Infertility Veterans
Options

article: frequent m/c = superfertility

I'm not sure what to make of this...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2192984/Women-suffer-recurrent-miscarriages-actually-super-fertile-experts-claimed.html 

Among the most shocking seemed to be that only 30% of "natural" pregnancies result in a baby.  

It sure would be nice if they could get this connective process figured out. We can send people to the moon, but we can't figure out how our own bodies function. I still don't think it eases the pain for women who have to suffer through continually losing a child. 

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010

Re: article: frequent m/c = superfertility

• Options
    This is interesting, as I've never really thought of "fertility" to be defined primarily as the receptivity of endometrium to allow implantation, but rather the viability of one's embryos (which obviously depends partially and ultimately on the former, unless you are using a GC).  I also hope we make progress on figuring out how all this works, and sooner rather than later...
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Interesting - I wonder if this is referring more to chemical pregnancies because the article kept saying 'long enough to get a positive pregnancy test' - but what about being visible on u/s, heartbeat, etc. I felt like I wanted more info on what point these embryos would typically stop developing.

It is interesting because in my 5 transfers I've gotten pregnant 4 times, but always lost my babies. None of them were chemical though - one of them was a normal baby; one was ectopic; one was T21 for one of the embryos (not sure on the twin); one was not tested. So not sure where that leaves me!

I agree, we need more research on this. I think it's an issue again that because it affects women (not men) directly, it's been ignored for years. 

Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
    Early loss 10/08
    Lap 1/09
    IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
    Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
    Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
    IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
    IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
    IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
    One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
    DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
    DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
    10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
    DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
    2 frosties but don't know what's next
    FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've read a bunch of stuff that says between 20-25% actually make it to term once the sperm fertilizes the egg.  So 30% is more encouraging I guess?  3/5 of my embryos transferred have given me BFPs... all ending in m/c of course (my RE is guessing that I have an embryo issue right now)

TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Options
    Interesting way of looking at math, on their part. But I see what angle they are coming from.

I actually wouldn't say that I'm infertile, just AMA and half of an infertile couple. Both time I've transferred a 5day blast, I've gotten pregnant even a poor quality blast, resulting in a mc. No luck w 3dt, but I suspect the embies arrested in my ute before reaching blast.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagekthappy76:
    This is interesting, as I've never really thought of "fertility" to benbsp;definednbsp;primarily asnbsp;the receptivity ofnbsp;endometrium to allow implantation, but rather the viability ofnbsp;one's embryosnbsp;which obviously depends partially andnbsp;ultimately on the former, unless you are using a GC.nbsp; I also hope we make progress on figuring out how all this works, and sooner rather than later...
    also consider that the viability of ur embryos, depend on your partner too...which would actually have no impact on ur personal fertility. Some interesting perspectives here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"