Baby Showers
Options

Shower for 2nd Baby?

2»

Re: Shower for 2nd Baby?

• Options
    imageBallSox:

Oh come on guys, why wouldn't you throw another shower for any subsequent kids you might have? I mean, come on.  If people don't want to spend their money on you, they won't come. There's no harm in INVITING them, they have the OPTION not to come or not to bring a gift if they do come.

I mean, not a single solitary hormonal and entitled preg-zilla is going to get their feelings hurt that their friends and family didn't show up to shower them with more useless crap that they already got for their first baby. Right?

I mean, just like every single over-indulgent mommy to be is going to accept the fact that someone just got them something small or cute instead of something practical from their registry.  A mom would never b!tch that someone got them something as sweet as clothes instead of a pnp or diapers, right?  Surely the moms to be are examples of sanity and rationality. 

Of course! I mean have you come across anyone, on this site for instance, that is anything but a perfect example of pregnant sanity and rationality? ::snort::

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Well, Ladies, this board has officially terrified me and stressed me out.  I am due with my second child in June and rumors of a second shower are floating around.  My sister has two boys (7 and 9) and I have a two year old son.  My son has had very blue eyes since he was born.  So, over 75 percent of his clothes are blue.  My family was so excited to buy pink!  They have been stock piling pink and purple items since they found out.  I have not asked for a shower. I even told them that most people did not like them.  They only want to invite family and close friends.  I am not registering anywhere, either.  I had a c-section with my son and I am a high risk pregnancy, so I am having one with my daughter too.  I really do not want a ton of people in my house, that I would have to clean, after the baby is born, while watching a newborn, a two year old and recovering from surgery.  And to be honest, I do not get much time off from work. 

On a side note, when my best friend had a boy seven years after having a girl.  i threw her a HUGE shower!  She had nothing saved and I did not meet her until her daughter was 10months old, so I was not even at the first shower.

And when my boss had a son,  after having a daughter, I went around the office seeing if anyone wanting to give any money to a Babies R US gift card and raised $200 for him.  (I also was not working there when his first was born.) So, no shower, but a nice gift that he could really use.

I think that people will do what they want to do and the Mother (me) might not have much say., esp if it a surprise shower.   Hopefully, I will not be blasted for this post.  I am having an off day and seriously will cry if the above people are mean to me too.  I hardly ever post anything, but this topic has been on my mind a lot.  That is why  read this post to begin with.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageWardrobegirl:

I think that people will do what they want to do and the Mother (me) might not have much say., esp if it a surprise shower.   Hopefully, I will not be blasted for this post.  I am having an off day and seriously will cry if the above people are mean to me too.  I hardly ever post anything, but this topic has been on my mind a lot.  That is why  read this post to begin with.  

If this is true, you need to back off of the internet for awhile. 

First of all, YMMV.  While most people think second showers are tacky, there obviously are people who embrace the whole idea of "celebrating every baby by throwing a shower and inviting everyone you know."

Secondly, as has been stated numerous times previously, most people wouldn't judge the mom so bad if they knew it was not any of her doing.  Here's the rub though, if you're inviting people that don't know that "Crazy Aunt Sally included a three page detailed list of what you do and do not want and exactly how to wrap your present because she always goes overboard with these types of thing" you probably shouldn't be inviting them anyways.  Second showers/sprinkles should be limited to very close friends family and be much smaller.  With a group that small, they would know if it's you or if it's your host that has no tact and wouldn't judge the M2B nearly as much as if she was running the whole thing behind the scenes. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    I ended up having a small get together with friends for my second baby.  Unfortunately, my hostess still used the phrase Baby Shower and asked me to register.  I was very uncomfotable with this and should've said  no,  I just registered for diapers only. 
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageohiobride2004:

imageFrecklesInside:
    I really don't get the rule of no second shower. If it is between friends and family that you know wouldn't be offended but happy to help out and celebrate the pregnancy, why not? I think it is such a stupid "rule." As long as you're not sending out invites to every person she knows - then yes. Do it.

I agree with you. I am having a second shower because my sisters want to throw a shower for me. I am also in a different city then I was with DD and I know a lot of different people now that I didn't when I was PG the first time. So they will all get to celebrate with me this time. I don't care how many children a woman has she always deserves to be showered!

this exactly. I think its funny how "strict" epople get about multiple showers. hahaha I have been to some of mommys that have had their 3rd child. we typically do diapers and clothes. its just funny how people get

• Options
    imageohiobride2004:

imageFrecklesInside:
    I really don't get the rule of no second shower. If it is between friends and family that you know wouldn't be offended but happy to help out and celebrate the pregnancy, why not? I think it is such a stupid "rule." As long as you're not sending out invites to every person she knows - then yes. Do it.

I agree with you. I am having a second shower because my sisters want to throw a shower for me. I am also in a different city then I was with DD and I know a lot of different people now that I didn't when I was PG the first time. So they will all get to celebrate with me this time. I don't care how many children a woman has she always deserves to be showered!

this exactly. I think its funny how "strict" epople get about multiple showers. hahaha I have been to some of mommys that have had their 3rd child. we typically do diapers and clothes. its just funny how people get

• Options
    imageohiobride2004:

imageFrecklesInside:

• Options
    A friend hosted a celebration for the second child (different gender). It was small, just close friends, and it felt like a good way to honor the family. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think in some cases it is okay but I believe it is more acceptable due to a speration of age rather than gender.

I had my first son 7 years ago. After all that time I have absolutely nothing still around and I was not expecting anymore children, therefore no reason to keep anything. Now I am pregnant with my second and it is my husband's first. My best friend wants to throw me a shower and all of my friends are already asking about when it will be. I feel that no one expects someone to keep all of the baby gear for 7 years and are not only understanding but also looking forward to a shower. Plus, my husband and all of his friends and family are looking forward to it as well.

I do not believe that a wedding is not very comparable because people keep pans and pots and linens and vases their whole life. People do not keep bottles, cribs, carseats and swings generally much longer than once they are grown out of and no one expects them too.

I do agree though that although we are having a shower for this baby I am not going to invite all of my old family friends and extended family (out of state aunts, etc) again, it will be more for the people we are closer to in our lives.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"