Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Will/do you use the word "butt?" (clicky)

I remember growing up that my aunt wouldn't let my cousin say "butt".  It was always "bottom" and "butt" was an off-limits word.  Even when I was pretty little I remember thinking it was eyeroll-worthy.  A butt is a butt. Come on.

I just found out that SIL uses "tushie" and doesn't let her girls say "butt".  I don't have a problem so much with saying tushie if that's what you prefer, but it seems really dumb to forbid "butt".

Is "butt" a word you'd rather your kid not say?  Or is this just silly?

[Poll]
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Will/do you use the word "butt?" (clicky)

• Options
    We normally use "tushie" or "tush", but not because "butt" is forbidden.  And sometimes I will look at his little butt and say "aw, what a cute baby butt!".  So no, it's not forbidden, but we just use other words.  Now "ass", that would be tacky...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We say butt all the time...last night DD said to me (as I was getting ready to take a bath) I see your butt! and your boob! and your armpit! haha
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageheckysue:
    imageAshleyMichelle06:
    We say butt all the time...last night DD said to me (as I was getting ready to take a bath) I see your butt! and your boob! and your armpit! haha
    I got hot last night and took my shirt off in the middle of the night.  DH let me sleep in a little and when he brough Conall in to say good morning I still had no shirt. He pulled the sheet away while he was hugging me, looked at my boob, and said "uh-oh."  Then pointed and said "ball!"  LOL.
    bahaha...ball.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We say hiney or tushie but "butt" doesn't really bother me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not a huge fan of little kids saying butt, however, its not forbidden in our house. I do prefer MH to use hiney & that's what DS says too. Although on occasion, MH has said butt to DS & he's repeated it...whatever. As long as he's not saying ass, I'm ok with it ;-)
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • Options
    Butt, bum, bottom, bumbum, hiney.  Tookus, rearend,
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    I tell her all the time what a cute butt she has, so no, I'm not opposed to butt.  That is what it is after all.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We say bum, I just like it better. Butt isn't off limits and if she uses butt it won't be a big deal I just don't like it so don't use it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We say butt all the time. 
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options

We say bottom.  For some reason, the word "butt" bothers me.  I don't know why, but I just do not care for it.   I know I am completely weird about this, but I will teach my daughter to say  bottom rather than butt.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We say "bum" but I have no problem with "butt."
  • Options
    I always say "let's go change your butt" when he needs a new diaper. MIL has corrected me a few times but he's my kid and well... a butt is a butt.

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
  • Options

imageheckysue:
    I'm also curious to hear from people who aren't going to let their kids say the word.  Why?  Is it just because it's tacky or something?  What do you use instead?

We aren't going to let the kids say butt.  That's because of me, not DH.  We weren't allowed to say it growing up, just like we couldn't say crap or sucks.  I really do understand that it's not a bad word, but it's honestly somehow ingrained in me that it's not for children.  I can't get past it.  We use bottom, rump, heiney, and in honor or Jewish DH, tuckus (sp?).  

• Options

imageheckysue:
    I'm also curious to hear from people who aren't going to let their kids say the word.  Why?  Is it just because it's tacky or something?  What do you use instead?

We aren't going to let the kids say butt.  That's because of me, not DH.  We weren't allowed to say it growing up, just like we couldn't say crap or sucks.  I really do understand that it's not a bad word, but it's honestly somehow ingrained in me that it's not for children.  I can't get past it.  We use bottom, rump, heiney, and in honor of Jewish DH, tuckus (sp?).  

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    My MIL (God rest her soul) would refer to my nephews as "Devil Child" (horribly appropriate) and "Stinky Butt."  I cannot tell you how much I HATED that.  It wasn't in reference to dirty diapers, just a nickname.  It made me cringe when I heard it.
  • Options
    I'm not opposed to butt, but we usually say bottom. Like, "please sit down on your bottom!"
  • Options
    We usually say "bum" or "tushie" but have nothing against "butt."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't use the word butt but not for any reason. I use bum and coolie. I am not really understanding the word being forbidden though.  But this is the bump.

• Options

I'm giving up swear words (at least around the girls) when the girls are a bit older.

I will not be giving up the word butt.  It is not a swear word and it is not a "bad" word.

Fuckings.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options

We use "hiney" just b/c when we started refering to it we were tellinghim to "sit on his hiney" when going down a slide so it stuck. One word we have worked to replace is "fart". When I was little we were never allowed to say it, my sister and I used to say "squeek", lol. DS can say "toot, toot" when he farts. And yes "toot, toot" was on the very short list of words I gave the pedi @ his 18mo appt.

ETA: but "butt" is not forbidden...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrsChibs:
    My MIL (God rest her soul) would refer to my nephews as "Devil Child" (horribly appropriate) and "Stinky Butt."  I cannot tell you how much I HATED that.  It wasn't in reference to dirty diapers, just a nickname.  It made me cringe when I heard it.

::looks at ticker:: Embarrassed

I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageLibberDuck:
    We normally use "tushie" or "tush", but not because "butt" is forbidden.  And sometimes I will look at his little butt and say "aw, what a cute baby butt!".  So no, it's not forbidden, but we just use other words.  Now "ass", that would be tacky...

This is us too except we also use tuckus :) 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    we say butt.  i see no issue with it at all
  • Options

we say 'lets go change your butt' and SO calls me and LO 'stink butt' (we arnt stinky just a nickname) and i call SO 'fuzz butt' (no explanation needed)

but when refering to her actual body part i say heine...

now thinking about it that is kind of confusing and i dont really want her to call anyone a butt...its going to be intersting trying to get SO to stop calling us stink butts lol

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We use to use 'fanny' but DD started pointing at random peoples butts in the store and yell out FATTY!! We switched to butt shortly after that.
  • Options

imagegoldenleaves:
    I'm not opposed to butt, but we usually say bottom. Like, "please sit down on your bottom!"

This, exactly. Although I have been known to say they have a nasty_ass and let's go change it. And when they were tiny for some reason we started calling a diaper change "getting a new butt."  Haven't called it that in awhile though.  The things you find funny in the depths of sleep deprivation... 

• Options

imageABColeslaw:
    Butt, bum, bottom, bumbum, hiney.  Tookus, rearend,

Yep, we use whatever we feel like at the moment.  All of these and rump, tushie, etc.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"