July 2015 Moms
Options

Scary subject to put out there for everyone's opinion, but what r ur views on methadone n pregnancy

edited April 2015 in July 2015 Moms
Just want to know if their are other moms out there dealing with being on methadone and pregnant. And whether there doctors allowed them to get off the program while pregnant. I'm sure I'll get a lot of negative feedback on this so please try to be kind when posting.

Re: Scary subject to put out there for everyone's opinion, but what r ur views on methadone n pregnancy

• Options
    It's better than the alternative drug use. From what I've read, baby may experience some withdrawal after birth, but it isnt recommended to taper off during pregnancy because withdrawal during pregnancy could lead to miscarriage. Gotta weigh the risks and benefits.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take subutex been off pain pills/ heroin for almost 3 years. I would ask the doctor about switching from methadone to subutex. I have heard Methadone is tougher on the baby. At beginning of pregnancy I was taking approximately 4mg now im down to about 1mg definitely feel (mild) withdrawls sometimes the key is to taper very slowly. I would love to be completely drug free by the time she is born but im to scared w/d would hurt her more than help at this point. I know its tough but you can do it! You've made it this far :) goodluck
  • Options
    Well I have officially been street drug free for 4 years, and used the methadone program to slowly transition back to regular clean lifestyle, I found out I was pregnant when I was down to 13mls of methadone. And instantly seeked council from 2 different doctors on what to do because of the methadone. And both strongly urged me to not get off the program as I could miscarry or cause preterm labour. I've been so scared of the side effects and not wanting to go against my doctors opinion that now here I am at 25 weeks and still on methadone. I am still at a very low dose, we did have to up it a small amount as I started having withdrawl symptoms around 20 weeks and my doctor said that she said withdrawl would put the baby through too much stress. I'm so scared that something bad is going to happen before or during labour. I have been warned that the baby will probably have to stay in the hospital between 3-7 days. Which I'm also worried about. What about breastfeeding? How is that going to work while baby is in hospital? I've heard I can still breastfeed as very minimal amount of methadone is transferred through to breast milk especially since I am on a low dose but I am just so very worried about this all. I just don't want to hurt my baby and never thought in a million years I would be on methadone and having a baby. I am so scared. :'(
  • Options
    Sending positive thoughts your way. You are brave and strong.
  • Options
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way.
    This website had a lot of helpful information about methadone use and pregnancy. I hope it helps to put your mind at ease. https://www.methadoneandpregnancy.com/
  • Options

I echo this 100%. Sending my thoughts and prayers to you and your little one, and I want you to know that I think the way you view this and are handling it is incredibly admirable. Kudos to you.
  • Options
    I don't know much about this but I think its amazing that you are fighting and doing so with both yourself and your baby in mind. I hope you and your doctor find what works for you and that the risk/benefit is what it needs to be for _you_. Be proud mama!!!!
  • Options

I echo this 100%. Sending my thoughts and prayers to you and your little one, and I want you to know that I think the way you view this and are handling it is incredibly admirable. Kudos to you.
    I third this and to the other mama who posted her struggles. Many props to you both for being wonderful moms. Your doctors are there to help and you are both admirable in your concern for your little ones. Stay strong and your babies will be here soon! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I absolutely second everything that has been said on this thread. You are very strong for taking on your recovery, and you should be proud that you've been street drug free for so long!! Yes, there are some risk associated with taking methadone while pregnant and I'm sure it is a scary situation, but it sounds like you and your doctor have discussed the risks, and that he is well aware of your situation. Trust your doctor - the withdrawal can be harder on the baby than actually taking the medicine. As far as the breastfeeding goes, I would discuss with your doctor or contact a lactation consultant in your area for more advice.

Keep it up, mama. Stay strong!
  • Options
    Proud of you mama. I was sober for 8 years and have been drug free for almost 10.

Withdrawal would most likely be worse than methadone, and as long as the doctors know what is going on they will be prepared to take care of you and baby and have a plan in place!

Keep up the good work.
  • Options

I third this and to the other mama who posted her struggles. Many props to you both for being wonderful moms. Your doctors are there to help and you are both admirable in your concern for your little ones. Stay strong and your babies will be here soon! ;)
    You are strong and a wonderful mother already. Your concerns are valid. I worked antenatal as an RN for a short time and know second hand your struggles. Keep up with it! The doctors know the research. Trust them. If something seems off, get a second opinion. It's your right as a patient. Your baby will experience mild withdrawal after birth and will need monitored. The NICU should encourage pumping and will most likely let you feed there if baby is doing well.

Continue your program and look forward to your blessed life with your little one!!
  • Options
    I have nothing to add except good for you for getting as clean as you can be right now!! Keep up the awesome job
  • Options
    megajramegajra member
    edited April 2015
    Really admirable that u guys fights with your addition good for u and your kids great job be strong and keep up great work u should be proud of yourselfs not many out there has strength to fight and keep winning with addition !!! That's just great .
  • Options
    I am currently on 110mg of methadone daily and am also 28 weeks pregnant. I found out I was pregnant 6 months into being on the methadone program and was urged not to stop taking it because of the effects it could have on the baby. I am also terrified of what I could have caused my baby boy (since online doesn't give much info on methadone and pregnancy). But my OB and my Methadone Dr both told me that women have been having babies on methadone for over 20 years and no long term problems have ever been reported (only the risk of NAS when they are born.) If I would have known I was going to get pregnant I would have stopped the methadone, but it is so much better than being on the street, using illegal drugs. This is much better for you and your baby. I know it's scary. I'm going through the exact same thing. God will take care of everything! Just keep yourself healthy and do what your OB suggests.
    *Also one thing my clinic always tells us is: If you are in withdrawals, so is your baby. If you feel your dose isn't sufficient, then you need to find the right dose for you. The amount is just a number, and the number will not affect whether your baby has NAS or not.* Good luck and congratulations!!!
  • Options
    I am a postpartum nurse who has worked with a number of moms who have been on methadone.

Being on methadone in pregnancy is way better than trying to quit cold turkey or going back to street drugs. Your doctors will be very careful about your dosing, but it is important that you don't experience withdrawals, as that can affect the baby.

As for birth and after, pain management can be harder for the moms who are on menthadone, but the doctors will work with you to find a pain management plan that works for you. The baby should be able to breastfeed if the doctor has cleared you for that (usually means you are in a program and have clean u-tox).

At my hospital, the baby will stay with mom as long as she is a patient if the baby is not showing signs of withdrawal. The nurses monitor the baby for signs of withdrawal, and if the baby shows enough signs, then morphine will be started to help the baby. Eventually they will taper off the morphine until the baby doesn't need it anymore. Usually they will want to monitor the baby for up to 96 hours for signs of withdrawal, so if mom is discharged before baby is, mom can still visit the baby. Also, even if baby does have to go to the NICU for morphine, mom can go breastfeed.

I hope that answers some questions. Feel free to ask me anything else!
  • Options
    I have personally never struggled with addiction, but I have seen it first hand. But I just wanted to say how admirable it is to hear you ladies talk about your sobriety. I hope the best for you and your babies! Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Thank you to you all for the kind words and encouragement and information, this has been a difficult time stressing about this all and have been reading stories about many women giving birth the perfectly healthy babies with moms being on methadone. I still have the worry of NAS and really hope the baby doesn't have to stay longer in the hospital then me as I think I would have a very very hard time just visiting my baby girl. But I'm staying optimistic and praying, hoping that me and baby girl will be just fine after birth! :) thank you again for all who took the time to answer my post in an honest kind way! I really appreciate it all!! Xo and good luck to everyone else either going through the same thing as me or otherwise! Yay for July mommies!!
  • Options
    I don't have personal experience but I have witnessed my sister having two children while addicted to opiates and benzos. My understanding is subutex is and option as is methadone. Suboxone is not. Withdraw or cold turkey can cause fetal distress and miscarriage. The opiate itself is not harmful to the development of the baby but NAS does occur and it is hard to watch a baby go through it but the docs do a good job of managing the symptoms. The combination of opiate and benzodiazepines can lead to issues such as nystagmus so make certain to stay away from Xanax, klonopin etc.
  • Options
    Another thought....After a delivery, if you can detox, vivitrol is an option that seems to helping a lot of people. It is a naloxanoe shot once a month. It is rather expensive, but so is methodone and Suboxone. If you qualify I think it is coverered under Obama care. My little sis is doing well on it after having been unsuccessful long term on both methodone and Suboxone programs.