Adoption
Options

Adoption on the playground

I don't usually talk about DD's adoption, esp on the playground. Just not relevant with random stranger, you know?

But yesterday the opportunity came up with a mom I was chatting with. I happened to mention DD was adopted, and braced myself for whatever might come out of her mouth.

Turns out her cousin just adopted 2 kids from Ethiopia, and she and her kids just went to visit them.

You truly never know when someone will have an adoption story to share.

Re: Adoption on the playground

• Options

Its funny you mention this story.

As we have slowly have been telling family members and friends,  the people always  share a story about a friend, neighbor, coworker or family member that just adopted. I always brace myself for what ever moron unfiltered thought that a person might say but have never gotten any sort of negative response.

Granted, this is before we adopt our baby from China. Who knows what unfiltered thoughts we will hear afterwards...I have a feeling we have no idea what type of things people will say in that situation.

What is the most common annoying thing that someone tells you about your DD's adoption?

• Options
    imagepepiono_627:

Its funny you mention this story.

What is the most common annoying thing that someone tells you about your DD's adoption?

We don't get annoying comments very often, but I think I've read so much that I'm waiting for that one person to blow my mind. We've only gotten a couple of things:

The nurse who heard we were adopting and told me how smart her friend's adopted kids are, like they're all supposed to be dumb or something

The woman who said DD was "almost ours" because she was 2 days old when we took her home.

Other than that, it's been pretty positive

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I just wrote a similar post on my blog.  I was at the park and happened to mention to the woman I was talking to that we had adopted Z.  She told me that she was an adoptee who didn't know she was adopted until she was a teenager.  We had a really interesting conversation about open adoption. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageArt Teacher:

I just wrote a similar post on my blog.  I was at the park and happened to mention to the woman I was talking to that we had adopted Z.  She told me that she was an adoptee who didn't know she was adopted until she was a teenager.  We had a really interesting conversation about open adoption. 

That must have been a fascinating conversation

• Options

Dr. L - She (the woman at the park) had been adopted by her aunt.  Her birthmom (who she always thought was just a cousin) was a teenager and was forced by her parents to choose adoption after trying to raise the baby on her own for a couple of months.  Then the aunt adopted her but no one told her she was adopted until she was a teen.  Then she found out and it was like her whole world was upside down.  She said her birthmom does not want to talk with her and restart a relationship because it's too painful for her and brings up to many memories.  So sad.  And her birthfather has a lot of issues and is okay but more like a distant-friend not like a birthfather.

She was happy to hear about our relationship with dd's birthmom and her family.  And it turns out she grew up (out of state) in the same state as dd's birthmom's family - another connection.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"