

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-rhys-463935.htm

To each their own but I dont think its nice of you to tell me that its cruel if I name my daughter Alyx but you're naming your son Rhys. 

I would never knock a name but Rhys is a lot odder than Alyx IMO.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I just personally think it's better not to make up names. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who don't like the name, but that's fine by me. I'm not really concerned about it.

Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options

The tone of posts like these, in my opinion, sometimes tends to be that girls are "stealing" boys names, and that names get sissified if girls use them and that you can't use a name anymore because it's "gone girl". I personally find this offensive, and a silly way to think. Hence the "gay" reference,it's like people are afraid their boys won't be perceived as masculine if they share a name with a girl. Ignorant and sexist in my opinion

It's fine if you don't like a name on a certain gender. I happen to not like "son" names like Addison on girls (it literally means "son of Adam"). But I think it's crazy to get so hung up on boys names being for boys and girls names being for girls. If we were discussing anything else at all the ridiculousness would be evident (OP: "I want my daughter to have a car theme nursery"  Reply: "Cars are FOR BOYS") 

I happen to like the name Toby fine for a dog, not my style for a human, and you can like Luca fine for a boy, and it can be not your style for a girl, but to get so angry/disgusted/venomous (there was a poster in another thread who wanted to punch women in the face for giving girls boys names) makes me shake my head.

• Options
    Luca on girl makes me want to vomit. That's my opinion, OP. If you get all butthurt when people give you honest opinions, maybe you shouldn't have asked for them.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageSydney0130:

imageBliss+Berry:
    imageSydney0130:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imagemommyofL&S:
    imagelisa5201:

Your hypocrisy is epic.   

It would be nice if you even attempted to make sense.  Go back and read what I wrote.  

Oh really? Please tell me how I misunderstood "It is a boy's name". Seems straight forward to me. I'd LOVE to know what part of what I said didn't make sense. You clearly understood me. 

Well, for one, I did offer an opinion in addition to the fact that it is a boy's name. Furthermore, when I was talking about opinions I was referring to all the opinions offered in the thread that the OP did not like, argued with and called idiotic, stupid and rude.  

Are you naturally this obtuse? 

I don't recall asking you if you offered an opinion in addition to what you stated as fact. I was able to read your post, but my point is YOU are one of the folks who stated it as a fact so for you to point out that everyone is entitled to their opinion in one post but offer your "opinion" as fact in another is a little ridiculous, Can you understand now?

To ask someone if they are obtuse because you have a difference of opinion on something and cannot agree makes no sense unless you were actually asking me if I was slow to comprehend or if I'm stupid. Is that what you're doing? I'm finding it hard to believe that an adult, about to have a child is calling me stupid because we don't agree.  As you said yourself, everyone is entitled to their thoughts. 

• Options
    I love that name. It's perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"