Baby Showers
Options

bonus gift...tacky?

2»

Re: bonus gift...tacky?

• Options

Gesh theres a lot of heat on this board...LOL

But where i live diaper raffles are at almost every shower and are optional.

Also the book for card idea is as well bcause they can buy books at the dollar store and cards are a dollar up to 5 depending on the kind of cards ppl buy. here was a neat idea for the card option on invite. It gives freedom to bring a new or used book as books are just as good either way :)

As (Mother to be's name) due date is coming near,
    We're inviting friends and family dear.
    To choose a favorite story or fairy tale
    That you would like Baby ________ to hear.
    Instead of a card, please let (mother to be's name) look,
    At your special choice of a book,
    and then to Baby __________ she will read
    With all the love a newborn will need.
    So with a personal touch, please choose a book
    And in it then your name do put.
    It need not cost more than a card
    Just pick a favorite, it shouldn't be hard

Also heres a link to some other catchy poems to help with idea:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/9820309.aspx?MsdVisit=1

Dont let ppl intimadate you, do what you feel comfortable with! If ppl dont want to participate they wont. If they do great! Smile

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekmonk04:

Dont let ppl intimadate you, do what you feel comfortable with! If ppl dont want to participate they wont. If they do great! Smile

No, no, no. Let us intimidate you. Listen to us. We know what we are talking about. If people don't want to participate, they will talk about you behind your back, but they will probably still participate so they don't look like they aren't playing along. They will just get you a smaller regular gift. And then neither you or your other guests that thought this was a brilliant idea will get the hint that this is a bad idea and will keep perpetuating the myth that this type of gift demand is acceptable.

If you want books, register for books. If you want diapers, register for diapers. All other gifts are just that...a GIFT not a game, gimmick or obligation.

Sorry to be blunt, but if I was doing something that was going to make me look bad I would definitely want to be warned in advance. 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMelleTX:
    imagekmonk04:

No, no, no. Let us intimidate you. Listen to us. We know what we are talking about. If people don't want to participate, they will talk about you behind your back, but they will probably still participate so they don't look like they aren't playing along. They will just get you a smaller regular gift. And then neither you or your other guests that thought this was a brilliant idea will get the hint that this is a bad idea and will keep perpetuating the myth that this type of gift demand is acceptable.

If you want books, register for books. If you want diapers, register for diapers. All other gifts are just that...a GIFT not a game, gimmick or obligation.

Sorry to be blunt, but if I was doing something that was going to make me look bad I would definitely want to be warned in advance. 

Listen to Mellie!  We are just saying to you the things that your friends will be saying behind your back.  We are trying to help you so that you don't give them a reason to.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

At my shower the invites read something cute asking for a book for babys library instead of cards. I know a lot of people on here would flame that but honestly Iv been to tons of showers that ask for that and I got a ton of books! Some people even bought like 4 or 5 books. I was deff not offended if someone didnt bring one. 

Also I know quite a few people that did a diaper raffel. So the if the guest brought in a pack of diapers you got a ticket (the bigger the box the more tickets you got) and at the end they would raffel off a gift basket full of stuff. Wine/cheese, hair products, giftcards, a picninc basket full of stuff. etc

Iv seen it done. Alot. And im from CT we have a reputaion up here for being pretty snotty! 

• Options
    imageascar29:

At my shower the invites read something cute asking for a book for babys library instead of cards. I know a lot of people on here would flame that but honestly Iv been to tons of showers that ask for that and I got a ton of books! Some people even bought like 4 or 5 books. I was deff not offended if someone didnt bring one. 

Also I know quite a few people that did a diaper raffel. So the if the guest brought in a pack of diapers you got a ticket (the bigger the box the more tickets you got) and at the end they would raffel off a gift basket full of stuff. Wine/cheese, hair products, giftcards, a picninc basket full of stuff. etc

Iv seen it done. Alot. And im from CT we have a reputaion up here for being pretty snotty! 

I'm sorry, this kind of thing generally doesn't bother me, but your post is KILLING me.  Please check spelling and punctuation if you want people to take you seriously!  And it's I've, not Iv. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    Umm.. Yah, a terrible rhyme that reiterates the book request a thousand times and then goes so far as to say "you cheap b!tches don't have to spend more than you would on a card!" Makes the situation worse, not better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageDO-JO:
    Umm.. Yah, a terrible rhyme that reiterates the book request a thousand times and then goes so far as to say "you cheap b!tches don't have to spend more than you would on a card!" Makes the situation worse, not better.

Yup. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Really all that poem needs is a passive aggressive remark about how if you don't buy a book you hate literacy and kick puppies for sport. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

imageBallSox:
    Really all that poem needs is a passive aggressive remark about how if you don't buy a book you hate literacy and kick puppies for sport. 

To the old biddie family members and the young friends,

We're asking for your help to so mom to be can meet ends.

Our mom to be is cheap, hasn't planned for baby and is in need

So buy her extra stuff, we swear it's not out of greed!

A book, some diapers or how about some cash?

Just make sure it's not pink or it's going in the trash!

A raffle prize might be yours to take,

So please join us for punch and cake. 

• Options
    imageBallSox:

It's totally fun for me, Liz.  I get to spend $20 so I don't feel awkward not participating in the big diaper raffle drawing in order to win last season's clearance soap from B&BW! 

HILARIOUS!!! 

• Options
    imageDO-JO:

imageBallSox:

hahahaha!!! This thread is entertaining!  Good job!!! ;) 

• Options
    imageDO-JO:

imageBallSox:

hahahaha!!! This thread is entertaining!  Good job!!! ;) 

• Options
    You ladies don't have to be such gashes. Get over yourselves. For a babyshower board you seem to hate baby showers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageDO-JO:

imageBallSox:

that's awesome, I'm saving it to print on the back of the invites!
  • Options
    imagebeckybeth123:
    You ladies don't have to be such gashes. Get over yourselves. For a babyshower board you seem to hate baby showers.
    it's all in fun now. this post was over on the 1st page.
  • Options
    This is my new favorite board, just sayin'.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagebeckybeth123:

What's a gash? I thought we were bishes???

I love baby showers! I love attending them. I love hosting them. And God-willing one day I will love being honored at one. However, I am also a stickler for etiquette and good manners. Thankfully the two go hand-in-hand. (At least in my world). 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options

imagebeckybeth123:

Ohh come on and have a sense of humour with us, most of this is tongue-in-cheek. 

• Options

imageMrs.Saxy:
    imagebeckybeth123:
    it's all in fun now. this post was over on the 1st page.

Seriously, people need to lighten up!  I'm glad you got it, most OPs get all butt-hurt.

• Options
    imageMelleTX:

imagebeckybeth123:

What's a gash? I thought we were bishes???

I love baby showers! I love attending them. I love hosting them. And God-willing one day I will love being honored at one. However, I am also a stickler for etiquette and good manners. Thankfully the two go hand-in-hand. (At least in my world). 

I think it's possibly a new PC way of calling us .

• Options

I've been to showers where it was asked and where it wasn't, no one really made a fuss.

I guess it's kinda like a wedding shower wishing well - I didn't have one but you assume small items go in there (like kitchen/bathroom things) so if you mentioned a book well or name it something more clever people can decide for themselves if they're going to get you say --- $50 gift card or $40 giftcard and $10 book, etc.

I think these days anything goes and you def can't please everyone all the time. I think it's a little more weird to mention 'win a giftcard if you bring a book' - now you're getting into like Beef and Beer territory.

• Options

Some people will think this is tacky and others will not.  You know the group of people better than internet strangers, do what you think is best.  There are certain things that are acceptable in some circles and not in others.

One of the best ways I have seen a book request is;

"One small request that won't be too hard
    Please bring a book instead of a card
    Whether Cat in the Hat or Winnie the Pooh
    You can sign the inside cover with a note from you
    Baby will become very smart, if my advice you do heed
    If we begin early, baby will soon love to read!"

With this, you still have the note inside of the book issue...

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options

haha I don't know what's more ridiculous- The fact that she called you a 'Newbie' as an insult or the fact that you're really offended by it.

The pride people take in how long they have been on thebump and how much time they spend on here... seriously funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"