Pre-School and Daycare
Options

New sibling + DD = Little Miss Meltdown

Wow, 3 year old DD has been off her rocker since her sister arrived. I'm still trying to keep her routine in at tAct as much as possible and do our normal things like nap time:bed time. I'm going to start pumping next weekend so I can get out of the house with just her but I don't know what else to do to help. She's so emotional and won't.stop.whining. She gets really frustrated with things like putting a book in her back pack and turns into a wild screeching ape child. Last night was our first meltdown free evening but she made up for it today at the store. I was prepared for her to be upset but in a different way I guess...Oh and there is zero listening. I feel like #2 is being raised in complete chaos vs the idyllic peace that #1 cane home to. Hoping this gets better?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: New sibling + DD = Little Miss Meltdown

• Options

It does. . . And then it doesn't and then it does again.  My oldest turned 3 two months after dd2 was born.  It was and still can be very frustrating.  I had to make sure I spent special one on one time with dd1. It was hard cuz she annoyed me to no end with the meltdowns and her sudden lack of independence. More time with her helped. 

Then when dd2 hit milestones so to speak - became more interactive, started sitting, ate solids - the whining got worse again.  So it comes and goes. As I said, the hardest part for me was to be "nice" to her when I just wanted her to go away!  I took some deep breaths, gave her a hug and we would play a game or read a book.

Good luck! 

• Options
    I don't have a #2 but we are dealing with a lot of the same things with DS. I think it's just the age. Good luck.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are dealing with a lot of similar issues with DS and I don't even have a baby.  When DD was 3 we had many of the same problems with her, so I think a lot of it is the age.  I'm sure that having a new baby in the house doesn't make things easy either.  DD will be 5 now and is much, much better and has been for some time (I can't remember exactly when things changed, I think around the time she turned 4).  I'm sure things will get better, it may take some time, though. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Options
    imageMelissa17:

It does. . . And then it doesn't and then it does again.  My oldest turned 3 two months after dd2 was born.  It was and still can be very frustrating.  I had to make sure I spent special one on one time with dd1. It was hard cuz she annoyed me to no end with the meltdowns and her sudden lack of independence. More time with her helped. 

Then when dd2 hit milestones so to speak - became more interactive, started sitting, ate solids - the whining got worse again.  So it comes and goes. As I said, the hardest part for me was to be "nice" to her when I just wanted her to go away!  I took some deep breaths, gave her a hug and we would play a game or read a book.

Good luck! 

Yes, yes she bugs me and I hate feeling like that towards her. It is better this week but last week the post partum hormones made me feel towards her like I did towards DH when #1 was born. Once I recognized the feeling it was easier to deal with. Thanks for the tips regarding the milestones. I think a lot of the behaviors were coming to the surface recently but the new baby really kicked things into gear. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My oldest was a nightmare when her sibling was born- for months.  We did all the things you're "supposed" to do- stay in routine,  'special' time when we could, including her, etc.  Nothing worked.  Some kids just have a harder time than others dealing w/that transition.  Don't worry about #2- "typically" (obviously not in all cases) #2 learns to go w/the flow a a lot better.  I noted your baby is just a couple of weeks old- I hope it evens out soon for you.  This is all very normal behavior, just very frustrating for all of you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"