Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

what do you think about white privilege?

Re: what do you think about white privilege?

• Options
    imagelaw8296:

A few thoughts:

1. I totally think we should have a national language of English; however, when it comes to "forcing" people to speak English- not sure that would be a good thing. I think it would be implied that "we" speak English in America if "we" would embrace a national language.  Why the heck we haven't done this yet- baffles me. 

2. "white privilege"- in my own experience, I do not feel this exists in my immediate community- or at least I'm not enjoying any privilege.  I almost feel the opposite that I constantly have minority issues advertised and "pushed."  I've often said thought- what would happen if a television network was called W.E.T.- White Entertainment Television- just as B.E.T. exists; this would never happen because people would get sued.  I've heard the argument that BET is in existence because "every other" channel on T.V. is white----um, what??  I've surfed the television channels for years now and see black people and other nationalities/ethnicities on many, if not all of the other channels.  (now this may have changed within the past 3 decades or so- but puh-lease.)

In no way am I racist; I have close friends of different ethinicities and "family" members of different ethnicities.  Thankfully I can freely discuss these thoughts with them and sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. 

I'm confused about what you mean by this - can you elaborate?

Also, with the BET thing - having a few minority actors on a couple NBC/FOX/ABC/CBS shows does not mean that these networks are diverse.  Most major networks are essentially "white networks" and are not geared towards minorities. 

• Options
    imageyankeebaby2:

imageDreamsicle23:
    I think it exists, but not because everyone is a bunch of racists.  I don't really know how to articulate my theory in a way that won't get me flamed to death.

It's not about everyone being racist.  It's about you enjoying certain advanatges because you are white.  For instance, you probably don't worry too much about being shot in your neighborhood and you probably don't get pulled over for fitting the profile and you probably didn't have to join a gang growing up just to survive. 

Actually, I live in a small town that is generally quieter than suburbs of larger cities and even here we have had lots happen from time to time. My brother has been stopped while walking home from work many times even as a kid in Junior high or high school. And let me tell you he is barely 5 ft 6 in hardly a threating looking guy. Used to get picked on in school when we were little so much. Even as we grew up pretty poor in many ways we saw somethings I would never want my DD to experience or my nephews or nieces.

I am white and speak english however I try other languages when I have an interest in them. (dislike when my mom learned spanish, knows german and speaks english and has a college degree, and for a basic level receptionist was told flat out she hadn't spoke Spanish longer than someone else so she was not hired.) So we see things the opposite in many parts of the US. My brother was denied unemployment after a layoff and a couple of other times not his fault, as was my boyfriend, and yet buddies of ours in the same situation got theres and the  buddy was not white or partial.

Another family I knew has a mother from Germany, made a citizen by marriage and other steps all legal, yet her daughter who's sperm donor of a dad refused to acknowledge her untill the DNA proved it. Then to spite them he would never allow enough family info to protect his daughter to get her official papers after being born in America or Germany military base via her mom marrying another soldier who she was in love. So some punk who just happen to go out of the US had a daughter and then instead of her Green Card since at 21 you have to choose in the US. She is American all the way and yet was forced to even fight the possiblity of being deported when she should of never had to fight the battle.

Do I think that immigration needs an overhaul Yes, to protect some and help many of us, citizens or otherwise.

-Edit as well I think the state and federal systems need overhauled. Look at the Social Security and it many changes, as well as other systems like welfare or unemployment. Those that have never paid in and sometimes seem many advatages that anyone else who has worked may never see. 

And my family and friends are all over, and have never let me stop from loving them or the company they share.

Many of my family members including myself have been in other countries and yet, I agree with for the safety of all in many terms that English should of been made "Official language, years ago" in this country though wasn't it just a couple votes shy of being German? Having many lauguages available for information is great though but if each sign was made like Stop signs and in various languages I would get lost or fear hurting someone. My mother and I have both gone to school in an agri community and found that when it comes to speaking and going to school that it seemed like more of a challenge for our friends that were taught only one launguage untill they went to school and then had to work with English as a Second Language classes when their parents could speak both. It was something I have yet to understand why they wouldn't of learned both as a benefit to growning up. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelaw8296:

A few thoughts:

1. I totally think we should have a national language of English; however, when it comes to "forcing" people to speak English- not sure that would be a good thing. I think it would be implied that "we" speak English in America if "we" would embrace a national language.  Why the heck we haven't done this yet- baffles me. 

Yes because if we don't I fear that the english language will disappear

2. "white privilege"- in my own experience, I do not feel this exists in my immediate community- or at least I'm not enjoying any privilege.  I almost feel the opposite that I constantly have minority issues advertised and "pushed."  I've often said thought- what would happen if a television network was called W.E.T.- White Entertainment Television- just as B.E.T. exists; this would never happen because people would get sued.  I've heard the argument that BET is in existence because "every other" channel on T.V. is white----um, what??  I've surfed the television channels for years now and see black people and other nationalities/ethnicities on many, if not all of the other channels.  (now this may have changed within the past 3 decades or so- but puh-lease.)

yes, my friend, you are completely being oppressed by BET,lol.  And WET does exist.  It's called every other channel in the line up. It's called Yes, Dear and King Of Queens and Seinfeld and every other show that's on TV that is predominently white.  Turn on the disney channel and tell me if you see any show that features black people besides theri one token minority

In no way am I racist; I have close friends of different ethinicities and "family" members of different ethnicities.  Thankfully I can freely discuss these thoughts with them and sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. 

Sorry, the fact that you have to say your best friend is black shows me how clueless you really are and that you are a racist

• Options

Butting in here, but I don't understand where your definition of racism is coming from. Racism is hatred or intolerance of another race, or the belief that one's own race is superior to another. I do agree with you that calling me "whitey" or "***" or any other racial term is not going to bring me down in any way. But anyone can be racist toward any other race.

I do recognize that white privelege does still exist, while I believe it is slowly getting better. I also feel that english should be the national language. I don't care if is is broken or what you speak in your home, but I think people should at least make an effort to learn english if they decide they want to live here. I have many friends that have immigrated (or their parents did) who share this belief.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It most certainly exists. If you don't think it does you are most likely white and fooling yourself.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • Options

Yes, it exists.  And most tv channels are for white people.  For every network, ask yourself - does this network have shows that are targeted towards white people?  Even if there are minorities on said show?  And how many shows on said network have mostly or all non-white actors? I don't think *any* other network has more than one or two if any.

• Options
    imageyankeebaby2:

yesterday's post about forcing immigrants to speak english even though we have no national language made me think about white privilege.  For the sake of argument, let's have one common definition to avoid splitting hairs or semantics.  White privilege is a right, advantage or immunity granted to or enjoyed by white persons beyond the common advantage of all others; an exemption in many particular cases from certain burdens or liabilities.

How do you guys feel about white privilege?  Dispute it exists or acknowledge it?   

So what are you hoping for Yankee? You say you don't want to make white people feel bad, yet on several occasions you've talked about the idea of white privilege.  I don't understand what your motivation is for posts like these?

• Options

Do I think white privilege exists?  Sure.  I also think that there are certain privileges available to you if you are a woman, a man, a minority, low income, wealthy etc. ect. etc. 

Basically, no matter what, someone is going to be more privileged than someone else in certain areas.  In my opinion, that is just the way the world works.  Do I wish it was different and everyone started the day on a level playing field?  Of course!  And I will never stop hoping that somehow it will change.

I also think that English should be our national language.  Just for the simplicity of signage and that sort of thing.  I couldn't care less what people speak in their own homes, businesses etc.

To say that racism towards whites does not or cannot exist is ridiculous.  I am sure it is more prevelant in certain parts of the country, and that peoples locations may skew their viewpoints, but to say it can't exist is absurd in my opinion.  Belittling my own experiences with racism is not going to help change anything for the better in our world. 

• Options
    imageguppysown@yahoo.com:
    imageyankeebaby2:

So what are you hoping for Yankee? You say you don't want to make white people feel bad, yet on several occasions you've talked about the idea of white privilege.  I don't understand what your motivation is for posts like these?

Oh I don't know, the same motivation you have when you post how you are oppressed as a white, christian, tax paying lactating woman?  Discussion, perhaps?

• Options

So what about people of an ethic group that show intolerance to OTHER people in the SAME group?

I am biracial, white and mexican. I was in a credential class in graduate school and was discriminated against because I was not "Mexican enough". The class was "Cultural Diversity in Education" so the subject matter was based on different races and cultures. In the class other Mexican students ridiculed me because I don't speak Spanish and because I grew up in a middle-upper class neighborhood. To me this is very hurtful. My dad did not want me to learn Spanish, I learned this way to late to change all the years I could have learned the language. (I did try to remedy it by taking it for 4 years in high school, but research shows the best time to learn a retain language is between the ages of 4-6). In addition, the Mexican side of my family is Mormon, and therefore surrounded predominately by white families. Their influence on me has been more American than Mexican. ALL that being said, I am still proud to be Mexican. I am proud to have that cultural tie with many of my students, and wish that I could speak the language and communicate better. I feel that the way I was raised should not set me up for racism or intolerance (whatever definition works better for you) within my own cultural community. 

Basically, I just think all of this stirring up racism just adds to the fact that it still exists. Let's look past the racism, better our selves the best way the we can, with the opportunities that are available to us. Let's show our children that we can rise above all of this nonsense, and be the bigger people without citing the ignorance of those that still hold this awful beliefs. If we show our kids that these opinions and ignorant views are not worth our time then we will be doing our part in extinguishing the remains of racism and oppression.  

• Options
    imagetwoasone1:

Do I think white privilege exists?  Sure.  I also think that there are certain privileges available to you if you are a woman, a man, a minority, low income, wealthy etc. ect. etc. 

Imagine if you are white, middle aged and a man.  You've hit the lottery

Basically, no matter what, someone is going to be more privileged than someone else in certain areas.  In my opinion, that is just the way the world works.  Do I wish it was different and everyone started the day on a level playing field?  Of course!  And I will never stop hoping that somehow it will change.

well yes except that someone is always white. 

I also think that English should be our national language.  Just for the simplicity of signage and that sort of thing.  I couldn't care less what people speak in their own homes, businesses etc.

are signs in greek where you live?  signs are already in english

To say that racism towards whites does not or cannot exist is ridiculous.  I am sure it is more prevelant in certain parts of the country, and that peoples locations may skew their viewpoints, but to say it can't exist is absurd in my opinion.  Belittling my own experiences with racism is not going to help change anything for the better in our world. 

I'm not belittling them.  Just saying you did not experience them.  As a white woman no you have not been a victim of institutional racism. 

• Options
    imageLuv2dnce81:

So what about people of an ethic group that show intolerance to OTHER people in the SAME group?

I am biracial, white and mexican. I was in a credential class in graduate school and was discriminated against because I was not "Mexican enough". The class was "Cultural Diversity in Education" so the subject matter was based on different races and cultures. In the class other Mexican students ridiculed me because I don't speak Spanish and because I grew up in a middle-upper class neighborhood. To me this is very hurtful. My dad did not want me to learn Spanish, I learned this way to late to change all the years I could have learned the language. (I did try to remedy it by taking it for 4 years in high school, but research shows the best time to learn a retain language is between the ages of 4-6). In addition, the Mexican side of my family is Mormon, and therefore surrounded predominately by white families. Their influence on me has been more American than Mexican. ALL that being said, I am still proud to be Mexican. I am proud to have that cultural tie with many of my students, and wish that I could speak the language and communicate better. I feel that the way I was raised should not set me up for racism or intolerance (whatever definition works better for you) within my own cultural community. 

Basically, I just think all of this stirring up racism just adds to the fact that it still exists. Let's look past the racism, better our selves the best way the we can, with the opportunities that are available to us. Let's show our children that we can rise above all of this nonsense, and be the bigger people without citing the ignorance of those that still hold this awful beliefs. If we show our kids that these opinions and ignorant views are not worth our time then we will be doing our part in extinguishing the remains of racism and oppression.  

I just wanted to say that I think the bolded part above is beautifully said. 

• Options
    imagelaw8296:

In no way am I racist; I have close friends of different ethinicities and "family" members of different ethnicities. 

I'm dying at this whole post. I don't even want to snark because I think this is so hilarious.  This post literally did make me laugh out loud, down to the obnoxious blinkie at the end.  5 stars!

Crying <-- tears of laughter

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagetwoasone1:
    imageLuv2dnce81:

I just wanted to say that I think the bolded part above is beautifully said. 

Thanks! :) 

• Options
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagetwoasone1:

Imagine if you are white, middle aged and a man.  You've hit the lottery

well yes except that someone is always white. 

I'm not belittling them.  Just saying you did not experience them.  As a white woman no you have not been a victim of institutional racism. 

No kidding signs are already in English.  My point was that English should be the national language so that people are able to read enough of it to understand the signage and that sort of thing. 

A good way to get people very angry and to undo any good your post may have done, is to tell them that they didn't experience anything.  You have NO IDEA what others have experienced. 

• Options
    This... 
    imagetwoasone1:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageyankeebaby2:
    Oh I don't know, the same motivation you have when you post how you are oppressed as a white, christian, tax paying lactating woman?  Discussion, perhaps?

RIP, Heather.

• Options
    imagetwoasone1:

I AGREE!  

• Options
    imagetwoasone1:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagetwoasone1:

No kidding signs are already in English.  My point was that English should be the national language so that people are able to read enough of it to understand the signage and that sort of thing. 

A good way to get people very angry and to undo any good your post may have done, is to tell them that they didn't experience anything.  You have NO IDEA what others have experienced. 

I have no idea if you're new here or not but making people angry is the least of my concerns but thanks for the warning.  If you are white then I can say without a doubt that you have never been a victim of institutional racism

Ok so when we make english the official language we will be paying people to go from home to home to teach immigrants the official language?  I bolded the above because you specifically said signage. I assumed you meant signs.  If you see they are already in english, why did you say that?

• Options
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagetwoasone1:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagetwoasone1:

Ok so when we make english the official language we will be paying people to go from home to home to teach immigrants the official language?  I bolded the above because you specifically said signage. I assumed you meant signs.  If you see they are already in english, why did you say that?

I have no idea if you're new here or not but making people angry is the least of my concerns but thanks for the warning.  If you are white then I can say without a doubt that you have never been a victim of institutional racism

If you simply look under my avatar, you will see that I am not new here.  Obviously you aren't worried about making people angry, your lack of tact in some of your replies shows that off very nicely.  I would think though, that with this being something that you are so obviously passionate about, you would want to show some in order to maybe sway some people to your point of view. 

The bolded part above is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.  I know that I will never change your opinion in that though and that is fine with me.  It is one of the great things above our country.  You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to mine. 

Have a great day, I am off to spend it with my wonderful son in the beautiful spring weather we are finally experiencing. 

• Options
    imagetwoasone1:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagetwoasone1:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagetwoasone1:

If you simply look under my avatar, you will see that I am not new here.  Obviously you aren't worried about making people angry, your lack of tact in some of your replies shows that off very nicely.  I would think though, that with this being something that you are so obviously passionate about, you would want to show some in order to maybe sway some people to your point of view. 

The bolded part above is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.  I know that I will never change your opinion in that though and that is fine with me.  It is one of the great things above our country.  You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to mine. 

Have a great day, I am off to spend it with my wonderful son in the beautiful spring weather we are finally experiencing. 

and yet you still have not answered what you meant about signage.  Quite frankly I'm not concerned about swaying people to my opinions since people like you usually already have their minds made up about people like me anyway.  Your whole response was non responsive and just a monologue since you didn't answer any of the questions I originally asked you

Enjoy your spring day.  I'm stuck at work until 5 so no LOs are being harmed here

• Options

imagetwoasone1:

Yup, Yankee, I suppose it is totally American to live in ignorance.  IT'S MY OPINION AND I'M ALLOWED!  I think you lost her with "institutional racism."  Big Smile

• Options
    imageHeather R:

imagetwoasone1:

Yup, Yankee, I suppose it is totally American to live in ignorance.  IT'S MY OPINION AND I'M ALLOWED!  I think you lost her with "institutional racism."  Big Smile

Well as long as it's in english and all. 

• Options
    imagelaw8296:

2. "white privilege"- in my own experience, I do not feel this exists in my immediate community- or at least I'm not enjoying any privilege.  I almost feel the opposite that I constantly have minority issues advertised and "pushed." 

eh, I changed my mind about not snarking.

The breastfeeding accomplishment you're so proud of in your blinky results from white privilege.  You were educated enough to understand its benefits and the resources available to help you succeed with it.  You may even have been lucky enough to have a job that supports you in it with flexibility.  Breastfeeding among black women lags significantly behind the white community. 

• Options

Yes, of course white privilege exists, of which I'm sure some experience much more of it than others.

I have to disagree about the definition of racism that's being used.  I think racism can exist within different power structures; but I also see the point that there is a greater power structure at work in our country that puts whites at the top.  I still think individual experience is greater, though.

What about the white person who is the minority in a workplace?  And is fired by the black boss who is known to have a chip on her shoulder toward white females?  And this boss shows a record of firing only young, white females?  In this case, the black person does have power over the white person and is able to do more than just "scream at whitey" - she has taken away a job.  This is a power structure on a small scale - but does it contribute to the greater picture?

Our experiences in our own communities influence us much more than collective experience in the world; so while I agree that the greater power structure favors whites, I think there are many micro-structures that are quite different.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageHeather R:
    imagelaw8296:

2. "white privilege"- in my own experience, I do not feel this exists in my immediate community- or at least I'm not enjoying any privilege.  I almost feel the opposite that I constantly have minority issues advertised and "pushed." 

The breastfeeding accomplishment you're so proud of in your blinky results from white privilege.  You were educated enough to understand its benefits and the resources available to help you succeed with it.  You may even have been lucky enough to have a job that supports you in it with flexibility.  Breastfeeding among black women lags significantly behind the white community. 

I'm sorry I don't understand how being white gives you a better chance of succeeding at breastfeeding. I was not at all educated on BFing until during my pregnancy and after my DS was born. All my education came from the hospital's Lactation nurses, that are offered to ALL patients. In addition, my son was born at a Kaiser hospital in Oakland, CA (where the majority of citizens are in a minority group), therefore we are all receiving the same amount of education and support. Furthermore, the BFing support continues for ALL patients after discharge through lactation nurses and consultants. In my case I also took it upon myself to further my education by reading books and websites on the topic. Basically, my point is the support and education is out there for ALL races. To me if you are proactive this is not a white privilege issue. 

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were saying... 

• Options
    imageHeather R:
    imagelaw8296:

I don't understand how this white privledge. I live in a highly hispanic populated area. After having DS my nurse told me the majority of the women who leave the hospital still BFing were her hispanic patients. Mainly because they were not wrapped up in how much milk the baby was getting and feeling like they needed to supplement. It was just normal for them. Most of the women in my family did not bf and I did not get a lot of advice from them. The only education I received was from the nurses who assist everyone at the hospital.

• Options
    imagekes3237:

Our experiences in our own communities influence us much more than collective experience in the world; so while I agree that the greater power structure favors whites, I think there are many micro-structures that are quite different.

Well said.

• Options

"I'm sorry I don't understand how being white gives you a better chance of succeeding at breastfeeding.Basically, my point is the support and education is out there for ALL races. To me if you are proactive this is not a white privilege issue."

-white privileged speaking.  

I wonder where you live in Oakland lv2dnce81?

Good convo.

• Options
    imageshellybell15:
    imageHeather R:
    imagelaw8296:

I don't understand how this white privledge. I live in a highly hispanic populated area. After having DS my nurse told me the majority of the women who leave the hospital still BFing were her hispanic patients. Mainly because they were not wrapped up in how much milk the baby was getting and feeling like they needed to supplement. It was just normal for them. Most of the women in my family did not bf and I did not get a lot of advice from them. The only education I received was from the nurses who assist everyone at the hospital.

are you seriously giving credibility to anecdotal evidence by one nurse as to what hispanics do?  It's a fact that breastfeeding is lower among low income and minority women.  Here is link to one study but I'm sure you can find many more:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2768401/

• Options

• Options

Yankee~

I already answered your question about my signage statement in one of my first responses to you.  Here it is again;

I am sorry if that wasn't clear enough for you.  My point was that people should be able to understand enough English to read the signage (like road signs) so that they are not a danger to others.  If they can't, then they shouldn't drive until they can.

I also do not get where you come off saying that I already had my mind made up about "people like you".  I have no issues with you whatsoever, nor did I say that I did. That is plain insulting when I thought that we were involved in an amicable debate.  I didn't see the point in continuing that debate with you because it is obvious that we are not going to agree.  That is fine with me.  It is differing opinions that makes ours a very rich and diverse culture.   

• Options
    imagemissjmee:

"I'm sorry I don't understand how being white gives you a better chance of succeeding at breastfeeding.Basically, my point is the support and education is out there for ALL races. To me if you are proactive this is not a white privilege issue."

-white privileged speaking.  

I wonder where you live in Oakland lv2dnce81?

Good convo.

I AM HISPANIC...SO THIS IS NOT "WHITE PRIVILEGE" SPEAKING. 

• Options
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagelilbit923:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imageFloF9:

white cannot be victims of racism simply because they are the ones in a position of power.  While I feel for lilbit, her story is more about being a  cop.  I believe she suffered but since whites just aren't the group of people being marginilized or opppressed, I don't see how they suffered from racism.  Yes they can be victims of discrimination, prejudice and bias but never racism

So being hated because I'm white isn't racism?

Nope.  Because the power structure of the united states only benefits whites.  racism is not an individual's belief that one race is superior to another but rtaher a group's belief that includes insitutional oppression. 

That is ridiculous. 

Lilypie - (fjc0)

• Options
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imageshellybell15:
    imageHeather R:
    imagelaw8296:

are you seriously giving credibility to anecdotal evidence by one nurse as to what hispanics do?  It's a fact that breastfeeding is lower among low income and minority women.  Here is link to one study but I'm sure you can find many more:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2768401/

The link above states this:

Results
    Both foreign-born black mothers and Hispanic mothers (most of whom were foreign-born) were significantly more likely to breastfeed their infants than non-Hispanic white women, findings that were partly explained by foreign-born and Hispanic mothers? prenatal intention to breastfeed. In contrast to previous studies, we also found that native-born black women were more likely to breastfeed than non-Hispanic white women.

So again, I don't understand how breastfeeding is white privelege.
  • Options
    I only skimmed through, but I am surprised no one metioned that our President is black & how did it turn into bf'ing?
  • Options
    mm, one counter example is not enough to prove that w.p. does not exist.  Sorry.
  • Options

imageDrinknDerive:
    mm, one counter example is not enough to prove that w.p. does not exist.  Sorry.

I never said it didn't exist. I was just surprised no one used it in their argument.

• Options

I haven't read the thread, but I will give my perspective. Since I grew up in such a different environment than almost everyone here, I see it from a different angle. My community was 90% non-white and there was a lot of hatred towards whites. (Only a couple of white families actually went back generations on the island, so it was more than just color of skin.) Even though there was a lot of what people call reverse racism (which I experienced very frequently), I would never dispute white privilege. It was evident everyday. 

But an interesting purely anecdotal tidbit - I was actually taught in HS to never answer questions pertaining to race. When I was accepted to colleges, I was accepted as a minority student and given minority scholarships. I had to contact the school I attended and have them rescind the scholarships. (They assumed based on my hometown.) The only school I was rejected from was also the only school where I interviewed in person. I always wondered if I would have been accepted to the other schools if they knew I was white and I felt like I cheated the system a bit. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"