Military Families
Options

Staying in Pros/Cons List?

I'm usually a lurker! Sooooo...Hello!

My DH has to make the decision to stay in or get out within the year and so we are writing a Pros/Cons list. If you were making the list what would you add? Health Benefits are my number one Pro.

Thanks! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Staying in Pros/Cons List?

• Options
    We have the same decision to make. Health care is definently a plus.  But DH is very unhappy with his unit, MOS, and this post, so all of those would have to change for him to stay in.  Really, it's pretty subjective.  What is right for my family will not necessarily be the best for yours.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagefrostnoel:
    We have the same decision to make. Health care is definently a plus.  But DH is very unhappy with his unit, MOS, and this post, so all of those would have to change for him to stay in.  Really, it's pretty subjective.  What is right for my family will not necessarily be the best for yours.

Totally agree! I guess that's why we want to see what other people would say - maybe there is something I haven't considered that would be someone else's number one pro/con?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Job stability and health benefits are a huge reason my husband and I are still in. Its very hard to find a job that pays this well with the benefits we have where we are from. It all depends on your job prospects when you leave the military.
  • Options

While pros/cons are subjective to the individual, here are things that made both my Father and DH stay in.

1. TRICARE for LIFE - even with the proposed premiums for TFL, the cost savings for this wrap around policy is astronomical.  TFL pays the 20% of what Medicare does not.  20% of geriatric diseases, cancer, dementia, etc.  We are talking $300 vs $30,000 a year depending on the health issues.
    2. TRICARE's Prescription Drug Formular vs Medicare Part D.  Let us be honest people, even with the new $5, 9, $22 for a 30 or 90 day supply, that is much better than expecting people to pay that lovely Donut Hole at once. 
    3. "Pension".  While there is talk about changing the retirment program (every other year there are new proposals), the odds of NOT grandfathering ADSM with 10+ years is slim to non.  My Father was able to earn 2 separate pensions (only one being a ferderal type pension) and DH has the same opportunity.  At the very least, I know that we wont loose our house if DH cannot find a job right away.
    4. Given today's economic and job climate, the prospects of finding a GOOD and STABLE job are not good.  DH is retiring and both DH and I are worried (again, thank god for the "pension").  And since I have been out of work for 4 years (thank you Germany and SOFA), my prospects are slim too.  While you cannot stay in the miitary forever, you can hedge your bets.
    5. The educational aspects while AD (for both the ADSM and Dependent) are worth it.  There is money to be had, both on a DOD and Individual Service level.  Once you are out, the spouse no longer has access to many of the government or philothantric (sp?) funds.  DH was able to get most of his MASTERS without using his GI bill.  That leaves money for our kids or even me.  And I took advantage of some of that government money as well.
    6. Honestly, I love the travel.  Once you are out, it IS harder to travel places.  DH spent most of his career overseas and we are in Germany now.  The opportunities for my children and myself know no bounds.  We just did a weekend trip to Brugges and Ghent Belgium and got to see a statue by Michelangelo and a Castle built in 1100s.  Monkey got to run arond a parapout (sp?).  And even when we were stationed in Langely AFB or Eglin AFB, I had the opportunities to do/see things I had never done (and I grew up traveling) before. 
    7. Though they are closing most CONUS, I LOVE DODEA schools.  This is one of the main reasons why we took the Germany slot.  SS has blossomed in these schools. 

Again, these are the reasons why my Dad and DH choose to stay in and why I supported DH's staying in longer than he needed (he had 20 when we met).  If I could have joined the military I would have FOR THESE VERY REASONS. 

My final thought...you will find pros and cons no matter where you go.  Politics, backstabbing, dumb-@ss supervisors, carpy work stations, etc are everywhere.  I have had bosses SCREAM at me.  I have had clients force me to work crazy long hours only to not appreciate the work I did.  I have had to go to work in blizzard conditions only to work in a building where the heat was out.  This was all civilian. 

So, I never look things that can be found in any/all situations, but the those things that you can ONLY find in the givin place.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    I agree that Pros/Cons are definitely subjective. I am not one of those women who enjoy military life; however, I'm pretty practical. DH has 13 years in, it seems that it wouldn't make sense for him to go on and do 20. For me, that's our number one reason to stay.
  • Options

imageJoie80:
    I agree that Pros/Cons are definitely subjective. I am not one of those women who enjoy military life; however, I'm pretty practical. DH has 13 years in, it seems that it wouldn't make sense for him to go on and do 20. For me, that's our number one reason to stay.

I meant that it wouldn't make sense for him to get out without making the full 20 at this point. How close is YH to retirement? How does his MOS translate over into the civilian world, or does he have a career plan in mind? Job stability and benefits are very important to our family.

• Options

For US, the decision to stay in/get out is more about quality of life.  Several of our friends who've gotten out have gone on to much higher paying jobs, with fewer (or similar) hours, similar benefits, and more choice in terms of where to live.  DH is Navy, and so far we've seen the east coast... Smile  Not that the east coast is bad, but we basically flip flop between Norfolk, VA and Charleston, SC.

We also try to factor in the amount of separation our family will be going through (which I know is always subject to change, but just a general idea is something to consider).  Deployments and workups are the nature of this life.

At this point, he's been in for so long (12 years) that it feels like he might as well retire...though there are days (or months, like the last 5 while he's been deployed) that I wish he'd gotten out after his initial contract was up.

Good luck making the decision!!  It's a tough one, for sure.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with the laundry list provided earlier.  I know from my point of view, it would be rather asinine to pitch 13 years down the drain in the current economical state.  Add in the fact that in 2 and a half years I have a college bound and a toddler...not the brightest thing.  On the "outside" with my education, experience and current rank I would be valued to a civilian company at approx a quarter mil.  However...there is quite a bit that I would lose.  So would my family.  So for me, tough it out 6 more years, drop retirement and get a neato civ job on top of retirement...YUP.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Biggest con: deployments. Nothing is worth missing seeing your little ones grow. Well, that's what we decided anyway. DH is staying in just long enough to get his degree.
  • Options
    DH recently got out, and its been awesome.  He now has a higher paying job with similar benefits, normal work hours, and NO DEPLOYMENTS!  We know its hard to raise kids in the military, and were ready to start a family.  We didn't want to move our family around every few years, and didn't want to deal with saying goodbye over and over again.  It was just the right time for us to leave.  Some days we both miss it like crazy, but then we think how wondeful it is to know that DH will be here for the birth of our first baby and all of the milestones that come along with that.  There are plenty of benefits to military life, but civilian life is a better fit for us personally.  Everyone is different, however.  Don't forget that your DH can always join the reserves if he decides to get out. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"