2nd Trimester
Options

Are you planning on getting an epidural?

Just wondering yes/no and what your reasons are.

I'm undecided.  I had one with LO and it was great because it completely took away the pain and made labor much easier.

However, I had a bit of a reaction to it - what I can only determine was the aura of a migrane (no actual migrane/head pain) - my left side went numb from my mouth to the tips of my fingers and my vision went wavy.  The whole thing only lasted a few minutes but it was scary and I worry about it happening again.

I'm considering going natural but equally scared of that :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Are you planning on getting an epidural?

• Options
    I'd love to not have one... because that would mean I have super powers Smile haha. Seriously though, DD was induced on a Monday night and I didn't have her until Tuesday late night, after 2.5 hours of pushing because my epidural meds were increased at the wrong time. My doctor almost made me have a c-section, but I wasn't going to push that long and not get her out on my own. DS was a c-section because they were afraid of his size (big mistake, he was big, but not that big!). I just want to have the most perfect natural story book birth this time around, but we'll see what's in the cards.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't plan to.  Granted, I didnt plan to last time but was transferred to the hospital from the birthing center and didn't have a choice.  I'm going to try again. It helps knowing I made it through transition (which most people say is the hardest part) and over 5 hours of pushing without it.  I could have done it. My son was big, posterior and just failed to descend:(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I will have an epidural again.  With my DD she nearly killed the both of us due to full placental abruption at 8cm dilated.  I was a crash c section under general anesthesia.  Something I NEVER want to live through again.  I'm planning on a VBAC but will have the epidural set up and good to go just in case there are any signs of a repeat.

Also keep in mind that it may have not been the epidural that caused the migraine, but all the pressure and swollen blood vessels from being in labor.  Not all migraines come with pain, just symptoms.  My first one at 10 years old caused partial blindness in my right eye for well over 5 hours.  Scariest thing to happen to me at that age. The epidural shouldn't effect anything above where it's inserted.....unless it's done incorrectly. Talk to the anesthesiologist about what occurred last time, your fears and concerns.  They should be able to give you honest medical facts and percentages of it happening again.

• Options
    i will hold out as long as I can.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are planning a home birth. If for some reason I am transferred to the hospital it will probably be for the need of medical intervention, so I'd expect one then. We'll see!
  • Options
    I am keeping my options open but I think it is more likely that I will get one.  Without it I really worry about my ability to relax and handle a natural birth.  Honestly, if I can have less pain with minimal risk of side effects, I will most likely choose that option.  If things are progressing quickly, there is a higher chance I will try for a natural birth.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    Oh yes, "give me the juice".
  • Options

Yes.  I had one with DS and with how bad the pain was 8 hours before he was born (when I got the epi), I couldn't even imagine what it would have been like for those 8 hours without it.  If by some miracle I felt I didn't need it, I of course wouldn't ask for it, I just can't imagine it being much different than with DS.

I have loads of respect for anyone who gives birth without an epidural, and anyone who tries to, even if they end up getting it.  I wish that I felt I was strong enough to do it.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    I felt forced into my Epi last time, and I had a very scary reaction to it. So I intend to do whatever I can to avoid one this time around. Last time my blood pressure crashed so quickly from the stick of the needle itself (before any medication is administered) that I almost passed out on the nurse I was leaning on. I also had pain in my pack at the insertion site for months after the delivery. I know my reactions were rare, but I am worried that it may just be how my body reacts to it so I'd rather not go through it again if I can avoid it.
  • Options
    imageAngelzkisses:

I will have an epidural again.  With my DD she nearly killed the both of us due to full placental abruption at 8cm dilated.  I was a crash c section under general anesthesia.  Something I NEVER want to live through again.  I'm planning on a VBAC but will have the epidural set up and good to go just in case there are any signs of a repeat.

Also keep in mind that it may have not been the epidural that caused the migraine, but all the pressure and swollen blood vessels from being in labor.  Not all migraines come with pain, just symptoms.  My first one at 10 years old caused partial blindness in my right eye for well over 5 hours.  Scariest thing to happen to me at that age. The epidural shouldn't effect anything above where it's inserted.....unless it's done incorrectly. Talk to the anesthesiologist about what occurred last time, your fears and concerns.  They should be able to give you honest medical facts and percentages of it happening again.

THank you, this response really helped me.  You make some great points.  Unfortunately after my doctor gave me a full neuro exam in the hospital (it happened the next day), he just cleared me and said I was fine, not to worry and didn't really give me much of an explanation.

Then I took my baby home the next day and didn't talk to anyone about it even though I thought about it all the time!  I really should have talked to the doctor/anesthesiologist to ease my fears but never did.

I gathered it might have been aura of migrane just from my own research.  I am definitely going to take your advice and maybe that will make my decision easier once I get some answers.

• Options
    Yes. At my appt earlier ths week, my obgyn recommended it. He said "there is no reason you need to suffer. It will help you relax and lessen the likelihood of tearing." Sold!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I'm going natural, I'm also going to do a water birth though. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagebunnymay:
    Yes. At my appt earlier ths week, my obgyn recommended it. He said "there is no reason you need to suffer. It will help you relax and lessen the likelihood of tearing." Sold!

That's interesting. I've heard the exact opposite about epidurals - that they actually increase your likelihood of tearing.  Argh, so much conflicting info out there.

I'll try and go without again. My first was a home birth so it wasn't an option. 

Might go to the hospital this time but I'll be aiming for no meds. 

• Options

I need to find out if I'll be allergic to it, (it's totally possible,) but if I find out I'm good to go, then I'm going to get to the hospital and ask for one, and tell them whatever they need to hear to get one.

That's what my sister told me to say. I'll probably actually wait until the pain makes me crazy-lady. It probably won't take much pain; I'm kinda going crazy now and it's only because I'm hungry and tired.

Yeah. I'm gonna go to bed. 

• Options

Yes,  I am going to have an Epidural and the reason for my decision is because I have a small pelvis. but I am going to hold off as long as I can before I get one.

Married: June 9, 2011 
    TTC Baby #1: January 2012
    Baby #1: BFP: February 16, 2012, EDD: October 24, 2012, July 2, 2012, we found out we are expecting a GIRL :)!
    11-2-2012 @ 12:55am, 41 weeks and 1 day, Kendall Rose was born, weighting 7lb. and 12oz.
    TTC Baby #2: June 2013
    Baby #2: BFP: August 16, 2013, EDD: April 18, 2014, Gender Predictor said: Girl  "Christian AprilMC: August 24, 2013 @ 5 weeks and 1 day
    TTC Baby #3: October 2013
    Baby #3: BFP: December 31, 2013   EDD: September 8, 2014, Gender Predictor said: Girl "Sweet Pea September" stopped growing January 12 @ 6 weeks  (Missed Miscarriage), D and C: January 28, 2014 @ 8 weeks 2 days
    Baby #4: BFP: June 13, 2014 EDD: February 25, 2015, October 10, 2014, we found out we are expecting a BOY :)!
    "Love Bears all things, hopes all things, and endures all things"
    2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

These are the reasons I do not want one.

- walking makes you progress faster and you can't with an epi

- I want to use a tub or shower when things get hard (I felt pressure with transition with my last epi) and you can't get in the shower or tub with an epi.

- I want to push in the squatting position if possible to reduce risk of tearing and you can't with an epi.

- the feelng of them tapping on my back and feeling on my spine to incert the needle while i was numbed was the grossest feeling i have ever had and i cringe even thinking about it again.

- i had no support system except my nurse while i got it last time because they wouldn't let DH in the room.

- between the point when i was last checked (decided i wanted the epi, waited for anesthesiologists, had it administered, waited for it to take effect) and checked again I had gone from 5-6 to complete (less than 30 minutes). My epi was so strong I had to have them turn it completely off and let it wear off so I could push. That process took 2 hours. My body and my son were ready and I couldn't push him out because I had altered my sensory nerves and couldn't push.

This was my experience and every experience is different but I went in with a plan and because I didn't trust my body to do what it was made to do I had to live with the consequences. Yes my son was healthy. At the end of the day that is all that matters. But this time I know what my body is telling me and I have the support I need to hold on and let it do its thing.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    nealblnealbl member

I think for someone who is undecided that it is best to just go into labor undecided. See if you can tolerate the pain and if not get the epidural. 

I knew from the get go that I would be getting an epidural. I mean I am not a drug taker. I maybe once a year take a ibuprofen and I try natural way to soothe sickness anytime I can. However I cried through my leg cramps at night. I have no pain tolerance whatsoever. The thought of being in that much pain scared me. I had a great experience with epidural. Right after I got it I felt sick and little off. That went away after 10 min or so and then I was on cloud 9 

• Options
    imagebandwife:

imagebunnymay:

That's interesting. I've heard the exact opposite about epidurals - that they actually increase your likelihood of tearing.  Argh, so much conflicting info out there.

I'll try and go without again. My first was a home birth so it wasn't an option. 

Ive also heard just the opposite.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I'm not planning on getting one.  I don't think there is anything wrong with epidurals, but I've been doing a lot of research on natural birth, and a lot of women report a strong feeling of empowerment  after having completed labor without meds/interventions.  There are other advantages, but they're mostly for the mom, baby probably won't care ;)

For those of you considering not getting one, I just want to pass along a piece of advice I've received from friends who have successfully had natural births - do the research, take a class or read books on ways to deal with the pain.  They've told me that it's not as difficult as some may make it out to be, but if you don't have any kind of coping strategies or know what to expect, chances are you won't be able to make it through.  Others may have had different experiences, this is just what I've been told.

I think the most important thing is that you really have a good conversation with your doctor and whoever will be there for the birth so you are all comfortable with what happens.  Good luck!

• Options

With my first DD I was induced and the contractions came on so fast and so strong because of the Pitocin that I was begging for the epidural after an hour of intense awful contractions an knowing I couldn't do that all day.  I don't regret my decision because I was able to nap and relax after that.  Even my Dr. said that people who are induced have it harder and she was glad I got the epidural so I had some energy to push when the time came.

With this pregnancy (DD #2) I am open to the idea of an epidural again because  I had such a good experience with it but at the same time going natural would be great too.  If I go into labor on my own I am going to try and go as long as I can without anything but if I'm induced again and the contractions come on full speed and I'm throwing up and miserable again right away I may go straight for it.  

My advice is to keep an open mind and go with whatever is right at the time.  Smile

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I have always known I would get one from the get go.  After the pain I endured during a gyno emergency, I was told it was similar to they paid I would feel during labor.  There is no way I want to go through that again.  I want to be able to enjoy the birth and rather than die of pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Options

I had such a Horrible reaction with my dd I dont know what Im Going to do... I have option for repeat c section but again I'm not sure, 

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebandwife:

imagebunnymay:

Sorry, they do not increase tearing, that happens, which really doesn't that often anymore, if the baby is to big they will make a incision down here. I had a epidural and i am small, my baby was only 6lbs but they still had to cut me down to make room for her, had they NOT then yes I would have torn, which is why they cut so you dont just tear, which would be more painful. And since you are on the epidural, you would not even feel then cutting, my dh saw them do it and they explained why. 

• Options
    imageverybusymomto4:
    imagebandwife:

imagebunnymay:

Sorry, they do not increase tearing, that happens, which really doesn't that often anymore, if the baby is to big they will make a incision down here. I had a epidural and i am small, my baby was only 6lbs but they still had to cut me down to make room for her, had they NOT then yes I would have torn, which is why they cut so you dont just tear, which would be more painful. And since you are on the epidural, you would not even feel then cutting, my dh saw them do it and they explained why. 

here is an article that answers this question. https://m.anesthesiologynews.com/Article.aspx?d=Clinical+Anesthesiology&d_id=1&i=August+2011&i_id=750&a_id=18711

• Options

imageni077169:
    Oh yes, "give me the juice".

This but not right away, I'm hoping to get to the point where I have to get it now or it's too late. But I'm also a wimp, so let's see how long I can last!!

• Options
    KadyraKadyra member

An episiotomy and a perineal laceration hurt the same. The same nerves, etc. are affected. One is just easier for the provider to repair as the lines are cleaner and easier to match up. With an epis, you have a higher likelihood of extending to a 3rd or 4th degree tear, which is why they aren't done routinely anymore. I can count the number I have done on both hands. 

Man epidural won't increase or decrease the liklihood of tearing. Most FTM's tear. Their tissues are not as pliant. And if you start pushing before baby has the opportunity to descend and stretch the tissues, you're more likely to tear. I only do an epis for shoulder dystocia or operative vaginal delivery. Or if baby is in distress and the vaginal opening is still the size of a silver dollar and kiddo needs to get out NOW. 

As pp said, you can't do a lot of things with an epidural, but those are more "natural" type coping methods and delivery techniques anyway.

I had an epidural with DS. I will have one again. To me, if the epidural is there, there's no point in suffering. What does it prove? Your pain tolerance? That YOU could do it? Seems selfish to me. But to each their own.  

Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I went into my labor with DS with the plan of asking for the epi if I needed it, which I did.  I didn't have any complications.  This time will be a RCS.

If I were in your situation, I would ask my OB and see what he thought about it, and if it was something that could cause damage.  If he wasn't concerned, then I wouldn't be either.  If I was really afraid of it happening again, then I would try to avoid it as long as possible, but if I needed it then I would still ask for it, and know that it might happen again and should go away within a few minutes.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options
    imageakating:
    imageverybusymomto4:
    imagebandwife:

imagebunnymay:

here is an article that answers this question. https://m.anesthesiologynews.com/Article.aspx?d=Clinical+Anesthesiology&d_id=1&i=August+2011&i_id=750&a_id=18711

Have to sign in to read that? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Not planning on it but I am not completely against it if I feel I absolutely need it. I had a med-free birth with DD using Hypnobabies and plan on using it again for another med-free if things go as planned.

I would prefer not to get the epidural because in some cases it doesn't work at all, in some cases it can lead to future health problems (headaches, long term pain) and I believe interventions (like the epi) can often lead to more interventions (like C-Section) and I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Also, going med-free with DD was extremely empowering. I had the mind set I was going to do it and did and it felt great afterwards. Things that made me anxious or scared me before having her no longer did anymore because I could tell myself if I can give birth med-free I can do -anything-. Sounds corny but true!

Lilly & Ryan 7/4/09 --- Lelia Noelle 11/29/10 --- Aerilyn Grace 11/3/12
    imageimageimageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I absolutely want one.  In fact I've already talked (jokingly) to my anaesthesologist friends and and a couple of them have promised that even if they aren't on call they will come do it so that I don't have to wait even 10 minutes.

Having performed many deliveries, I'm well aware of the risks, but also well aware of the benefits.

PgAL (MC@7w 29/10/11 - lost you before we knew we had you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i'm planning on starting off without one and trying a water birth, but if its too much then i will have it. i'm high risk cus i had gastric bypass not quite a year ago so they are afraid the baby is going to be big if so i will have a csection.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No. DS was born after 6 hours of labor, I didn't want one then, and I was able to deliver him no proble. DD was born after 3.5 hours of labor; I didn't want one with her, but even if I had, by the time we got to the hospital (around 2:30am) my contractions were never ending and she was born just before 4am. (I preferred the 6 hour labor, believe it or not). I am hoping my labor is a bit longer with this little girl, but I've done it twice and was okay so I know I can do it again. (My mom didn't have one for her children, and said I -like her - have a hiiigh tolerance for pain. *shrug* There is an end to the pain, and I believe there have been studies done that say the brain does not remember pain... you may remember it was painful, but you can't "relive" the physical pain experience.
  • Options
    I almost missed my chance last time even though I requested it as soon as I arrived. My pain wasn't too bad, so the nurses kept putting off calling for it. They finally called the anesthesiologist when I was at 5cm; by the time he arrived (10 minutes later) I had gone through transition and was almost 10cm. He said to me "Are you sure? You're really almost done here! It might not even take effect in time." I got him to do it anyway, even though the pain wasn't intolerable. It definitely helped relax me, even if it was all psychosomatic. I only pushed for 41 minutes, and I walked to the bathroom an hour after delivery. So yeah, I'll do it again. Probably earlier, too- depending on how things are going.
    I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member
    imageKadyra:

An episiotomy and a perineal laceration hurt the same. The same nerves, etc. are affected. One is just easier for the provider to repair as the lines are cleaner and easier to match up. With an epis, you have a higher likelihood of extending to a 3rd or 4th degree tear, which is why they aren't done routinely anymore. I can count the number I have done on both hands. 

Man epidural won't increase or decrease the liklihood of tearing. Most FTM's tear. Their tissues are not as pliant. And if you start pushing before baby has the opportunity to descend and stretch the tissues, you're more likely to tear. I only do an epis for shoulder dystocia or operative vaginal delivery. Or if baby is in distress and the vaginal opening is still the size of a silver dollar and kiddo needs to get out NOW. 

Great explanation.

I'm planning on an epidural. I'll labor at home as long as possible, but once I'm in active labor, I think I'll enjoy the process more without the severe pain and likely anxiety about pushing and tearing.

I think every woman should do what makes the experience most rewarding for her. 

• Options

Nada. I'm giving birth at a birth center, so I'm going au naturale :-)

Side note: My first delivery was in a hospital, I was "talked into" an epidural (long story, but factors into my desire NOT to deliver in a hospital again) and the damn thing didn't take anyway so I felt everything. I'm hiring a doula this time to help me cope with the pain.

• Options
    epidural because i'm afraid of the pain.  i know i will be more sensitive to the pain because of slight anemia.  my family doctor suggested me to have this when i was planning to have c-section so that i could have anesthesia.
  • Options
    YES! Here's why: I have a V-shaped scar on my right cheek that I got by scratching myself while I was being delivered. I was ready to come out before my mother was ready, so by the time the epi kicked in it was too late and out I came - with very sharp fingernails scraping the walls the entire way. My mother said she had never felt any pain in her entire life that even came close to my birth, and everytime she switched gynos afterward she would have to tell him before her pap about the scars he was gonna find. I'm not messing around, i'm getting that damn shot as soon as I can...juuust in case Regan has a pair of talons like I did :P
  • Options

Heck yeah! I had one with DS and will again. The only thing I maybe would have changed is that, since I was 5 cm when I was admitted, I got the epidural right away. And then I was basically stuck in bed the rest of the time (6:30am-1pm when I started pushing, and he was born at 2:25pm). If I could go back I maybe would have walked around a bit even though I was uncomfortable.

I guess the big pro about epidurals is that you are able to relax while you are in labor. For someone like me who pushed for an hour and a half, I'm so glad for this. I've heard so many times about people who go med-free (I totally admire these women) but then they end up being in hard labor for so so long and by the time they have to push they are so exhausted and end up having a c-section.

• Options
    I wanted to go natural for as long as possible. However, speaking with my ob and cardiologist I have been advised to get one so my heart will not be over worked. As much as I would love to stay on my hippie ways, I'm doing what I need to for my baby and me. 
  • Options

If you are undecided, it might be best to stay that way, just get to know your options. Let me explain: My birth with DD was ideal in every way. I labored at home for 19 hours, then went into the hospital. I was handling the pain wonderfully (for me) and after 19 hours I wanted a bit of a rest, so I opted for the epidural. I had already informed everyone with me that pitocin was an absolute NO. The epidural went in painlessly, zero feeling at all actually, and only worked on my right side. I had full feeling on my left. It promptly wore off 3.5 hours later during transition, just as a nurse attempted to sneak pitocin in. I asked what was in the bag, she said fluids, I said what fluids, she said "oh, just saline... and a little pitocin", so she was escorted out of my room. I pushed my DD out at 6:50am. She was 5lbs 7oz (very tiny) and I did tear because they didn't have time to do an episiotomy she came so fast. By the time i was stitched up, I was walking around and asking to go home. I was told I had to stay for at least 24hrs b/c my DD weight was low (she was and is perfectly healthy).

I learned from this that even with an ideal labor, small baby, and access to an epidural, you better be prepared for anything. Tearing happens sometimes, even with the best of intentions, the epidural may not work even if you get it, you have to be aware of what you are having put through your IV (if you have one) and a good support system in your room is a must.  Best of luck to all you mommies! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my 2nd labor and delivery are this uneventful! 

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"