Breastfeeding
Options

Did I mess up?

I am having major doubts.  In the hospital LO was lethargic due to a long delivery and a diagnosis of Down's.  It took so long for her to start eating that she ended up in the NICU.   While there they wanted an EXACT measurement of what she was eating and she didn't get credit for anything she actually breast feed.  So I would pump, bottle feed what I'd pump and then we had to supliment with formula to reach their requirements.  Now that we're home I am EBF.  (I stopped pumping except to relieve my engorgement.). I was still producing so much milk that I dripped as I'm trying to feed LO.  She and I are still working on latching and continuing to stay latched.  But I'm worried that she isn't getting enough.  The geneticist told us to let her BF for an hour and stop even if she acts hungry.  Well, after meetings with the pediatrician and cardiologist today I decided to bottle feed LO because with a day of appointments i know she didnt get to eat as well as she needs to and now I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to pump enough to satisfy her.  Did I mess up?  I know your milk supply will adjust but I REALLY don't like using formula in the mean time. Help!

Re: Did I mess up?

• Options

Your baby should get what she needs if you EBF.  It sounds like you have a newborn.  My advice is to let her nurse as long as she wants, any time she wants- no stopping, no measuring- just you and her get the hang of it and enjoy! You should make enough to satisfy her.  There are so many appts with newborns that if she isn't making her weight goals you will know long before she goes hungry.  Formula is a slippery slope and I would avoid it if you can, if you are determined to EBF; not there is anything shameful about formula....  Try to relax and enjoy your baby.... GL!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"