Baby Names
Options

Elisabeth...Opinions?

Elisabeth is now a top contender for us, but I just wanted to get some direct feedback on this name from the board. :)

1. WDYT of the name itself and the Elisabeth spelling vs. Elizabeth? 

2. Think she'll inevitably be called "Liz" even with the "s" spelling?

3. What are your favorite nicknames for Elisabeth?

4. We want to call her a nickname pretty consistently along with her full name...would this be confusing for her?

Thank you! :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Elisabeth...Opinions?

• Options
    I actually don't mind the s instead of z. It's almost less harsh in a way if that makes sense. She probably will have people calling her "Elizabeth" but if she's going by a nickname, they'll call her by that right? There are a lot of nn options too; Ellie, Beth, Lisa, Betty, Betsy, etc. It won't be confusing if you often call her by a nickname as well as her full name. A lot of kids go by their name and a nickname but I've never seen a child confused about it. :)

• Options

1. They're both nice, but I like the softness of the s spelling.

2. There are so many nns for Elizabeth that I don't think people automatically jump to Liz.

3. My faves are Betty, Bess, and Beth.

4. It hasn't been a problem for us ? we call DD by full name and nn interchangeably and she doesn't seem confused.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

This is actually the spelling we would use. I have Elisabeth on our short list. I worry that finding personalized items might be a bit difficult but that isn't enought to deter me. My favorite nn is Elsie.

Elsie is a family name but I don't think it ages well so we would use Elisabeth as the formal name. I also like Betsy.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

1) Elizabeth is a family name for me, but I have nothing against Elisabeth.

2) It's possible, but there's also Beth, Betsy, Betty, Ellie, Eli, Elsa, Lisa, Lissa, Liss, Elisa, Eliza...  I think people will call her by whatever name you use to introduce her.

3) I like Beth, Elsa and Lissa

4) My parents call me by my nn primarily, but they use my full name when they are feeling formal - usually either I just did something impressive, or I'm in big trouble.  I was never confused. 

• Options

Love Elisabeth with an "s".

No, I don't think Liz is a given. There are so many other great nicknames for Elisabeth. My SIL goes by Elisabeth or Beth. There's also Libby and Betsy.

I think Beth and Betsy are my faves.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    My mother in law spells her name with an S like that. They call her "sissy" :) Not really sure why lol
    Me 33, DH 33, Charlotte 5, Ethan 3
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. I like the name.  If it wasn't DH's cousin's name (Liz) and SIL middle name, I'd seriously consider it.

2. She'll be called what you call her.  Our DD is Jillian.  Everyone calls her Jillian with few exceptions, which she won't respond to.

3.  I LOVE Betsy.  I like Beth too but for some reason only associate it with Bethany.

4. Kids are smart.  They figure it out.  DD knows Ya-Ya's name is really Kathy, etc.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer the spelling of Elisabeth. It is such a beautiful name. My absolute favorite nn is Betsy.

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• Options

1. WDYT of the name itself and the Elisabeth spelling vs. Elizabeth? I prefer Elizabeth

2. Think she'll inevitably be called "Liz" even with the "s" spelling? No, there are a million NN for Elizabeth.

3. What are your favorite nicknames for Elisabeth? In order - Libby, Betty, Ellie, Beth

4. We want to call her a nickname pretty consistently along with her full name...would this be confusing for her?  Don't understand what you are getting at here... sorry, no help.

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options

1. I prefer Elizabeth.  Elisabeth just doesn't seem right.  However, full disclosure: my name is Elizabeth.  :)

2. She will get called Liz.  I get called Liz all the time, and correct people.  A friend of mine from college is an Elisabeth and she went by Liz.

3. Lizzy, Libby, Betty, Betsy, Eliza

4. It won't be confusing.  My sisters called me Lizzy, my friends called me Liz, my parents called me Elizabeth.   

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• Options

1) I am mom to an Elizabeth. I like both spellings, but we went with the "z" because she's named after someone.

2) No. There are so many nn's for Eliz(s)abeth that I don't think anyone would automatically assume.

3) DD is Betty. I also love Libby and Betsy.

4) I know many, many people that have grown up being called by a nickname or their real name and are not confused adults. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

1. WDYT of the name itself and the Elisabeth spelling vs. Elizabeth? I think "Elisabeth" looks backwards; not a fan.

2. Think she'll inevitably be called "Liz" even with the "s" spelling? No.

3. What are your favorite nicknames for Elisabeth? Eliza, Liza

4. We want to call her a nickname pretty consistently along with her full name...would this be confusing for her? No

• Options

Agree with everyone else - I like Elisabeth, don't think Liz would be an assumption for a nickname, and she definitely won't be confused if you call her by full name and nick name interchangeably.  

Is there a pronunciation difference between Elizabeth and Elisabeth?  Is it E-liz vs. E-liss?  Or is it basically the same? 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like either spelling. I would never asume her nn was Liz. With an Elisabeth you never know. There are so many nn. My favorite nn is Libby. And no I don't think it will be confusing for her to be called by a nn and a regular name. DD2 is only 9 months but she already responds to Lillie or Lil.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. WDYT of the name itself and the Elisabeth spelling vs. Elizabeth? 

I prefer the S spelling 

2. Think she'll inevitably be called "Liz" even with the "s" spelling?

Probably, but she can correct people. 

3. What are your favorite nicknames for Elisabeth?

In no particular order, Betsy and Libby. 

4. We want to call her a nickname pretty consistently along with her full name...would this be confusing for her?

No.  I don't think so.  My kids are under 3 and give me their attention regardless of whether I call them by their FNs or their NNs. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've always loved this spelling of the name.  I think the "s" is very soft and feminine.

As for nicknames, I don't think many people will automatically start calling her "Liz".  There are so many nn options for Elizabeth/Elisabeth, that I don't think people usually assume a specific one.

My favorite nn is probably Lissy.  Ellie is sweet too, but there are so many Ellie's running around out there, that it might not be the best choice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love love love Libby!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all the responses!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've never personally cared for the name, but if you're going to choose it, I would go with the "z" spelling over the "s" spelling. I just prefer it though. Also, it would make more sense to call her "Lizzy" and use that spelling as well, if there was an actual "z" in her name and not an "s". Just my thoughts.
    Anniversary
    c Untitled
    My Ovulation Chart
    *TTC #1 since June 2012*
    Married since 10/5/12!

*Me: 25**DH: 45*

*DX: Severe MFI- Low T, Delayed Ejaculation & Azoospermia*
    *Working to improve DH's numbers on Clomid & HCG injects before we can start IVF*
    *SA 1- No sperm* 7/25/12
    *SA 2- No sperm* 10/31/12
  • Options
    My High school best friend was Elisabeth who went by Liz.  And I have a cousin Elizabeth who goes by Betsy.  
  • Options

I prefer the 'z' spelling.  We have considered Elizabeth as a MN for our team green baby if it's a girl. 

I don't love any of the nicknames for Elizabeth, which is why I haven't considered it for a first name, but of them all, I like Eliza and Libby the best.  I think the most common that people will default to are Liz and Beth.

Your DD will not be confused by the nicknames.  We called DD #1 Cookie for a long time interchangeably with her name (Madeleine) and she wasn't confused.  We've called Gwendolyn (DD #2) Gwen, Gwennie, Gwendolyn, and Monkey pretty much interchangeably and she hasn't been confused. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"