South Florida Babies
Options

Working Mommies-how do you disconnect?

It's been really difficult to disconnect lately.  When I'm with Elise, I focus all of my attention on her.  But as soon as she's down for a nap or after bedtime my mind goes a mile a minute with work-related reflection and ideas.  I am very passionate about what I do and this year I have a dual role-reading coach and Lead teacher.  Basically, I'm in charge of my K-4th building since my principal is running 2 schools.  He is there about hald of the week and I maintain good communication with him, but a lot falls on me and it's stressful because I want to do a good job for the school.  But, at the same time, I dont have the title or the salary of an administrator (but I do have all the credentials and certification).  

I feel torn sometimes because I could be back in the classroom for the same pay and clock out by 3:30 everyday, but I know I wouldnt be satisfied.  I would eventually get bored because I always need a new challenge and this is definitely challenging.  However, I feel like I just cant disconnect lately and I used to have a pretty good balance with that.  I have so many ideas and so many goals for the school that I can't stop thinking about it and,  then, there are the problems I cant fix or the resistance to something new that I cant get someone to overcome.  I guess I see everyone in the building the way I used to see my students. I want to help them and empower them to do their jobs to their full potential, but at the same time it's a lot on my plate.  And, although my principal gave me these responsibilities and I knowingly accepted them as abother baby step to the position I want, I'm reminded by someone or something everyday that I'm not an AP and I dont have the salary to go with it.

I guess my biggest fear is that I'll work my heart out this year and still not get a promotion for the next school year due to "budget issues."  DH has been trying to get me to send my resume to companies because of my business background and management qualities, but it seems like things are even worse in the business world right now and IDK if my heart would even be in it.  

Maybe I just need to pop a bottle of wine after Elise goes to bed every night, lol.

If you got this far in my rant, thanks for reading!

Re: Working Mommies-how do you disconnect?

• Options
    That fact that you are constantly thinking of ways to improve your school, and come up with ways to get through to your children, makes you an amazing teacher in my book.  Hats off to you.  Now, I know it is hard when it is "interfering" with your personal time.  I really don't have any suggestions, but that bottle of wine does sound like a good start.  ; )
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It is hard to juggle it all but it seems you are doing a pretty good job! ;) Unfortunately, there's no easy answer. If being in the teaching world/school administration is what you want (which it seems like it is since you are putting so much effort into what you do) then you will have to keep doing what you are doing. You always run the risk of not getting the raise even when you work your butt off. But at the same time, putting less effort in what you do or changing to something you don't enjoy as much can't be satisfying. A glass of wine in the evenings is not a bad way to disconnect. lol A hobby or pastime to help you keep your mind off of work-related things is always a good thing. I dance ballet 2 times per week and that's my way of disconnecting. It will all fall into place and I really hope you do get that raise. Good luck! ;)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecocojack10:
    That fact that you are constantly thinking of ways to improve your school, and come up with ways to get through to your children, makes you an amazing teacher in my book.  Hats off to you.  Now, I know it is hard when it is "interfering" with your personal time.  I really don't have any suggestions, but that bottle of wine does sound like a good start.  ; )

AGREE!!!!!! :)

~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks for the kind words, ladies! I definitely need to get back to some of my hobbies, like reading and taking walks with Elise to the park.

• Options

It is challenging at times to disconnect from work when at home.  Routines work best for me.  When I get home - dinner, homework, getting ready for school the next, bath time and bed time.  When the kids are in bed - its me time, I workout, or watch my DVRd shows,  shower and then check my work email (= 

It sounds like you are very dedicated to your career.  Reaching your goals takes just that - hard work, dedication and commitment.  Stay positive and keep pushing on.  Even if you are not offered a promotion - you have some experience under your belt which gives you bragging rights. 

• Options

This!

and seriously, ditto on the wine.

I'll have some with you! 

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options
    I work 60 hours a week right now, the only way for me to disconnect is through tons and tons of television and mind altering substances like booze :)
  • Options

Why are you working so many hours, Jenny?  Is it all at the school?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"