Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Flipping over high chair at restaurants?

My LO is still not sitting on her own, so we have to bring the car seat into restaurants.  I have personally never flipped the high chair for the car seat to go on top of it...but my question is do you think it's ok to do that??  We are going to a crowded restaurant tonight for my SILs bday so I bring the stroller is not ideal!  Thanks in advance!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Flipping over high chair at restaurants?

• Not safe. The high chair is not designed to hold the car seat, which makes the risk of it falling if someone bumps into it much higher. Before the girls sat well in a high chair I either put the car seat on the booth or chair next to me if possible, or just leave the seat in the car and hold her on my lap. Once they sat well supported, I brought our cart/high chair cover in and put them in the high chair, sometimes with a rolled blanket to help prop them up if needed.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ugh...

we did it all the time before DS was sitting on his own and it's never a problem.  The car seat fits perfectly. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageLalaMama81:
    No, I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to do that. If it's a crowded restaurant, why not just leave the seat in the car? We don't take the seat in places like that b/c it's too much of a pain. I'd just hold her, use a sling/ergo whatever if you need to. If it's a family party I'm sure there are people willing to share the baby holding duty.

I agree. I would not flip the high chair over and put the car seat in it. I would pass the baby around or try to wear LO. 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKBaker421:

ugh...

we did it all the time before DS was sitting on his own and it's never a problem.  The car seat fits perfectly. 

Yep, me too.  I usually placed it where no one will be walking back and forth around him.  Some restaurants' chairs actually are made for this (I think it's IHOP?  The chair transforms into a car seat rest).

It's more of a PITA to pass your kid around, IMO.

• Some restaurants have a sling made especially for carseats, and others have high chairs that ARE designed to hold a carseat.

Honestly I don't see how either is any safer than flipping over a regular high chair, any of the three options can easily be knocked over by someone walking by, it's not like they are anchored into the ground or anything.

• We've done it and always made sure that the high chair was away from high traffic area..either in the corner or near the wall so that it isn't in anyone's way.  The thought of having someone knock the chair over or worse...hot food being spilled on LO is heartbreaking.  You can also try propping LO up in the high chair with blankets if you are more comfortable with that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We've done it, but I've never been a big fan unless it is a highchair that is specifically made to hold carseats--which some are.  It usually doesn't fit right and feels wobbly.  If they don't have the slings and the upside down highchair is the only option then I try to position the high chair where the least traffic is and to where I can be very close to it.  If that isn't an option, then we just take her out and pass her around which usually means I get to eat last, but hey, it is worth it for her safety :)

• We've done it a few times. It's been fine, the car seat fit exactly like it did on his stroller. Although it still takes up plenty of space. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Not sure what restaurant you are going to this evening but the majority of the ones in my area have infant seats which are designed to hold the car seat.

image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've never done it as the highchairs upside down seem really unstable and uneven to me. We either use a sling or wheel in the snap and go. Actually we haven't been in a restaurant for a while but more and more lately he wants to be on my lap anyhow (he used to just hang out in the carseat). Next time we go out we'll probably try putting him in the high chair though.
  • imageCrash Into Me:

No, and it is dangerous-as is putting your baby at the edge of a booth-where the server stands to deliver your food.  I can't tell you how many times I had babies reach into my apron pockets and pull things out.  The parents were always, "Oh, Little Johnny, you're so silly," like it was funny and cute that their kid was grabbing a wine opener or lighter from my pocket. 

Anyway, no, I have never put DD in an upside down high chair.  When she was very small and couldn't sit on her own, I ate one handed unless someone else held her, or put the seat on the table or in the booth. Now, she can sit on her own, but she's very grabby so she definitely gets put in a highchair.  I have had to stuff my jacket or a blanket behind her to help her sit, but she's good now. 

Wow, I didn't know there was a certain seat you had to sit in if you had a baby. In my experience, wherever I sit LO reaches and grabs whatever he can. I've always got my eye on him but sonetimes he doesn't manage to get something he isn't supposed to have and I quickly remove it.  Honestly, for me it's easier sitting on the edge of a booth because then I can make a quick exit with LO if needed. 

OP, I've done the flipped over high chair and sometimes it's obvious that it's not safe and I would just put him on the floor. Ssometimes it fit really well and worked the same as a sling. I think all high chairs are different.  

• If the high chair is made to be flipped over and hold a car seat, I would do that. We've done it a few times.  Ideally, DD sits on the inside of a booth with me or they have the sling.  But yes, if its a high traffic area, it would probably be best just to hold baby or pass her around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • imageChrMoo:

Not sure what restaurant you are going to this evening but the majority of the ones in my area have infant seats which are designed to hold the car seat.

I had never used nor seen a sling like this until I was in Florida and I found it more unsturdy than the upside down high chair.  We opted to just hold LO at th IHOP because I was too afraid that it would get knocked over.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If it is made for a car seat with straps that go though the seat belt area I see no problem with it.  If it is busy I would also make sure little one is also belted in like in the car in case someone does tip it over.  Also not under where the waitress moves food. 

I have used one that wasn't made for it but the restaurant wasn't busy and I kept a close eye on it and took him out if he started to get wiggly.

Usually it was just me and dh so I asked for a booth and put the car seat between the table and booth on the inside.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagebabyAutumn:
    imageChrMoo:

Not sure what restaurant you are going to this evening but the majority of the ones in my area have infant seats which are designed to hold the car seat.

I had never used nor seen a sling like this until I was in Florida and I found it more unsturdy than the upside down high chair.  We opted to just hold LO at th IHOP because I was too afraid that it would get knocked over.

I agree, I used one and pretty much kept my hand on it the whole time because people/kids were walking past brushing up against it and it was not very stable at all. I've used the upside down high chair once and have no idea if it was made for that. I imagine it's the same thing as putting it in the cart seat- just because it fits and may even click, doesn't make it safe.

OP- just use your best judgement on this one.  

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• All the restaurants we go to, their high chairs are made to accomodate car seats when you flip them upside down. I've never heard of anyone not using it this way... I have also seen the sling as posted above. If it's just MH, me and the baby, we will sit her in the booth in her car seat beside one of us.
  • When LO was smaller I always just flipped the high chair upside down. I never saw a problem with it, the car seat fit perfectly.

• I am convinced restaurant high chairs are death traps. We tried the flip over thing once and it just seemed really unsteady so we just put the seat on the floor (it was a very spacious restaurant and we were next to the window).

Now, that DS is old enough to actually sit in the high chairs I tried one out and within 5 minutes he was grabbing the side and rocking back and forth and almost tipped the chair over! So...no restaurant high chairs for us. 

DS sits on my lap at meals 

• imageLalaMama81:

I don't even get the appeal of bringing a car seat into a crowded restaurant at this age anyway. Even if DD was sleeping when we got to the restaurant, she wouldn't stay asleep all the way in, waiting for the table, sitting down, getting situated. Then I'd have an awake baby, a huge, awkward carseat in the wait staff's way, etc. Those sling things don't look sturdy at all, and with a 7-10lb car seat and a 15lb baby, that could be pretty top heavy. Lastly (now that I'm on a roll!), if they are awake, how many 6-9 month old would be happy reclined like that while everyone was socializing/chatting around them? You can't feed them in that position, so it's not like it's even useful 

Ok, end rant. I just really hate infant bucket seats!  

Me too! I know someone that their 10 month old is still carried in places in the infant seat (and he's 23 pounds). I lost my LO in the infant seat at 5 months.  

• Wow, some of you worry about things I have never even considered....

OP, just wanted to throw out there that some carseats don't fit in the high chairs flipped upside-down (ie:Graco Snugride 35, the one we have). I wish it would have fit, because we go out to eat a lot, and it has been a hassle having to put the seat next to me on the booth or chair. The Koala Slings pictured above have been the best, I thought, since you can strap the carseat into it and they have always been sturdy for us.

For what it's worth, we have one of the high chairs that clamps on to the table, that we take out to restaurants with us. I'm a bit nervous of restaurant high chairs because my LO is pretty squirrelly and likes to throw her head back while eating (yeah, that's awesome).

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Don't do it!! I did once when DD was a week and a half old and relatives flew in to see her. It was OK while we were all seated, but after dinner when I went to get up, I bumped the chair and noticed that it could have very easily tipped over! Never did that again.

• imageRachaelA:
    I have never seen a high chair flipped upside down with a carseat on it. Its really that common?

This made me feel better.  I've never even heard of this.  When she was still in the carrier, we just took the carrier inside and requested a booth. We never had any sort of issue.

• I got a great travel highchair from summer infants. small easy and light weigh and it also reclines.I wanted a high chair for my sister's house that goes on a chair. My son likes to lean to one side and I like to take it with us when we eat out. I love the recline when he is having his bottle and it has the five point harness and the tray snaps on and off,  This high chair goes up to a booster seat.
  • We did it all the time before we got a the fisher price healthy care delux booster seat. Now we take that with us. But we never had a problem with flipping a high chair over. She was always in there very securely.  Also, some restaurants have slings that are made for car seats. Just see if they have one.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"