June 2011 Moms
Options

Kegel Question

Here's a quick Kegel question. My friend who just had her baby was telling me that her OB didn't suggest she do them until after the baby was born because when trying to fit a baby through the birth canal you don't really want things all tight...anyone else been told this? It makes me hesitate to do them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Kegel Question

• Options

that is completely backwards from everything my dr, nurses, yoga teacher, and every single book I've read says. 

It's not about tightness, it's about muscle strength.  

ETA: not necessarily for delivery, but for healing post partum, as well as reducing risk of tearing.  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Yes, my OB said the same thing.  She said you don't use those muscles to push the baby out, so Kegels at this point will only really help you if you have incontinence issues. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been told that I will likely undo all the Kegel work during delivery. But, they are helpful for incontinence and leakage problems. I still do them, because I don't think it's going to impede on the labor and delivery process. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was told the exact same thing in my birthing class! Doing kegels can cause you to tear when your normally wouldn't have since you tightened everything up. I'm not doing kegels for this reason!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Honestly...He might be right. Pushing a baby is more like...well....going to the bathroom and doing a number two. However you don't want to push to hard and strain your muscles to quickly...so really there are no exercises to do!

If you want to do something to help you feel more prepared for labor do  perineum massages. Or have lot's of sex. =p You just don't want that tissue to get soften up and get delicate.

The other thing you can do is decide simply research different ways to deal with pain in early labor, etc. Like rocking on a birthing ball--though I decided to try sitting on one before hand as I never had before; I was worried I would fall off somehow if I didn't "get the feel for it" without pain. LOL  My favorite way in early labor is a warm shower.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"