North Carolina Babies
Options

NBR: anyone ever called animal control on someone?

don't know if you guys remember my post, but a couple months ago i posted about my awesome neighbors shooting a gun off at like 3am... well this is going on at their house...

they've got at least 1 or 2 dogs already, and have recently gotten another dog, a GORGEOUS husky.  we're not very close w/these neighbors but dh saw the guy giving the husky a bath and the guy said that he rescued her from someone who kept her tied up in the woods...  and several days now i've seen her tied up outside to a telephone pole.  shes a young dog, but not a small puppy.. so she might be a year old give or take.  full of energy, super sweet. 

they have a ghetto fence that fences in part of their yard but they keep the husky tied up outside of that.  i get that she may not get along with the other dogs they have, i get that the dog is full of energy... but to leave it tied up ALL THE TIME, with no dog house, and today i went over to check on her since i didn't think anyone was home, and they have her food and water out, but where she can't reach it!! WTF?? that is not cool.  and it really pisses me off.  i would take her in if i could but with ds, 6 cats, and a high energy dog, we can't do it.  i don't know if they don't care about the dog or what, but just from what i've wrote, to me they don't care about this dog.  i moved the food and water close wnough for her to reach it, but tried to not make it obvious that i moved it.

anyway, my point is, i want to call animal control on them, but i don't want them to know it was me.  a neighbor down the street called on us(because our dog chased her cat...ugh) and i had to go down to animal control and fill out paperwork to find out who complained about us... so does anyone know if you can make an anonymous complaint?  i'm sure they would figure out it was us, but i don't want it on the record that it was us, for reasons above.. i know they have a gun in the house, and they just don't seem to be the most trustworthy sane people if you know what i mean.....  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR: anyone ever called animal control on someone?

• Options
    Yes.  Someone who lives near us wasn't properly taking care of their horses.  I didn't want them to know it was me so I had my mom (who lives in another state) call.  She said she was visiting some friends here and was very concerned about the horses.  They sent someone out to check on them but they said the horses had food, water and shelter (although I wouldn't call it much of a shelter) and that was all that was required in NC.  These poor horses had this teeny, tiny make-shift fence and no room to run and barely even walk.  I felt so sorry for them.  The people finally sold them (hopefully to someone with some land for them).

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

• Options

thanks!  i started to call but then i chickened out because i wanted to talk to dh about it first... finally got him on the phone and his only comment was that he could stop by a payphone and call... not helpful dh!!! 

my mom suggested that the dog got "loose" and i bring it inside... lol... nice idea and all, but don't think that would bode too well with dh and the neighbors.... then she suggested buying/building a dog house for them... the guy there is handy and could certainly do this (he's built all kinds of wooden things for their garden so i'm sure he is capable of this)... i truly hope they are just clueless about this and not doing anything intentional to hurt the dog.  i'm going to sneak by tonight and see if they bring her in at all, now that i know she hides in the bushes lol.  i had thought they were bringing her in some but i doubt that now that i found her hiding spot.  

anyway, don't know if i can report it tomorrow or not since they will probably be closed, but i will if things don't improve.  i just wish that these people weren't sketchy to begin with, then i would feel more comfortable approaching them myself (or rather sending dh over since i'm a big chicken lol).

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i know for a fact in cabarrus and meck counties you can call w/o giving out info, unfortunately we've had to do it.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    Yes several times. I live in the county in NC. There are very few laws here about how people have to treat their animals. We have a hoarder living down the street but she keeps cats and they have even fewer necessities in the eyes of nc laws.  As for your situation CALL, CALL, CALL! they will come out and check on the dog even if the owners are away. If the dog cannot reach the food & water they will speak with the owners or leave a warning notice. Sadly it has to happen several times before they will take any real action. So just keep making the calls. and if its a weekend they won't come till monday so be sure to move the water in where she can get to it until monday! They always ask me for my name and where I live but they don;t tell the cat owner who has called. Also my neighbor is such a repeat offender they check on her once a month to be sure all the new cats have rabies shots and known of the visible animals are sick. This only happens because we all continue to complain. As for the dog being tied up all day there are no laws against that. If you can go check on her closely without being noticed by the owner always check her collar and make sure its not too snug. If she is still growing there has to be room to grow. Animal control doesn't like it when the collars become imbedded in the skin. This can happen if the dog is ignored by the family and left in a collar too small. Also if you give your address the AC officer may stop by in person to give you an update about what they found but you can ask them not to for your privacy. Please don;t be afraid to call AC they are here to help and not going to know what is going on unless you let them know!
  • Options

Since the dog has been left out in the intense heat (with our heat indices being upwards of 100-110 degrees lately), they are technically considered to be demonstrating "animal cruelty."  Here's the link to the Brunswick Co ordinances:

https://animalservices.brunsco.net/Home/OrdinanceOverview/tabid/749/Default.aspx

I'd call.  My husband is a vet, I asked him, and he said absolutely call.  The dog could suffer from heat stroke and die.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"