Stay at Home Moms
Options

DO you care what your husbands friends think?

Let me rephrase this question since I seem to have confused some people. If your spouse "facebook friended" an ex girlfriend or an ex sex partner would you be ok with it? If this girl was in your spouses "mutual friend" circle would you be afraid to say something in fear that his friends would think your trying to control who he can be friends with? What are your views on this issue?

[Poll]

Re: DO you care what your husbands friends think?

• Options
    Well, if it's obvious that she's moved on with her life than I don't see a problem. If any of my exes wanted to be friends on facebook I don't think DH would mind. HS was like 12 years ago for us so we've clearly moved on. LOL. If there's other shady stuff going on than that's a different story. But just being Facebook friends, nah- I don't see the big deal. 
  • Options
    Sorry, OP, but this CP made me lol. It's like, "would you open a can of soup if it were monday and your dog was barking and some other information that is very specific to my personal situation?"
    But, to answer your question, I wouldn't care. I'm very confident in my marriage and in my husband's integrity....and I speak as someone who was HORRIBLY cheated on by my ex husband.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

To your original question- no, I don't much care what my DH's friends think.  In that, I wouldn't change myself for them or whatever.

I am friends with exes on facebook and so is DH.  I didn't "let" him friend them so they didn't think I was controlling toward him.  He friended them because he is still friends with them - same reason I am friends with some of my exes on facebook.  No big deal to us.  Neither one of us is threatened in any way.  In our relationship, we can never understand why this is such an issue for others.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    What if your husband/fiance had a problem with you accepting her friend request. Well lets not say problem...lets say he thought it was "wierd" that you would be ok with accepting the request. Then you and this girl comment on each other posts and what not from time to time talking about nonsense. Your husband is unsure as hes afraid one girl might say something "inappropriate" either intentionally or unintentionally to the other and spark a fire. What would you say then?
  • Options

imageFormerlyKrista555:
    Sorry, OP, but this CP made me lol. It's like, "would you open a can of soup if it were monday and your dog was barking and some other information that is very specific to my personal situation?" But, to answer your question, I wouldn't care. I'm very confident in my marriage and in my husband's integrity....and I speak as someone who was HORRIBLY cheated on by my ex husband.

Im sorry you were confused by the poll question. I don't know how to simplify "would you be ok if your husband added an ex sex partner on facebook" I suppose if your answer required circumstantial information your best option would be answer B.

• Options

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:
    What if your husband/fiance had a problem with you accepting her friend request. Well lets not say problem...lets say he thought it was "wierd" that you would be ok with accepting the request. Then you and this girl comment on each other posts and what not from time to time talking about nonsense. Your husband is unsure as hes afraid one girl might say something "inappropriate" either intentionally or unintentionally to the other and spark a fire. What would you say then?
    Huh??? If HE has a problem then I guess no one gets to be friends. This just got weird and confusing though.

You are confused because you are assuming I am referencing this post to my personal life in which I am not. Im just asking a latter of questions to see how another wife (or husband) would react in the event that an ex added their spouse on facebook. You do know that facebook is slowly becoming the number one reason of divorces now a days right?

• Options

LOL, I'm with NandaB in terms of being confused right now. 

To answer the question in the subject, no, I don't care what my husband's friends think.  After all this time, his friends are my friends at this point.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageBigmama00:

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:
    Huh??? If HE has a problem then I guess no one gets to be friends. This just got weird and confusing though.

You are confused because you are assuming I am referencing this post to my personal life in which I am not. Im just asking a latter of questions to see how another wife (or husband) would react in the event that an ex added their spouse on facebook. You do know that facebook is slowly becoming the number one reason of divorces now a days right?

No we are confused because you make no sense. I very seriously doubt you can find any scientific evidence to back up your ridiculous Facebook divorce claim.
  • Options
    Lol! This post is funny, confusing and evidently playing pretend all in one. I don't even know where to start! But I guess I'll try! 1: no I'm confident and mature. If he is goin to cheat or do something stupid to cost us our marriage I'd rather know sooner than later so I can move on. Plus, he is a big boy and can make his own decisions he doesn't need me to do this for him 2: if my hubs was still so immature his friends talked him into doing something, that could jepordize our marriage, I wouldn't have married him. 3: if it's all pretend than who cares. And if your asking this on the bump for a friend then get your own life and butt out of theirs. It will only cost you in the long run
  • Options
    DH and I were both friends on FB with one of his exes from HS for a while.  We all were from the same hometown (although I only knew her through him) and went to the same college.  I actually hung out with her on campus a couple of times.  I wouldn't have wanted him spending a lot of private time with her or being best friends as they had been in HS (just because of what all went down), but I never thought to have him delete her from FB or anything.  That just seems petty.  
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imageBigmama00:

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:

No we are confused because you make no sense. I very seriously doubt you can find any scientific evidence to back up your ridiculous Facebook divorce claim.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/08/facebook-us-divorces

Im sorry andrewsgirl...what was that? 

• Options
    imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:

Wait, so you don't actually want advice because this is all pretend?

To answer you question, No I'm not looking for advice. I don't think I mentioned I was in my post? This board is not just so that people can come on and complain about their lives and people can sit back and give advice they wouldnt take themselves. I wanted to ask a legit question to see what people thought on something that seems to be becoming an issue in our society. I dont understand why you are getting all up in arms about it?

• Options
    imagescatteredtrees:

imageBigmama00:
    This board is not just so that people can come on and complain about their lives and people can sit back and give advice they wouldnt take themselves.

Uh, what?

Nvm, thank you for your vote

• Options

Well, I am friends with an ex on FB so I can't really be a hypocrite Wink

As long as there isn't any inappropriate PMing or wall posts, then I don't see a big deal.

ETA: Clearly I should have read through all the responses first. This thread is crazycakes. Also, I'm going to wager that if facebook caused your divorce, your problems were bigger than a stupid comment on someone's status update.

• Options

This seems like a weird question if it means nothing personal to you at all. You were very specific in your 1st question for it to be just random. ie.. she isn't an ex, they just slept together.. it's a family facebook page not his personal.. and then the wife is the one who accepted the request and may or may not say something inappropriate? As for people not always posting to complain or ask for advice.. I disagree because that is mostly what this board is for. There are few random questions that don't at least partially pertain to the original posters lives.

To answer your question(s).. I don't care who DH is friends with on facebook, especially if it were a family facebook because you would obviously be reading everything.. no private messages or whatever. Both DH and I have multiple ex's we are still friends with on fb and in life. I trust him enough to not worry about it.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options
    As for the friends thing.. I'm not sure where that fits in. It seems strange that they'd care about that kind of thing. But since I don't care if he is friends with the girl, than I also don't care what his friends think. In most situations I don't care what they think.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options
    imageta78:

This seems like a weird question if it means nothing personal to you at all. You were very specific in your 1st question for it to be just random. ie.. she isn't an ex, they just slept together.. it's a family facebook page not his personal.. and then the wife is the one who accepted the request and may or may not say something inappropriate? As for people not always posting to complain or ask for advice.. I disagree because that is mostly what this board is for. There are few random questions that don't at least partially pertain to the original posters lives.

To answer your question(s).. I don't care who DH is friends with on facebook, especially if it were a family facebook because you would obviously be reading everything.. no private messages or whatever. Both DH and I have multiple ex's we are still friends with on fb and in life. I trust him enough to not worry about it.

Not specific enough for some. Thanks for the vote

• Options
    imageBigmama00:

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:

Crappy marriages are the reason for divorces. FB might highlight that, but with or without FB, marriages will fail if they're bad.

• Options
    imageBigmama00:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imageBigmama00:

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:

Is this a joke? Did you miss where I said scientific research? A bunch of lawyers agreeing on something for an article does not equal scientific research. What was that? You can't find said research? Shocking!
  • Options
    imageBigmama00:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imageBigmama00:

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:

Bc I get ALL my news from the Guardian.  

• Options
    I also have to say Bigmama thanks for the entertainment, and please do come back. Weekends are usually so slow here, we will take what we can get.
  • Options
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imageBigmama00:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imageBigmama00:

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:

Is this a joke? Did you miss where I said scientific research? A bunch of lawyers agreeing on something for an article does not equal scientific research. What was that? You can't find said research? Shocking!

I voted that I do not care. And it isn't facebook...it's the people in the marriage. Adults need to quit blaming their problems on technology and damn websites. F*cking up your marriage? Fix it..don't b*tch about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In most cases I would say no. Not because I don't trust MH, but what is the point of being fb friends with an x? I mean really, can any good come of it?!? I suppose if I were friends with her now or something it wouldn't be a problem but otherwise I just don't think it's a good idea.
  • Options
    imageQue_Syrah:

Well, I am friends with an ex on FB so I can't really be a hypocrite Wink

As long as there isn't any inappropriate PMing or wall posts, then I don't see a big deal.

ETA: Clearly I should have read through all the responses first. This thread is crazycakes. Also, I'm going to wager that if facebook caused your divorce, your problems were bigger than a stupid comment on someone's status update.

I was going to add an ETA similar to this but I'm too lazy to read the rest of the posts so I'll just did Que's.

• Options

#1: This post is hilarious.

#2: I don't care if my H is friends with an ex,on  FB or IRL.  A woman that he dated and stayed friendly with was actually a guest at our wedding.  I am confident enough in my marriage and our relationship to not worry about who he is friends with and would not say anything because I trust him.  I am friends w/ an ex on FB as well and DH trusts me.  It goes both ways.

#3: I agree that shiity marriages = divorce, not FB.  That is just ridiculous.  FB just makes it easier for the cheater to get caught because you leave a trail (same with texts and emails).

• Options
    imageBigmama00:

imageFormerlyKrista555:
    Sorry, OP, but this CP made me lol. It's like, "would you open a can of soup if it were monday and your dog was barking and some other information that is very specific to my personal situation?" But, to answer your question, I wouldn't care. I'm very confident in my marriage and in my husband's integrity....and I speak as someone who was HORRIBLY cheated on by my ex husband.

Im sorry you were confused by the poll question. I don't know how to simplify "would you be ok if your husband added an ex sex partner on facebook" I suppose if your answer required circumstantial information your best option would be answer B.

Is it the ex he has the kid with?

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    imageBigmama00:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imageBigmama00:

imageNandaB:
    imageBigmama00:

I don't think you're quite understanding what you're quoting.  Evidence from FB being used in divorce proceedings =/= facebook being the cause of your divorce.. Correlation does not equal causation.

Read this from your article:

The overall rate of divorce, however, appears to be unaffected by the advent of social networking. The most recent published data ? from 2009 ? shows the overall divorce rate declining, slightly more slowly than the shrinking percentage of Americans who get married every year.

To answer your original question, I would allow my DH to friend someone who he dated in the past but not because of what his friends think--because I trust him. On the contrary, I think being crazy possessive and insecure is a bigger marriage wrecker than allowing a former fling to "like" a few of his facebook comments.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJ&A2008:
    imageBigmama00:

imageFormerlyKrista555:

Is it the ex he has the kid with?

More details we don't know? 

• Options
    I don't think I would mind him being Facebook friend with an ex but hanging out with her would be a different story. We don't put ourselves in that situation even if it was in a group of friends. I would think that would be really awkward.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options

She's a troll.

Posted a story on BF about how her SO wants to give up his parental rights to a child with his ex.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    imageJ&A2008:

She's a troll.

Posted a story on BF about how her SO wants to give up his parental rights to a child with his ex.

If you are going to "accuse" me of being a troll at least have accurate information. That post said nothing about my SO giving up a child. I asked if anyone or their spouses had been in that situation and how they handled it or how they helped their spouse handle it. You can repost it on here if you'd like...

• Options
    imageJ&A2008:

She's a troll.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"