San Diego Babies
Options

Natural birth in San Diego

Anyone have experience with the midwives at UCSD, Best Start Birth Center, or a homebirth midwife? I would love to hear about your experiences, good and bad.

Re: Natural birth in San Diego

• Options

loved best start. only complaint was their wait time for appointments so book first a.m. appts if you can. here's a link to my birth story :)

https://simmworksfamily.blogspot.com/2010/12/molly-claire-birth-story.html

Married 6-30-07, BFP 9-1-07, M/C & D&C 10-5-07, BFP #2 6-20-08, BFP #3 3-28-2010 Mommy to Ethan born 2-22-09 7lbs 13.5oz & 21" long SAL Buddy to March04b2b imageFamily Blog|Food Blog
  • Options

I delivered at UCSD.  I went with midwives there the whole way but ended up having to be induced, not being able to use their birth center & ended up having a c-section.  So, I can't say much about the birth center but the midwives were great!  I love all the women that regularly work at the Perlman location (La Jolla) & the other couple that I had in the hospital were amazing, too.  I would highly reccomend them to anyone!  In fact, I am going with them again for this LO.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am planning on giving birth at the UCSD birth center, and am getting my prenatal care from the midwives. I'm also taking most of my prenatal classes there. This is my first child, so I can only speak for my experience so far. I feel very happy about everyone I have worked with so far overall. People are very much in line with my own philosophy and I feel  very comfortable with the quality of care.

I did have one bad experience at my last appointment when I head one of the midwives complaining about another patient, and it made me very uncomfortable. But I think that may have been a personality thing with a midwife who is, overall, a great care provider, mixed with the fact that I was feeling hormonal/emotional that day.

• Options

I went through UCSD Midwives (the hillcrest location), and delivered in the Labor & Delivery at UCSD hospital (the birthing center was actually full the night I delivered, which is really rare) last summer. I still had a midwife attend/deliver. They were very conscientious of the fact that I was a birth center patient, offered doula services, a shower, almost everything they would have done in the birth center. They even offered to switch me to the birth center as soon as a room became available, but I was comfortable in L&D since I still had the midwife and not an ob/gyn or physician.

I would definitely recommend the midwives at UCSD. The midwives waiting room/offices may not be the best looking compared to a 'nice' ob/gyn, but the midwives are top-notch.

UCSD also has a 'meet the midwives' event (the next one looks like it's July 25th) which is a good event to go to if you want to get a feel for the midwives or if you have questions.

T + G | 6.21.2008 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is not exactly what you were asking but I had a natural childbirth at Sharp Mary Birch and had a great experience!!  No pressure to have meds, the L& D nurse worked with me so I never had to be in the bed and only had intermittent monitoring.  
  • Options
    I am currently with an OB at UCSD but am strongly leaning toward switching to the midwives and birth center. I was wondering from any of the women who have gotten there care from there if you pick one midwife and, if so, if you have any recommendations, otherwise, if it's the whole team, do I just make my initial appt with any one of them? I am planning to attend the next Meet the Midwives event on Nov. 28 so will likely have all my questions answered there, but was hoping maybe someone on this board could help me out first!  Thank you!
  • Options

imagekateness17:
    I am currently with an OB at UCSD but am strongly leaning toward switching to the midwives and birth center. I was wondering from any of the women who have gotten there care from there if you pick one midwife and, if so, if you have any recommendations, otherwise, if it's the whole team, do I just make my initial appt with any one of them? I am planning to attend the next Meet the Midwives event on Nov. 28 so will likely have all my questions answered there, but was hoping maybe someone on this board could help me out first!  Thank you!

No, you do not pick one MW, you rotate between them all.  And, each MW works at 1 primarary location & does a rotation through the hospital.  So there are more MWs that you have a chance of delivering your LO than just the ones you see for all your prenatal care.  That's why the Meet the MWs is such a good thing to go to, ALL of the MWs are there, they all talk & you can get a sense of what they are all about. 

When I had DS, I never saw any of my regular MWs at the hospital but the ones I saw were GREAT!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"