3rd Trimester

What not to eat days before GTT?

I heard limit sugar but is there anything else I can do to get an accurate result?

Re: What not to eat days before GTT?

• I did not change my eating habits day leading to the GTT test.

All you need to do is fast per the doctor's instructions on the day of the test. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The weird thing is that they told me I didn't have to fast. I said are you sure? And the answer was no lol
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't have to eat or not eat anything in the days prior to the test. Just follow your doctor's instructions for the day of the test. If you have GD there's no way to trick the test.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemel101:
    The weird thing is that they told me I didn't have to fast. I said are you sure? And the answer was no lol

I didn't have to fast. I ate toast and a serving of grits prior to going...and drank water. Obviously, you don't want to eat a bag of candy or a huge cinnamon roll prior to going.  The 1 hour test measures how long it takes your body to process the amount of sugar in the glucola they give you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't want to trick it but I just see so many that fail the 1 hour and then pass the 3 hour. I'm dreading it lol
  • imagemrs+harlow:

imagemel101:
    The weird thing is that they told me I didn't have to fast. I said are you sure? And the answer was no lol

I didn't have to fast. I ate toast and a serving of grits prior to going...and drank water. Obviously, you don't want to eat a bag of candy or a huge cinnamon roll prior to going.  The 1 hour test measures how long it takes your body to process the amount of sugar in the glucola they give you.

Mmmm grits sound yummy!:)

• Are you doing the 1 hour or 3 hour??

If you are doing the 1 hour, there is no fasting before the test. If you are doing the 3 hour, they will tell you what the fasting time is.

However, there is nothing you can do to potentially "trick" the test in to thinking your blood sugar isn't high/low/normal nor would you want to. This is a test for the well being of you and your LO. Do what you would normally do on any other day.

The 1 hour is seen as a "random" test. Like you shouldn't know it's coming. Eat however you would, drink however you would, and then they will give you the test.

The 3 hour is a test that is taken with preparation.

For instance: I took my 1 hour and the night before I had Chinese food. I didn't take my test until noon the next day and was running around like a crazy lady so I hadn't eaten a thing -- ya think that would be OK? No, I failed the test. Because the drink is used to see how your body will process the sugar. The 3 hour - I had to fast for 12 hours prior to the test and passed with flying colors. There is no way to trick the test. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oooooh and really -- the 1 hour made me feel like I had been hit by a mac truck - horrible! I knew immediately I had failed it.

The 3 hour -- honestly -- wasn't bad at all! I brought my kindle, I read Chelsea Handler and laughed my butt off and felt like I could run laps around the lab lol

Good Luck! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemel101:
    I don't want to trick it but I just see so many that fail the 1 hour and then pass the 3 hour. I'm dreading it lol

It is common. Its not pleasant. You'll live. 

Eat normally. Follow your doctor's instructions. YWIA. 

• I just took the 3 hour test today. If that's what you're talking about, I was just told to eat normally the 3 days before the test, don't skip meals and if I wanted to eat candy, eat candy. I was told to fast from midnight the night before my test, but I finished dinner around 730-8pm and just didn't eat or drink anything after. I was at the hospital at 7am this morning, took the test and PASSED!

I had a jug of water and a protein bar waiting for me in the car afterwards. It really wasn't bad at all, if nothing else, boring. Good luck!!

• Eat as you have been.  As for fasting if you are doing the 1 hour GTT some OBs require fasting and others do not so just do what your doctor said.

If you end up having to do the three hour it's really not that bad.  It will be a fasting test (usually 8-12 hours prior to the test) but if you bring something to do the time will fly by.  I've had a 1, 2 and 3 hour GTTs done and they aren't that big of a deal. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I didn't change my eating habits. I even ate some fruit right before and still came out on the low end. My score was 63. Had I known it was going to be THAT low, I would have eaten a lot beforehand.
    imageimageimage
  • I ate the same and didn't have to fast.  I passed mine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • I also ate normally and passed the 1-hour GTT. I think I had cereal or a bagel, and maybe even some juice that morning. If you want the test to be accurate, just do as you normally do. 
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Changing your diet days in advance is not going to do anything to help your GTT result.

Having a sugary breakfast/snack/meal just before your GTT may have a slight affect but the reality is that no matter what you eat, if you have GD, you have it...if you don't, you don't.

Your body will either be able to OR be unable to process the sugar boost from the nasty orange drink you consume.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When I asked my OB office, they told me not to eat anything after midnight.  I may call them soon and double check that.
  • I avoided carbs, because they break down quickly into sugars. Just from probably a half day before the test. No diet or fasting or anything, just healthy eating.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did the 1 hour and did not have to fast.  I could eat right up until I had the drink and then I was allowed to have water after.  My midwife did tell me to eat a high protein breakfast to avoid feeling sick.

I didn't do anything to "trick" the test and continued to eat like I normally do.  I passed with flying colors and didn't feel sick whatsoever after taking the test. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePickyNikki:
    I also ate normally and passed the 1-hour GTT. I think I had cereal or a bagel, and maybe even some juice that morning. If you want the test to be accurate, just do as you normally do. 

same here hahaha I even drank a glass of milk for the extra protein. my dr made me fast for 3hours before drinking the drink :(. I ate mexican food the night before hahaha I called it my final meal. and then I ate a very large banana and a huge bowl of cereal for breakfast. I passed flying colors

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"