March 2012 Moms
Options

What to buy a 1 year old

I have a 1 year old's birthday coming up, and even though I have my own child I have no idea what to get as a gift.  It has been a long time since I have been to a child's birthday.  In fact I think the last time I went to one I was pretty much a child myself.  

Would you buy a toy, clothes, books?  I worry about getting a toy because I worry that they probably already have it or someone else will get the same thing.  Clothes don't seem that interesting for the birthday boy - will a 1 year old care either way?  What would you like your DD/DS to receive for their first birthday? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What to buy a 1 year old

• Options
    I would want clothes and things he needed. I think at 1 year the kids are probably more into all the people, gift wrap, ect. than what the presents really are.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    1st birthday- I normally give a couple of outfits and then pop beads. I figure the clothes are helpful to mom and the baby enjoys the pop beads. And have a ton of pop beads isn't a big deal.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, if I'm close to the person I just ask what the child needs! That way I know I'm getting something they can use.

If I'm not close to them I just get an outfit and a toy.
  • Options
    I would get clothes and a toy.  Parents & Birthday Kid will be happy.  Include a gift receipt so they can return the toy if they all ready have it.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Options
    DD1 loved Little People blocks from 14 yrs old. Most kids have more of everything than they need. If youre not terribly close to the parents that's a safe bet. If you are you might ask if they have a college fund you could contribute to every bit counts. Even by 1 yr, DD1 had more of everything than she could ever use!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm going to one in a few weeks and I bought a personalized book (one of those that has the child's name as part of the story), some PJ's (I figure a baby can never have too many PJ's), and some other odds and ends (headbands, leg warmers)...it's for a girl.  

I stayed away from toys because I feel like I never know what kind of toys the parents like for the child and kids seem to already have so many...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I will probably just go with clothes and a toy.  I also like the personalized book idea.  I had one as a kid and loved it.
  • Options

If you're gonna go the personalized book route....Groupon has a deal on I See Me books right now.

I just bought a voucher so I can get this for LO for her first birthday.  They have a really cute birthday themed book, I also really like the "Who Loves Me?" book.  I'm not sure if you'll have enough time to order, but they are really cute gifts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll take a look.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"