Potty Training

What ARE the signs they are ready to PT?

Everyone keeps saying maybe LO isn't ready - and I'm fully willing to accept that if that is the case.

So what are the signs that they aren't ready?

LO wakes up from naps and bedtime dry.

He won't tell us when he's gone in his diaper and he doesn't care to be changed.

When we tell him he has to try going on the potty, etc., he literally says "I don't want to poop on the potty.  I want to poop in my diaper".

I feel like he's cognitively ready since he can tell us he doesn't want to.  I also don't want to push him but he'll be 3 in December and we have a new baby due in January, so it would be nice to only have one set of diapers to change :)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What ARE the signs they are ready to PT?

• imageKingston54:

Everyone keeps saying maybe LO isn't ready - and I'm fully willing to accept that if that is the case.

So what are the signs that they aren't ready?

LO wakes up from naps and bedtime dry.

He won't tell us when he's gone in his diaper and he doesn't care to be changed.

When we tell him he has to try going on the potty, etc., he literally says "I don't want to poop on the potty.  I want to poop in my diaper".

I feel like he's cognitively ready since he can tell us he doesn't want to.  I also don't want to push him but he'll be 3 in December and we have a new baby due in January, so it would be nice to only have one set of diapers to change :)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I'd say those things mean he's not ready. If he doesn't care if he's wet or dirty, then he's likely not going to care if he goes in his underwear. You can't really force a child to sit on the potty, and even if you can hold them down, you can't force them to actually go. I can sit DD2 on the potty, but if she doesn't feel like going, she'll just hold it and hold it until she wants to go.

I started potty training both girls when they started telling me they had to go, and their diaper was still dry.

Kids really have to be interested in using the potty or it won't work.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I kind of think that since he's aware of pooping in his diaper and able to talk about it that he IS ready.  My son also says he doesn't "want" to go in the potty but if I put him on he will go, then I make a huge deal about it and call him a big boy, etc.  I also read him lots of potty books and got the Elmo DVD called "Elmo's Potty Time".  He loves Elmo.  My ped told me that as soon as he goes on the potty one time to put him right in underwear.  Diapers nowadays make it way too comfortable for them because they're so absorbent.  I just posted about my son's daycare's  approach and will keep you posted if it works.  He starts wearing underwear today!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• Loading the player...
  • DD is in the exact same place as your DS, and I tend to agree with Angela814.  We have tried and tried to get her more interested but she just...isn't.  I'm taking a total PT break right now and even put the potty seats away -- she doesn't even care.  She is just not ready, as much as I would like her to be.

She told me not too long ago that she will use the potty when she is 41.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i use babycenter and other websites to get hints on all kinds of things. When it came to getting ready for potty training i looked up info. They have a checklist .

https://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-readiness-checklist_4384.bc

On it are items under Physical, Behavioral, and Cognitive Signs. At first my son wasn't doing many of them, so i always talked up about using the potty, without pushing him to use it. If he had to go with me into a store restroom , i would talk about how i was a big girl using the potty. And if Daddy was in the potty i would talk about how daddy was a big boy. THat way it gave him some kind of goal. Then when he was doing most of the things on the list, at least the ones that i thought were important on there, i started him on the potty in underwear. He gets stickers on a chart as a reward. This week has been our main starter week and he has only had one accident, at the begining. And since has done great. Even on car rides.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I would say he's absolutely ready. The fact that he can tell you he doesn't want to and would rather go in a diaper means he's totally aware. DS was the same way. He had zero "signs" of readiness. The first time I knew he had to poop I just kind of held him on the oottuwhile he whined/cried about it. He's not mentally scarred or anything. He just needed to be shown that he could do it.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• have you heard the saying if you start before they're ready it takes longer than if you wait for them to be ready? I didn't believe it until it was totally right. I know have 1 in diapers would be ideal, but it's not too bad with 2. my oldest turned 3 in june, and be mid september was ready. I had a talk with him... I told him that he was growing into a big boy and his diapers were getting to small, and asked if I got him super hero underwear and a superhero potty seat that goes on the big potty, if he will use it. I got him really excited about it,and within a week he didn't even wear pullups to bed. also, now he'd trying to potty train his brother, and tries to make him wear the superhero underwear too... you just have to be patient, and they will let you know. oh yeah and mms 1 for pee and 2 for poop! : good luck!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"