C-sections
Options

The nasty drink before a csection :/

2»

Re: The nasty drink before a csection :/

• Options
    I had a scheduled c-section and didn't need to drink it.  I've heard that it's in case you've had anything to eat/drink within 8 hours.  I actually went into labor before my c, but since it happened in the morning, I hadn't eaten anything yet.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

My 1st c-section was an emergency and I don't remember having the drink.

My RCS was this past week and I did have to drink it.  It was gross, but definitely not the worst part of the experience (my least favorite part of prep was the catheter).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ah, the "stomach neutralizer" (sp?). HATE THE STUFF!!! I went in to be induced, knowing I may have to have a c-section. (I had gestational diabetes and a chorioangioma on my placenta)  After 16 hours of labor (nothing to eat or really drink the entire time), I hadn't dilated more than half a CM. UGH! Doc gave me a choice, and I opted for a c-section.  Nurse gave me the sour drink.  Blech!! Even worse was throwing it up as they pulled her out. And for hours afterwards because I had nothing in my stomach. I don't know that everyone reacts this way....but it was my personal experience.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options

imagepurpleXdandelion:
    I had an emergency c/s and I had to take it. they said it was to keep away an upset stomach. Which is ironic because as soon as I drank it, I projectile vomited all over. Stick out tongue

This! They were wheeling me out of the room, into surgery and a cute, young couple were on their way to see a friend (I assume, they were on the Maternity ward and she wasn't pregnant) and I vomited in front of them. The nurse felt so bad for me. I had tears running down my face (from throwing up) and it left the most god awful taste in my mouth.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had what they refer to as an emergency c/s (but really if you have time to drink this crap is there an emergency???) and I did have to drink it.  But that's because I had just had supper and a big one.  It does taste awful but I did feel better after having it.  I didn't realize how yuck I was feeling until that feeling went away after drinking the junk. The nurse said throw your head back and shoot it down is the best way to not taste it so much.  And I had a bad experience with the first spinal but the 2nd went right in, no problems whatsoever.  So they're all different and maybe you'll have better luck this time.  A lot depends on the person doing it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ewww I forgot about that drink until now....lol it was nasty but I didn't get sick at all....oh I was induced and had an unplanned c-section...but I was told not to eat after 12am the night before....so I guess not eating didn't matter....some hospitals do it and some don't!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

They tried to get me to drink it as they were running down to the OR for the emergency c-section.  The nurse told me, "drink this fast and don't taste it". 

I tasted a little and then spit it out.  Needless to say, I didn't consume any of it and it still had a c-section.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

Yes, I had to drink it and it was really really bitter. The spinal wasn't bad at all though. I think the worst part was getting the catheter :(

I had an emergency c-section. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Ugh I forgot about that nasty drink. It made me throw up... I have a really sensitive gag reflex and can't even drink cough syrup.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

The spinal was a tiny prick. No big deal. The drink beforehand was the least of my concerns. I just made a face and tossed it back like a shot.

I was worried about much different things...

• Options
    The drink that is being referred to is something called Bi-citra. It is an antacid used to settle the stomach because of the anesthesia not because of having a c-secion. I am a L&D nurse and we give it prior to someone having an epidural as well.  I have had 3 sections and will be having my 4th in July. The medicine smells like black licorice and tastes horrible. I have not met many patients who do not mind the taste!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"