Pre-School and Daycare

Birthday Question (your honest opinions needed)

Hi Ladies -

Here are the facts:

1) DS will be 4 in January and we want to have a kiddie birthday party for him.

2) DS's preschool has an unspoken rule - if you're celebrating your kid's birthday you need to invite not just some but all of the kids from preschool. There are 19 kids there in total.

3) There are 4-5 kids at preschool that DS is great friends with, so I'd like to have them at his party.

4) We have a lot of friends with kids (12 kids!)

5) Can't break the bank for this birthday party.

So - WWYD?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birthday Question (your honest opinions needed)

• Don't invite school friends. Or pick one from school. 12 kids is plenty. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'd let him take the lead on his party. How often does he see your friends' children?  Since he goes to school at least a few days a week (I'm assuming), he may prefer to have his school friends at his party. Kids at this age tend to have the closest relationships with those children they see on a regular basis.
    Hawaii
  • Loading the player...
  • If your DS plays with those kids outside if school too then I would invite them, otherwise I would stick to just friends/family with kids and not invite any of the school friends. In that case I would send cookies or muffins to school one day near his birthday to share with his class.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Pick either the school friends or the other friends. Or just invite the friends he's really close with, "unspoken rule" or not.

We usually do DD's parties at home. There's no way I'm shelling out a couple hundred bucks for a 3 or 4 year old's bday party at some overpriced venue. There's no reason kids can't have fun at a regular old-fashioned bday party.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would just invite your friends kids if, like PP, he plays with them a lot. 12 kids is a lot for a four year old party.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJune2007:
    . In that case I would send cookies or muffins to school one day near his birthday to share with his class.

This is what I did for DD 3rd birthday.

• I'd invite the 4-5 kids from school but do it outside of school (call, mail or email invitations.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would have a celebration at school and the 'other' friends at the b-day party. At DD's PS, some parents go all out on the school parties and hire magicians, clowns,etc...I'm more on a budget and would probably celebrate with cupcakes and maybe goody bags for the kiddos.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WTF with the unspoken rule.  Jesus.

Invite who you want.  I'd stick with his 4-5 friends and that's it.  No "your friends" or the whole damn class.

Have fun.

The end.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Don't do a big party for a 4 year old. Sorry, but that is my theory. I do a big bash for the first birthday party, because come on, how fun and cute. After that, it's super small and fun things with family, cake and presents at home. When my children are older (7,8) and are able to want to have input into who would come to their party, then I am willing to do a real kid-friend party. But I would never invite 19 kids, for example, to my 4 year olds party, some of whom my child probably doesn't even interact with! Just seems silly.
  • The friends that DS wanted to invite from school were all boys, so I invited all the boys, plus our 15 family friends/cousins.  I did invited via email.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'd just bring the ones he is bff's with. Screw the unspoken rule. That's life. You can't always invite the whole class
    -----------------------------
    Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
    Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
    click for toddler hilarity
  • My boys will be 4 in January, too. I'm asking them who they want to invite to their party. I ask them every few weeks to see who they consistently say (since I know sometimes they might mention they just happened to see that day but wouldn't normally think of). I agree with screw the unspoken rule. As long as you're not excluding just a few kids, I think it's unnecessary (and expensive!). I think we're just inviting 2 of the boys' classmates.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"