Postpartum Depression

Could my chronic depression of turned into PPD?

I was diagnosed with chronic depression 3 years ago after a few suicidal thoughts and plans of it. I was put on lexapro and then changed to Pristiq because of nausea. When I got pregnant I stopped taking the medicine but realized that I wasn't feeling depressed or sad often at all. 

There have been a few moments of hysterical crying (which I thought was just baby blues) but along with that there are all those bad thoughts I remember having 9 months ago. no suicidal thoughts or actions, but I just feel like I'm starting to hate myself again...  I feel like my daughter would be better off without me and I am just a horrible person.

My c-section went fine and I was great (minus the pain) until about a week ago..  when I was just suddenly started completely doubting my ability , I figured it was just baby blues but I constantly feel like I'm not fit..

Could it be possible that my chronic depression has mixed with my hormones and become ppd?

Re: Could my chronic depression of turned into PPD?

• It could be possible, but at two weeks it just sounds like baby blues mixed with your previous depression.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Mom to 4, pregnant with 2
  • It could be baby blues but given your past with depression I would just contact your doctor. I've had depression in the past and then got PPD. Even though I knew the feelings I had were depression I kept denying it and thinking things would get better. It didn't and I ended up hitting a brick wall which was not fun. I'm finally feeling better and I wish I would have done something sooner. maybe a lower dose of an AD would help or they could give you a RX and if you are still feeling this way in a couple weeks you have the meds there for you. Hope you feel better soon!

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • I am in the same boat Shelby. I have suffered from depression since I was 12 and I'm 28 now. I knew that I was at risk of PPD and tried everything including taking meds all through my pregnancy to help deal with my depression. I was ok for about a week pp and then BAM it hit me. It is more than just the baby blues for sure and I'm starting to play around with my meds (with Dr. approval).

I just keep praying that I wake up and feel better. All i can say is thank goodness for my family helping me out. The most valuable thing to me at this point is sleep so them taking her for an hour or so so I can sleep is amazing! Hang in there and know that you are NOT alone!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"