Adoption

How long?

How long did it take for you to be done with your home study and waiting?  I am looking into domestic infant adoption.

Re: How long?

• From our first contact w/the agency, our homestudy took 6 months.  We worked as quickly as we could, but our agency requires a 2-day training that is booked months in advance.  We've now been waiting almost 4 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is going to vary sooo much.  It just varies depending on the home study professional used, if your agency does the home study or you can hire someone independent, etc.  We matched before we were done with our home study and had to rush to finish it since the baby was due in one week.  I would guess that our entire home study took about 8 to 9 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • We put our application in with the agency in Dec 2010 and we could have finished by May 2011 but my DH had a lot of business trips planned so we asked not to go active until July 22, 2011.  The longest part was getting our video done (which was a total waste of money but that's another story I guess.)
    Our adoption was finalized January 2012!
  • Our home study was 99% complete when we were matched. We were still waiting on my FBI background check because my prints had to be re-done 3 times. So were officially waiting before our home study was complete. The hs took 3 months.
    June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• We got the packet from the home study agency in September. We started getting our info together & it took until early December for us to have the packet completed. (We waited for 9 weeks or so for our FBI fingerprint clearances.) We still don't have a complete home study, although we're hoping to have it done in the next few weeks. So, about 5-6 months, but about 1/2 of that was prior to having the paperwork completed.
  • This will vary based on your strategy.  I used a social worker who works with many agencies and paid her separately.  The timeline for first hs was maybe 2 mos total.  The update the following year took longer due to FBI background check. 
  • From the day we attended the agency's orientation and got all our paperwork, to the day we had an approved home study in our hands, was about 4 months, exactly.  It would have been shorter, but our agency lost a social worker right before our orientation.  We were really on the ball about getting medical paperwork and criminal clearances though.  That part can have a fairly long lead time, depending on what time of year you apply.  If you're trying to get your child abuse clearances the same time a bunch of teaching graduates are requesting them, your wait will be a bit longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"