August 2011 Moms
Options

What are the worst names you've heard?

Here's the worst one I've heard...

My BIL is a pediatric ICU dr, and he had a patient once who's name was La-sha.

So he was talking to the parents, and saying "Lasha" when referring to her, and the mom corrected him and said, no, it's "La DASH sha". 

The hyphen was part of the name to be pronounced as "dash".

So there you go -

La-sha is pronounced as La-dash-sha.  

What's the worst name you've heard? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What are the worst names you've heard?

• Options

I'm a nurse and had a patient born last year that the mother named

Her-majesty Mylove Destiny *last name*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    my mom works at a preschool where there was a Revelation (or Rev for short). I know she's mentioned other good ones, but I can't think of them right now!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Majesty, Royal, Prince, Princess (all first names) I taught in the Bronx NY. 

Sexy as a legal middle name for a kindergartener at the time.

I swear, some people shouldn't have kids or 5 let alone be allowed to name them which lasts their lifetime. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options

The la-sha thing is an urband legend. I think EVERYONE knows someone who knows someone who had a student/patient/client with that name.

I know someone with a McCain and a Jaxton. The funny thing about McCain is that they named him after John McCain. Then when she found out there were other Jaxtons in our town, she was all pissed because they "stole her name"

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options

Alexus Mercedes Ford

I guess her parents liked cars? :)

• Options

IRL? Life. That's the little girl's first name. For a little boy, Amillion.

The worst name EVER can be credited to Freakonomics -- a mother meant to name her daughter Temperance but ended up naming her Temptress instead.

• Options
    imagenhinze01:

Shut the front door that is not for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surprise Oh my gosh thats awful

• Options
    imagejessicaclare:

The la-sha thing is an urband legend. I think EVERYONE knows someone who knows someone who had a student/patient/client with that name.

I know someone with a McCain and a Jaxton. The funny thing about McCain is that they named him after John McCain. Then when she found out there were other Jaxtons in our town, she was all pissed because they "stole her name"

Maybe the urban legend inspired this mom, cause my BIL did not make this up. It was the first time I'd heard it though! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Imunique- A girl's name. It seems like girls always get the worst of it.
  • Options
    My SIL was talking last night about one of her teachers who's last name is DiBona, who had a baby and named him Richard... so her child is now Richard DiBona (*** de Boner haha). 
  • Options
    imagelaurenharrison:
    imagenhinze01:

Unfortuantely true!  The sad part is that the mom just wanted to name her Destiny, but Grandma pushed for Her-Majesty and finally mom gave in!

Shut the front door that is not for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surprise Oh my gosh thats awful

• Options
    imagejessicaclare:

yep. same with lemonjello and orangejello.

My stepmom had a baby named Chanda Leer when she was in nursing school. I went to HS with twins named Hope and Happy. But most of the really bad names, come from here: Maddenlynn, Krymsyn Jayde, Braxton, and that's not even touching on the "well, the names ok, but it's too bad mom can't spell" phenomenon. 

• Options

I work in a residency program that serves under-insured/welfare patients so I could do this all day!!!  Some of my favorites....

Armani Cashmere

Cinderella(she is in her 40's and goes by Cindi but her parents cursed her because she is UGLY!!!  I mean U-G-L-Y ugly!!)

• Options
    LJR 84LJR 84 member

I hate the name "Addison." It makes me cringe!

Same goes for all of the "lynn" names.

• Options
    I really don't like names like Angel and Destiny, I saw those a lot when I worked at a daycare.  I also REALLY don't like the name Sebastian! It is a total demonic/evil name for a kid.  I went to beauty school with a women and she was a "witch", (that's what she called her herself), and named her child Sebastian, she thought he was chosen? I don't really get it, but it freaked me out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLJR 84:

Same goes for all of the "lynn" names.

Me too -- same with anything -ley -lee -lie for girls. -den for boys. They're like mix and match names... Put any thing on the front of -lie or -den and it's an instant baby name! They're not the worst names I've ever heard, they're just kind of redundant.

• Options

H came home and said an old man friend of his uncle's came into work and told him we should name our son Lance. Lance? The worst part, our last name is long and as a kid H's friends always called him Boner (the beginning of our last name sorta sounds like boner if you are a child - or child minded. lol). Yeah, charming, I know. A few people still call him that and there were all sorts of Little Boner jokes when we found out we are having a boy. So Lance Boner anyone? I think not.

Not an acutal person but the name is scary to me.

Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How about this one: Harleaux! As if Harlow  isn't unique (and copying Nicole Ritchie) enough, they actually made up a new spelling to make it look French! Yuck.
  • Options

I am a camp leader for inner city kids so I am in the same boat as some of you girls.  The oddest name I think I heard was I had a young boy in my camp named Ocean and another named Rylan (boy) the best was that Ocean's sisters name is Ariel.  Not a strange name but really....Ariel and Ocean?  Are we a disney movie?

• Options

I went to high school with a girl named M'Leria.  Pretty looking, I guess, but definitely sounds like malaria.

Also know a girl named Terra Land.  Don't know her mn.  Seemed redundant to me. 

I know I lot of people love it, but the popular name that makes me cringe right now is Neveah.  How diputs. 

• Options
    Nothing I can think of that really stands out but I am SO not a fan of people giving their child a name from a language/culture that is not their own. Maybe I'm just really old-school, but I just want my child's name to reflect their background. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I really really hate McKinley.  Terrible!!  Hopefully no one is picking it on this board.  I've only seen on on the bump.
  • Options
    One of my co-workers has a sister who works in the NICU at the same hospital we do. About a year ago a woman named her twins (boy and girl) Mo Money and Dolla Billz... no joke... I guess this mom was on drugs when she delivered and probably won't ever have custody of her children ( I guess this was her 11th pregnancy, and had custody of none of her kids). Hopefully someday these babies will be adopted by someone who will be able to legally change their names.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagefuturemrsmcnichols:
    One of my co-workers has a sister who works in the NICU at the same hospital we do. About a year ago a woman named her twins (boy and girl) Mo Money and Dolla Billz... no joke... I guess this mom was on drugs when she delivered and probably won't ever have custody of her children ( I guess this was her 11th pregnancy, and had custody of none of her kids). Hopefully someday these babies will be adopted by someone who will be able to legally change their names.

Oh gosh.  That is just about the saddest thing I've ever heard.  I'll agree that hopefully someone will adopt and change those names. 

• Options
    imagequietvoice:

I went to high school with a girl named M'Leria.  Pretty looking, I guess, but definitely sounds like malaria.

Also know a girl named Terra Land.  Don't know her mn.  Seemed redundant to me. 

I know I lot of people love it, but the popular name that makes me cringe right now is Neveah.  How diputs. 

Maybe it's Firma? LOL Stick out tongue

I had a psych 101 with a girl named Secretia (pronounced Secree-sha). Not sure what her parents were going for, but it sounds too much like "secretion."

My ex went to high school with a girl named Latrina. Mom must not have thought about what a latrine is before picking out what is an otherwise pretty name.

Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

where to start? i work with juvenile delinquents & we get plenty of "umm how do you even pronounce that" names. but none that i can really recall at the moment they're mainly just made up names with random i, e, y's tossed in there....does seem like girls get it worse than boys.

i have a little cousin named "Heavenly Joy" they call her "Heavy" for shortTongue Tied

saw on facebook a little girl named Oshyn (ocean?) & another named Ja'Cerie (again, how do u even pronounce that?) and another named Mai'joi (my joy)

had the cutest lil girl come in to work the other day and her name was Turquoise...yup like the color.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My dad loves that show The Middle and texted me last week saying we should name the baby "Brick".  I calmly replied have you been drinking????

More troubling is not only is the name ridiculous IMO, my married name is this awful long Polish concoction that ends in czyk(pronounced 'zik')!

• Options

a friend of mine had a student this year named "baby girl lastname." apparently they couldnt decide at the hospital and then (presumably) couldnt afford to have it changed after the fact so they just call her "ashanti." 

my bff has a cousin who named his daughters after his favorite alcohols: Alize and Tanqueray.

same bff was also at the doctor when the nurse called out for "shady nasty" and a large woman steps up and says, "MY NAME IS PRONOUNCED Sh'Dynasty!"

someone on another board was talking about baby names and she listed our son's name as the worst name she has ever heard. at first i was caught off guard because i think the name is fairly benign but it didnt hurt my feelings because she is a twat anyway and always says hateful things to people on the boards, lol.  

imageimage
  • Options
    Well, it was pronounced "Ab-see-dah," but it was spelled Abcde.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    oh! and there was also a teller at my bank named "Areola." Ugh. 
    imageimage
  • Options

Sterling.

Lemonjello.. pronounced LEm-on-JE-llo.. with a strong E and super long O in the first part of his name.. Actually a legitimate patient that my MIL had.

The typical.. Mercedes, Lexus, Porscha

Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options
    imageMrs Case:

someone on another board was talking about baby names and she listed our son's name as the worst name she has ever heard. at first i was caught off guard because i think the name is fairly benign but it didnt hurt my feelings because she is a twat anyway and always says hateful things to people on the boards, lol.  

LOL there's a short list of folks in my head that I just know when I see they've responded to something, they've found a way to be hateful and wrap it up in a package of honesty or whatever.  Now you've got me curious what your son's name is, though.  ha 

• Options

imagesapphirewolfkdv:
    Well, it was pronounced "Ab-see-dah," but it was spelled Abcde.

Along the same lines, this may be "urban legend" but a friend of mine supposedly had a student named Qwerty.

• Options

A friend was working at a school as a summer school secretary to fill in for the one lady off for a while and she had to call a mother to report that her son was truant that day...she said, "Ms. So and So, I wanted to notify you that Shithead (pronounced like it looks) was absent from school today."  The mother replied, "Excuse me?  His name is Sha-Tead" (but, it's spelled Shithead and pronounced Sha-Tead)...hmmmm....

I'd rather deal with people pronouncing my child's name Caden (although it's Cad-den----grandmother's maiden name) than deal with having them think it's a curse or private part!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    MY mom and MIL both hate the name we picked for our son's first name. (they don't argue with Bileyeu b/c it's a family name) but anyways, so I'm always getting suggestions from them both. My MIL texted me the other day to tell me she heard a name at her job that she thinks would be great, and how she is just really concerned that our son will get teased with a name like Anslowe... her great name? ARROW! uh huh... like that isn't gunna get a middle schooler teased..Confused
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My SIL is a postpardum nurse and she had a couple who didn't speak English name their daughter Chlamydia. No joke. She had a translator explain to them what the word meant but they still stuck with the name. They said they heard a doctor say it and they thought it was pretty...
  • Options
    imagekjuryfl:

Sterling.

Lemonjello.. pronounced LEm-on-JE-llo.. with a strong E and super long O in the first part of his name.. Actually a legitimate patient that my MIL had.

Haha! I actually like Sterling. It's an old name.
  • Options
    imagekjuryfl:

Sterling.

Hey, hey, hey now! My 3 year old sons name is Sterling! I did not name him because he is adopted, but still...

• Options
    imagedanni914:

My dad loves that show The Middle and texted me last week saying we should name the baby "Brick".  I calmly replied have you been drinking????

Had I been a boy my father wanted to name me either Brick or Cash, and that was way back in 1971.  Also, because my parents assumed I would be a boy they didn't have a girl's name picked out so I went home as Baby Girl Barton.  Thankfully, they finally settled on an actual name.

The worst name I've ever come across is Richard Ceman but he goes by the nickname D*ck.  So, "hi, I'm D*ck Ceman" is something he has been saying his entire life.  I just don't get it.

I know another family with the last name of Case and they considered naming their son Justin - Justin Case - Just in Case - but then decided against it thank goodness.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options

imageitsmevkb:
    I know another family with the last name of Case and they considered naming their son Justin - Justin Case - Just in Case - but then decided against it thank goodness.

one of my HS friends is a Case, and her DH used to joke about naming their future son Justin because of the "Just In Case" thing. Luckily, he was totally joking.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"