Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Worst well check yet.

I feel like I post the exact same thing every three months. 

Big surprise, Betsy is too small.  I was actually pleased with her gain at first--at 16.8 lbs she's up nearly a pound and a half from 12m.  But the doctor was not happy.  Unfortunately it was a new doctor and he was AWFUL.  He made me feel like shiit. 

1.  He basically told me that it doesn't matter that I'm so petite because "the role of genetics is exaggerated." 

2.  When he found out she's in daycare, he said "out of sight, out of mind" and told me to make sure her teachers were feeding her properly because, you know, as a working mom I would never think to actually ask my child's teachers how she eats every day!  I told him her teachers are a) wonderful and b) well aware of her size issues and c) report to me every single day about exactly what and how much she ate.  He said to make sure daycare is feeding her high calorie foods and I informed him that I pack her lunch every day, and trust me, she gets high-calorie, high-fat, well-rounded meals.  He said, well, maybe you need to up her calories.  I told him I've done everything I can to up her damn calories.  I told him that for lunch today I packed her a good sized portion of dark meat chicken for the extra fat content, organic mac and cheese, and broccoli and cheese.  How do you increase calories on that meal? 

3.  It was Betsy's lunchtime while we were there so of course she got hungry.  I gave her a snack before he came in and she seemed satisfied, but threw a fit while he was in there.  He got judgy about that.  Finally she pulled some crackers out of my purse and started eating them and was fine.  So he goes on and on about how "it looks like mom is the last to know when you're hungry!"

Needless to say, I cried.

In the end, he agreed that I'm feediing her good meals and the only change he could suggest was switching from WCM to Pediasure.  So we'll be giving that a try.

I was finally feeling okay with her size because she is proportionate, she's very bright, and she's hitting all of her milestones.  So now I get to worry some more.  We'll go back in a month for yet another weight check.

tl;dr

Re: Worst well check yet.

• Options

What a d!ck!

Are you going back to see him or are going to try to get another doctor?  Nobody deserves to be treated like that. 

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Options
    If she is hitting her milestones and she is staying on HER growth chart (not what they think it should be) then why is he being a douche? 'cause that's what he is, a douche.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsLacy:

What a d!ck!

Are you going back to see him or are going to try to get another doctor?  Nobody deserves to be treated like that. 

I adore the other doctors in the practice, so I won't be switching.  But I will make sure we never see this guy again.

• Options

What an ass.  Sorry you had to go through that.  Like you said, she is developing fine - she's just a peanut. 

Maybe you could give her sippy cups of melted ice cream?  ;)

• Options

Oh Scout!! I'm SO sorry that doc made you cry! We all know you've been working so hard to up Betsy's calories.  Like you said, she's still hitting all her milestones and she's a bright little girl.

I hope the switch to pedisure helps her weight gain some! (hugs)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

(((hugs)))

Wow, that doctor sounds like piece of work. I'm so sorry the appointment went badly.

If a bunch of people who don't know you IRL know what a wonderful mother you are to B, then that doctor is the one with the problem.

I hope you at least get to see B's regular doctor when you go back next month. The last thing you need is a judgy person who's unfamiliar with your situation to look down on you and make you feel bad.

"To me, you are perfect."

• Options
    I want to throat punch him.

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Dude what a d*ck.  Seriously...whatafuckingdick. 
    Sawyer Quinn (09/06/06), Rory Keaton (04/07/08) and Kinsley Saffron (10/12/10). Forever and ever my babies they'll be. A rose can say "I love you",orchids can enthrall,but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist,yes, that says it all.~Author Unknown
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    What a jackhole. Sorry, Scout. :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nice doc, hope you never have to see him again.
  • Options

Oh, and I hope he gets a case of the worst diarrhea of his life while he's stuck in traffic for 2 hours and gets 2 flat tires on top of that.

Sawyer Quinn (09/06/06), Rory Keaton (04/07/08) and Kinsley Saffron (10/12/10). Forever and ever my babies they'll be. A rose can say "I love you",orchids can enthrall,but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist,yes, that says it all.~Author Unknown
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageJ+MS:
    If she is hitting her milestones and she is staying on HER growth chart (not what they think it should be) then why is he being a douche? 'cause that's what he is, a douche.

No idea.  There was a dip on her curve at 12m (which I really think was due to her walking) so they wanted a weight check at 13m.  They were satisfied with her growth then, and she's grown even more since.  Her curve is low--less than third percentile--but it's definitely there.

• Options
    imageheckysue:

What an @$$.  I would complain.  This makes me angry.  Really angry.

I'm so sorry.  Other than being small, is there anything else of concern?  Because I just don't see why he would be such a jerk about an otherwise-healthy child who happens to be small, especially when mom is petite.

Obviously you're keeping an eye and doing all you can for her.  Until she gives you a reason, don't be so hard on yourself.  There is a very good chance she's just small.

I'm still so mad at that doctor for you.  I want to kick him in the junk.

Nope.  Her iron was low at 12m but much better this time.  Normal, in fact.

• Options
    I'm sorry the dr was such a d!ckwad. Maybe the Pediasure will help B pack on the lbs.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imagescoutkate:

imageJ+MS:

No idea.  There was a dip on her curve at 12m (which I really think was due to her walking) so they wanted a weight check at 13m.  They were satisfied with her growth then, and she's grown even more since.  Her curve is low--less than third percentile--but it's definitely there.

I agree with you, Izzy dropped down a notch when she became mobile. Try not to let Dr.douche get to you and let your regular pedi know of this.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options

Thanks, everyone.  LOL about the doctor getting diarrhea!

• Options

1st that guy is a jerk.

2nd genetics don't play that big of a role? Um then what does - a magic lottery?

Don't let him make you feel bad!

• Options
    That doctor sounds like an azz.  You are doing everything you possibly can for her and you are a great mom.  I'm sorry that he made you cry.  Nobody deserves that, especially someone who is doing/trying as much as you.
    My Blog: http://krate24.blogspot.com/ Heather Ann, born still on Jan. 26, 2009 at 27w2d. <a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa361/krate24/?action=view
  • Options

New Dr- STAT.

Seriously. WHAT A MORON. And as the mother of two small children, let me tell you, kids are only as big or small as they're meant to be. My DD was 18 lbs at 18 months. But perfectly healthy. She's 6 years old now and 39 lbs. Tall and super skinny. But perfectly healthy. My son is almost 4 and is 31 lbs. Healthy!

The dumbest thing ever invented was the percentage chart for babies. It makes parents (and DRs) totally crazy! The thing with it is that not all kids can be "average". That's why it's called "average"- because it's in the middle! Some HAVE to be bigger and some HAVE to be smaller. And being on one end or the other doesnt necessarily mean there's something wrong.

Of course having small parents plays a roll in a child's size! Smaller than average parents are more likely to have smaller than average sized kids. Larger than average parents are more likely to have larger than average sized kids. That's how it works, just like eye color, hair color and skin color. 

I would do more than just leave this Dr, I would call the office and tell them that you are extremely insulted by the Drs disparaging remarks both about your abilities as a mother, your daughters body, and your choices about working. Perhaps even a letter to the State Medical Board? I'm not normally on the "GET'EM" train, but seriously, what you describe is abusive. 

• Options
    imagescoutkate:

1.  He basically told me that it doesn't matter that I'm so petite because "the role of genetics is exaggerated." 

2.  When he found out she's in daycare, he said "out of sight, out of mind" ... 

3.  So he goes on and on about how "it looks like mom is the last to know when you're hungry!"

I was finally feeling okay with her size because she is proportionate, she's very bright, and she's hitting all of her milestones.  So now I get to worry some more.  We'll go back in a month for yet another weight check.

1. Made me think the guy was a quack. 

2. Made me think the guy was Mr. Judgey O'Tool. Does he really think working moms go through their day without a thought as to what their kids eat at daycare???

3. Made me want to punch him in the face. Way, way, WAY out of line.

If your LO IS gaining, even in small spurts, and she's meeting all of her milestones, what the heck does he want from you??? Next time, take a funnel with you so he can show you how to shovel food down her throat if it will make the douchebag happy.

imageimage 
    TTC #2: My chart
  • Options

Semi de-lurking to say that doctor is an a$$.  Also a friend's DD fell off her weight curve and had good luck on Pediasure.  

I've dealt with a few jerk pedis.  It really sucks. 

• Options
    imageKLMFBP3:

Oh, and I hope he gets a case of the worst diarrhea of his life while he's stuck in traffic for 2 hours and gets 2 flat tires on top of that.

Remind me not to get on your bad side.

Scout I'm sorry the doc was like that. FWIW Betsy is so adorable and that doctor is out of his mind.

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

You mean you haven't tried the fois gras feeding method yet?

All seriousness, she's thriving, she's gaining on her own terms. And I would certainly let the office staff know why I would never, ever see that doctor again.

• Options
    he's a tool- ignore him. betsy is tiny because you're tiny- i'm a firm believer.
  • Options

I would have stabbed him. 

Sounds like you are doing all you can for LO. I would get a second opinion this guy is a doucher.  

**~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• Options

Thanks again, y'all. 

This old douche is semi-retired and only works one day a week, so it should be easy to avoid him, at least for B's well visits.  And I made sure we're seeing a different doctor for her weight check next month. 

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Ugh. Sorry you had to deal with that! Ignore him and just keep doing what you are doing. You are doing a great job!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like she is doing great and that doc is just a jackkass. 1.5 lbs is decent gain for 2-3 months, and genetics is NOT overrated, its what makes us look the way we do, including size. I would take a close look at his license and make sure he didn't get it the same place as the no PNV H.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Options
    I don't post much anymore but I wanted to say I'm sorry and clearly you sound like you're doing everything right. What a douche. Oh, and Betsy is beautiful!
  • Options
    What an A**. I would make a point to make sure you never get him again and tell whoever you can about what a jerk he was and why you refuse to see him.

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• Options
    imageKLMFBP3:

I second this.

• Options
    oh Scout, that is awful that he treated you like that. I would be in the market for a new DR stat! He has NO right to talk to you like that. NO RIGHT. I dont even know what to say right now I am so upset for you.
  • Options
    What an insensitive jerk with not a speck of bedside manner.  I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.  I hope the pediasure works!
  • Options
    I am so sorry that the Dr. was such a jerk to you.  It seems really uncalled for.  Since it sounds like you like the rest of the Drs. in the practice, I would definitely call and request that B is never scheduled with that specific Dr. again. 
  • Options

It seems you're doing everything you can to help her gain weight, he had no right to be so rude and make you feel so horrible. What a complete a**. I disagree on his whole "genetics is exaggerated." I hope you don't worry yourself too much! Creepy internet hugs :)

• Options

That would be the last time I saw that Dr., in fact can you make another appt. with your regular one to talk about these issues?

I'm sorry for bad news.

• Options

I haven't even read all the responses yet but this whole situation pisses me off.

I'm failing to understand with the child obesity problem we have in this country how so many parents are faced with trying to fatten up smaller children.  Why can't they just be small?

And I say this as another one with a child the same size as your child.  I'm not giving my child toddler formula or pediasure.  She is healthy and I'll find another doctor if it comes to suggesting I overfeed my child just to get her to a weight suitable for some chart.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"