Natural Birth
Options

Advise for posterior baby?

After several episodes of false labor, and severe back pain that doesn't subside between contractions, I believe that I may have a posterior baby. This is making me a bit nervous about delivery. I have my heart set on a natural birth, but I also need to have some time between contractions to re-group. Does anyone have any ideas on flipping a posterior baby or some ideas for easing delivery?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advise for posterior baby?

• Options
    Have you checked out spinningbabies.com?
  • Options

when was your last appt?  did your provider say that baby is posterior? 

back pain does not always equal a posterior baby.  if you look back at some older posts this question has been brought up before and you can read our responses.  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

spend lots of time on your hands and knees doing cat/cows

make sure you aren't sitting on the couch, sit in tailor position with your hips above your knees. Make sure when you are in the car your knees are below your hips.

GL! Posterior babies are totally doable

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    I didn't realize my son was posterior until I was in active labor, and actually my midwife didn't confirm it for me until after he was born.  But I just wanted to reassure you not to be discouraged that you won't be able to make it through a natural birth.  It's rough, no doubt, and I didn't know anything different, but you can do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I had a home waterbirth with OP baby and survived.  You can do it naturally!

Actually, because baby was OP my contractions never got closer than 3-5 minutes apart.  I was able to sit back and almost fall asleep between pushes.

I second spinningbabies.com .  Also, remember that a baby can flip at the last minute.  My baby was anterior until right before I went into labor.  She flipped posterior at the last minute.

• Options
    I delivered naturally, at home, a posterior baby.  He was not posterior in any of his u/s.  I've also heard that the baby's position can change when the water breaks.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The belly lift or as Gail Tully from spinning babies calls it the Abdominal Lift and Tuck. WHen you are having a contraction interlace your fingers together and gently lift. This helps the baby move so that the back of baby's head (the occiput) puts pressure on the cervix.  While you are doing this imagine your baby moving to an anterior position. If it's comfortable you can also do this in between contractions too. Between the hands and knees position and the belly lift this is the most effective at changing baby's position....and by doing this it will SHORTEN your labor too! Win Win!
    SAHM of fabulous twin girls, a Hypnobabies intact son, wife to my high school sweetheart. Birth junky and Childbirth Educator. Trying to stay present in the moment in a very busy life!
  • Options

No advice, but some encourgement. Both mine were posterior. I found out with my son during pushing and I knew all along with my daughter. I did have back labor with both, but being on my hands and knees (with ds) and counterpressure (with dd) helped tons.

The only effective pushing position for me was on propped up on the bed, knees in elbows and up to my ears so I could curl around the baby and get them under my pubic bone. Pushing time for both was about 20 minutes and I did get a 2nd degree tear.

***DS 10/15/08 *** DD 08/03/10****
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"