Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC..new to site, recently off BCP

Hello! I am new to the site, but I have been reading a lot of the boards.  Nothing seems to fit me exactly, so I would really appreciate any advice.  My DH (Age 26) and I (Age 24) were married in February and I got off BCP in December, so we could start TTC right away. I was on BCP for about 9 years total; the last couple years I was on Nuvaring. My last period was Dec 30.  I didn't have a period for what seemed like forever (125 days), so my doctor put me on provera in April to "jump start" my periods.  I started once I got through with provera April 22nd.  Now it is May 31, and I have not got another period. I am on calendar day 40.  Also, I was doing OPKs everyday, and no sign of ovulation.  I am just feeling frustrated and scared that maybe my body will never regulate itself.  Has anyone else had these problems? What is the next step if provera does not regulate or "jump start" your periods? I am going to see my doctor next week for my annual papsmear. What should I ask her? I really want to push her to put me on provera and clomid. Anyone with any experience in that area? I would just love some advice or to hear about someone's situation that was similar to my own.  

Re: TTC..new to site, recently off BCP

• Options

First let me start by saying that 125 day cycle must be frustrating.

But Clomid is not candy to be passed out to whoever requests it.  Your doctor should do some testing first, there may be options other than clomid that can help you.  Clomid has some serious side effects (cysts, thin uterine lining, hyperovulation) and there is a max number of cycles you can take it.  You should be monitored closely while on clomid, which is why most women on the boards recommend seeing an RE before starting it. 

Also as for the OPKs, did you take them twice a day?  Some women have a short surge and miss it completely if they only test once a day.  Also OPKs do not detect Ovulation, only the surge of LH before ovulation.  It is however possible to have a LH surge and not ovulate.  If you want to confirm ovulation, consider temping your BBT.

Since you are going to the doctor for a pap anyway, I probably would mention the long cycles, but I might try to give it another cycle to see if my body would regulate off of BC.  I definitely would want some testing before I started any drugs.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    imageTwinkie0612:

But Clomid is not candy to be passed out to whoever requests it.  Your doctor should do some testing first, there may be options other than clomid that can help you.  Clomid has some serious side effects (cysts, thin uterine lining, hyperovulation) and there is a max number of cycles you can take it.  You should be monitored closely while on clomid, which is why most women on the boards recommend seeing an RE before starting it. 

Also as for the OPKs, did you take them twice a day?  Some women have a short surge and miss it completely if they only test once a day.  Also OPKs do not detect Ovulation, only the surge of LH before ovulation.  It is however possible to have a LH surge and not ovulate.  If you want to confirm ovulation, consider temping your BBT.

Since you are going to the doctor for a pap anyway, I probably would mention the long cycles, but I might try to give it another cycle to see if my body would regulate off of BC.  I definitely would want some testing before I started any drugs.

Perfectly stated.  

*BFP #1-10/20/2012 EDD 7/4/2013*
    *DS 6/28/2013*
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageTwinkie0612:

But Clomid is not candy to be passed out to whoever requests it Your doctor should do some testing first, there may be options other than clomid that can help you.  Clomid has some serious side effects (cysts, thin uterine lining, hyperovulation) and there is a max number of cycles you can take it.  You should be monitored closely while on clomid, which is why most women on the boards recommend seeing an RE before starting it. 

This is all great advice, especially the bolded. There is no reason to be pushing for Clomid at this point.  Long cycles can be insanely frustrating, but without having the proper testing done first, asking for drugs is really not a wise idea.  Hopefully your body will regulate quickly, and you will only have to deal with a couple of long cycles.  GL to you!

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I forgot to include that I had blood testing to make sure all my levels are okay and they were. Also, I don't want to take drugs like Clomid if I can do it naturally. I just read that most people who are put on provera have to take Clomid so that's why I was asking. Anything I should make sure to ask or tell the doctor? I just don't want this to go on for another year having 3 periods a year. Thanks again for the quick replies. :) 
  • Options

imagejessicaboysen:
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I forgot to include that I had blood testing to make sure all my levels are okay and they were. Also, I don't want to take drugs like Clomid if I can do it naturally. I just read that most people who are put on provera have to take Clomid so that's why I was asking. Anything I should make sure to ask or tell the doctor? I just don't want this to go on for another year having 3 periods a year. Thanks again for the quick replies. :) 

And those tests were done on the proper cycle day to ensure accurate results?  In addition to that, you need to have an HSG and u/s and YH needs a SA before you "push your doctor" to put you on fertility drugs.  I think I'd ask for one more round of Provera, just to see what happens and if you get a repeat then look into additional testing....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi & Welcome!

My first cycle off bcp was 120 and ended in Provera, so I know how frustrating those can be. My 2nd cycle was 78 days but ended on its own. I'm in my third cycle now. 

I am about 40 pounds overweight and the doctors think I have PCOS. There are a lot of factors that could contribute to your long cycles. Is your weight an issue? Also, you could still be adjusting to not being on birth control anymore still. 

Hang in there! 

Anniversary
    My Blog!
    TTC #1 since 11/1/2011
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    DX: Hypothyroidism (2004) & Possible PCOS (2/2012)
    CD3 b/w: Elevated LH:FSH ratio HSG: All clear! Y-shaped Uterus; SA: Normal
    Round 1 of Clomid (50mg) 8/28-9/1: BFP!
    BFP #1: 9/23/12 Edd: 6/4/2013. M/C 9/28/12 @ 4w4d
    Round 2 of Clomid (100mg) 10/3-10/7: BFP!
    BFP #2: 11/3/12 Edd: 7/16/2013. mmc discovered at 18w2d (our baby girl stopped developing at 15w3d due to Down's Syndrome). d&e 2/15/13
    3/28/13: "quite a few" uterine polyps and scar tissue discovered.
    Hysteroscopy (4/16/13): Polyps, Scar Tissue removed. Septate confirmed & removed.
    Appt with new RE 5/30/13
    Surprise BFP (with no treatment!) 6/30/13
    Our perfect little boy was born 3/11/14 - 9lbs 2oz, 21 1/4"

• Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"