TTC after 35
Options

Good Visit w/Dr Chen

Finally DH and I had our first consult with Dr. Chen at IRMS St. Barnabas today.  All the positive feedback I got about her from her patients here was right on.  She is kind, supportive, gentle and treated us with dignity and respect.  She carefully spelled out what our options are, basically saying that being 40 somethings doesn't work in our favor but not to give up hope. 

The only disappointment was that the finance rep was not available to meet with us, but we expect her call in the next day or two.  In the meantime, Dr. Chen asked me to get a mammogram since my last one was 2 years ago and to give her the results of the pap smear I get tomorrow with my OB/GYN.

This afternoon I was on the phone with my insurance company to find out coverage for IVF and it's great.  the only catch is that the IVF coverage expires when I turn 45 this November. So if we're going ahead with IVF we have to get moving now!  Then I called my prescription plan to find out how much of the fertility drugs (injections) would be covered.  Since I forgot to ask Dr. Chen for the names of the drugs, the insurance company will contact her to get that info then determine how much will be covered.

It was a relief to leave the office in a positive mood, but I'm still emotionally fragile about this -- the cost, the odds stacked against us due to our ages, mine especially.  DH didn't complain once!  So he feels, as I do, that we were treated well by a infertility team that cares about their patients.

I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again for all the good vibes!

Re: Good Visit w/Dr Chen

• Options
    That sounds like a great place for you! Glad your visit went so well!
    ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    That is great news.  Glad to hear you had such a warm feeling leaving there.  Here's hoping you can start the protocol ASAP and have a BFP before you are OOP after your bday.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so glad that your appointment went well & that you like the new doctor.  Going through IF treatment is stressful enough & having a good, caring doctor is a must!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just want to wish you good luck, but also to let you know that you are in great hands with IRMS. I did 2 IVF's with them and can't say enough good things about them.  
  • Options
    Your visit really sounds great....makes me wish I lived in NJ.  So glad your insurance is in good shape and that hopefully you will be able to get started quickly.  Good luck, keep us posted!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    Sounds like a great appointment! I hope you can get in for your mammogram asap and get started on the treatments to take advantage of your IVF coverage. Best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"