Late Term and Child Loss
Options

Tips please

My nephew was born at 24 weeks and passed away today, after 48 hours. I want to be there for my sister in law and her husband.

Question is, what was it you wanted/needed most during this time? More than the words I mean, but what type of physical help can I be to them? Anything to help them mourn and not have to worry about anything else.

Thank you,

Andrea

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tips please

• Options
    Bring them meals. The last thing I wanted to think about was cooking and eating. At the top of the page is a link to our blog where some if the ladies have given great suggestions for what to do and what not to do. I am so sorry for your family's loss.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

***Congratulations to my TTCAL buddy Roxyttandme!! It's a GIRL!! Charlotte arrived on 9/29!!!!***
    PGaL/PAL Always Welcome!!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your nephew. I agree with pp about bringing them meals. In the first few weeks if my family didn't bring me food I don't think I would have eaten anything. I don't think there's much you can do for them other than making sure they know you care. A few close friends still send me texts every once in a while just saying that they're thinking of me..it means a lot.

Jillian Rose- born 8/26/12 at 24 weeks. "It broke my heart to lose you but you didn't go alone, for a part of me went with you, the day God took you home"
    I love you always, my beautiful girl.

Hysteroscopy 3/1/13 Dx: Unicornuate uterus

|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation TrackeMy Ovulation Chart

BFP 3/18/13- Please be our Rainbow, we love you so much already.

6/4/13-Found out we're having a BOY!!

10/30/13-He's here!! Happy Birthday, Ryan! We love you so much! xo

Lilypie - (Bfmg)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am so sorry for your families loss...

I would also agree food...and also maybe someone to clean their house. But not just food the first week...I would say bring a meal once a week for a bit...it is almost guaranteed that they will not ask for help, or say they are ok, but it is almost also guaranteed that isn't the truth...after a few weeks I feel like I have needed to put on this brave face and act like I've moved on and I most certainly haven't....

image Noah Michael, born sleeping 9/29/12 at 19w 3d. We love you forever Little Man! image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 2/4/13 EDD: 10/11/13
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Patiently waiting for Buggirl to join me!!
    Beta #1 11dpo:89 Progesterone:38.9 Beta #2 18dpo:1940
    HB seen at 6w HB 8w 5d 176bpm! Its a BOY!
    grow rainbow grow!!!!
    All Always Welcome!!
  • Options
    I also agree with food. When I had my loss in August, some family friends brought food by, and it helped so much. Just try to give them some space right now as well as they process things. I'm so, so sorry for your family's loss.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    All the suggestions so far are good. I appreciated the food. Some people brought food to eat right away others gave us frozen foods (like a sampler from Omaha Steaks) to eat later. Having someone to help with light cleaning/dishes would be a help. Also, if they have pets someone to help walk the dogs, play with the dogs, play with the cats, empty the cat boxes would be a help. Also just being available to listen is a help.
    BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12

BFP  #4 - Beatrix V. Q. Born 6.2.13 at 23w6d.

My blog My chart
  • Options
    I agree with all of the PPs but I am going to mention something that I would have found incredibly helpful even though it may completely depend on the person. We had to make arrangements and the hospital gave us a massive list of places to contact. We had three days to complete this and did not have a personal funeral home. For both my DH and myself having to make these calls was brutal. I could not verbally state why were calling without crying.  If someone had offered to help make the calls we would have gladly gave them a list of questions to ask. 

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagebuggirl72:
    I agree with all of the PPs but I am going to mention something that I would have found incredibly helpful even though it may completely depend on the person. We had to make arrangements and the hospital gave us a massive list of places to contact. We had three days to complete this and did not have a personal funeral home. For both my DH and myself having to make these calls was brutal. I could not verbally state why were calling without crying.  If someone had offered to help make the calls we would have gladly gave them a list of questions to ask. 

I had not even thought about that part of it. Thank you so much! I definitely plan to be cooking.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm going to offer another sort of off-the-wall suggestion.  Go grocery shopping for them.  Either do it for them or offer to go with your sister-in-law.  DH's grandparents did this for us right after and at the time I thought it was odd until a few days later when everyone was gone and I needed milk - opened my fridge and there it was!  Grocery shopping can be difficult for us loss mommies.  Between all the babies, the baby aisle and the music they play in the stores, everything is a massive trigger.  Offering to go with at least can help keep her mind occupied or allow her someone to lean on if she starts to lose it.  So sorry for the loss of your nephew.

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"