Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Ear infections

What is your take on giving infant antibiotics for an ear infection, My LO has mild ear infections in both ears and the pedi gave us antibiotics. I have heard differenet things about giving antibiotics to infants. So I am just curious what you think about it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ear infections

• Options

Lydia just got over an ear infection and was prescribed antibiotics for it. I gave them to her because I believe that her doctor knows more about what is the better plan of action. She took the pink stuff in the bottle twice a day, and it was a biotch to get it in her. She fought and fought taking the meds. (Her sister at the same age LOVED taking the same meds!) I had to make a bottle, start feeding her, then slip the tip of the dosage syringe into the corner of her mouth and slowly push the medication into her mouth as she drank the bottle. Some kids take meds easily and some don't. But I strongly believe, and trust, that Lydia's doctor has her(Lydia's) best interests and health in mind when she prescribes meds.

• Options

Normally antibiotics aren't given for a mild ear infection. They will go away on their own. I wouldn't give the antibiotics unless LO is in pain. I am also a bit crunchy though and I would try garlic oil or some other kind of homeopathic drops before antibiotics.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If my LO is prescribed an antibiotic I give it to them.  With my kids, their ear infections usually go from mild to horrible in a few day. By the time I get them to the doctor they are very irritable and in pain.  Is your LO in pain or acting any differently?  I just know how painful they can be (I have had two this year) and would hate for my kids to be in pain like that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagepam1005:
    If my LO is prescribed an antibiotic I give it to them.  With my kids, their ear infections usually go from mild to horrible in a few day. By the time I get them to the doctor they are very irritable and in pain.  Is your LO in pain or acting any differently?  I just know how painful they can be (I have had two this year) and would hate for my kids to be in pain like that.

This.  DD's ear infection go from mild to severe overnight.  When our doctor prescribes her an antibiotic we give it to her. 

• Options
    I've taken both my LO's to the chiropractor. All he does is tug on their ears. The relief seems to be instant. At first I was a little unsure, but I thought it was worth a try. I was very pleased with the results.
  • Options
    I just took ds to his 9 month check up and he had an ear infection. I had no idea-except he screamed for about an hour last night, but I just thought it was a fluke. I won't take antibiotics if I have an ear infection but if it gets too bad I will. My ds can't tell me how much it hurts so until he can I will give the antibiotics. Like other posters have said ear infections can get bad fast and until he can tell me it hurts I will trust my doc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"