North Carolina Babies
Options

afraid of public bathrooms...any ideas?

my 2 1/2 yr. old daughter is now afraid of all public bathrooms...it started a few weeks ago at one of the bathrooms at a mall - the hand dryers were super loud and she got freaked out by the automatic flushing and the bathroom was really busy...so now she's afraid and will not go to the bathroom in a public bathroom..

any suggestions?  I am starting to just take her into the bathrooms and let her see that they're not 'scary' (and bribes don't work, I've tried) .  ???

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: afraid of public bathrooms...any ideas?

• Options

Liam is still sketchy on public bathrooms.  Sometimes he's fine, sometimes they weird him out (he's scared of the big toilets).  We keep the trunk potty on hand and head for the car when necessary.

Hopefully it's a short lived phase for L if she wasn't scared of them before. GL! 

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagespreebz:

any suggestions?  I am starting to just take her into the bathrooms and let her see that they're not 'scary' (and bribes don't work, I've tried) .  ???

I think this is a good idea & just keep it up. Hopefully enough exposure will help her get over her fear. Also, maybe try to talk about the difference between loud & scary (although sometimes there's not much difference to a toddler).

J keeps his hands over his ears almost the entire time in a public bathroom b/c they are LOUD between the flushing, hand dryers, people talking, etc. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Only other thing I can add that the PP didn't is to keep a pad of post-it's in your purse. you can cover the automatic flush sensors with it while your DD is on the potty so that it doesn't flush unexpectedly and scare her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejenwill:
    Only other thing I can add that the PP didn't is to keep a pad of post-it's in your purse. you can cover the automatic flush sensors with it while your DD is on the potty so that it doesn't flush unexpectedly and scare her.

That's a good idea!

Natalie is also scared of public bathrooms.  I usually only get her to use them if it's one that doesn't have a lot of people in it and doesn't have automatic flushing.  I don't flush the toilet until she's walked out of the stall and don't dry her hands with the dryers.  It's hit or miss with her still.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    thanks! also good to know she's not the only one!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"