Health & Exercise
Options

Exercising and not weight loss?

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week for around 1.5 hours and burn around 500+ calories (50 min cardio, rest in weights) and I've lost 3lbs in 5 weeks, WTF? That doesn't seem correct I'm not small but only 5" tall(Starting at 236 and hanging at 229) and I have no idea WTF I'm doing wrong. I eat properly around 1400 calories. Could I made that much muscle that I see no weight loss because it's gained in muscle?

Sorry I'm so frustrated and I just started. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Our baby site: Baby Cragg

Re: Exercising and not weight loss?

• Options
    imageCARunner:

Track the calories you're eating, and burn more calories per week.  It's math.

Ditto!

When I was losing weight I started at 1200 calories a day.  I wore a HRM when I worked out so I knew exactly how many calories to eat back.  I'd average a burn of 800-1200 calories a day (I'd workout 2-3 times a day) and eat about 1600-2000 calories a day and 1 splurge meal a week of what ever I wanted (half a pizza if I wanted it).  I averaged a loss of 10 lbs a month for 8 months.

I recommend MyFitnessPal to help you track your diet & exercise.  Remember that weight loss is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It usually takes me a good month of working out before I start seeing progress.  It's a pain but just keep pushing through.  Keep track of your food.  :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The math isn't quite a simple as what the PP stated. Yes, a pound is equal to 3500 calories. But you have to have a net loss of 3500 calories to lose a pound. To accurately know how many calories you burn each day you have to factor in your basal metabolic rate. This is the calories your body burns by just functioning. Based on your height (5') and weight (229lbs) and I guessed at an age (26) your BMR is around 1800 calories.

So, if you're only eating 1400 calories per day, before you even factor in exercise you are at a net loss of 400 calories per day. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I'd try upping your calories. If you eat too few calories you can slow down your metabolism, making it more difficult to lose weight (and maintain weight loss). When running at a big deficit your body will also hold on to the fat.

Have you looked into a website such as myfitnesspal, livestrong, or sparkpeople? You can enter in your current age, weight, exercise regimen, and weight loss goals and it will give you a calorie range you should stick to. You can also use the site to track what you are eating to make sure you aren't eating more (or less) than you think you are.

• Options
    Another consideration is the quality of the 1400 cals a day. Is it prepackaged garbage you're eating or is it fresh fruit, veggies, lean protein and healthy fats? If you are serious about losing weight, it is worth the investment of seeing a registered dietician at least once.  Not to sound harsh, but the weight you need to lose to be healthy is about 100lbs and that is going to take time and likely professional guidance. You have taken the first step by starting to get active and reducing your intake, so I wish you the best of luck. You will notice results over time of you can commit to making this a lifestyle change that has you eating healthy and not just dieting. Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"