August 2011 Moms
Options

WWYD: Hosting a wedding shower for friend near my EDD

My friend who just recently got engaged set a date for her wedding, October 15, 2011. She also asked me and another one of our close friends to be the MOH(s) in her wedding. She understands that her wedding is close to my EDD, and that I may not be able to do as much for her as I would like at 9 months pregnant and with a newborn baby. 

Regardless, I still want to throw her a shower (with the other MOH). Here is my dilemma...when do I have the shower for her? I want the shower to be close enough to her wedding, but far enough away from my EDD that the likelihood of me going into labor or having the baby isn't very good. I was thinking I could have the shower the first week in August, I'd be 36 weeks and it'd be 2 and half months out from her wedding day. WWYD?

And then another question I have is, would I be crazy to offer to have this shower for her at my house at 9 months pregnant? I love throwing parties, but I can just envision it being way too much so close to my EDD. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD: Hosting a wedding shower for friend near my EDD

• Options

I say the date you have picked is a good date. :)

I also think you are crazy to think about having the shower at your house, it is more stress added to your life than you need around your EDD.  You can still do crafty ideas at a function place or restaurant, you just will not have the added stress to make sure everyone has everything they need.

Hope this helps.

• Options

I'm in the same boat as you - my BFF is due Oct 6 and I am hosting her baby shower at my house on Aug 10 (I am due Aug 25!). I love throwing parties too and I think it will give me something fun to focus on this summer (other than myself and my pregnancy, ha ha!). She is throwing my shower for me so I wanted to do hers, too. 

I've already talked to some girlfriends and they know that they will be expected to help out more than usual! Instead of cooking everything myself like I normally would, I plan to make it more of a "pot luck" spread so that should be a help, and I'm sure people will offer to help clean up afterward.

I think the timing you are suggesting sounds OK - I would just make sure you have a back-up plan just in case you go early and are not able to host. Maybe the other MOH could be the back-up?  

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that timing is fine.   My wedding shower was Aug 22, for a Nov 7th wedding.  I only had one shower and it was a date that worked for my bridal party.  No one seemed to think it was too early. As luck would have it we closed on a house on Aug 21st, so timing turned out to be amazing  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's when I'm having my future SIL's shower, and she's getting married Oct. 22. And I'm likely doing it at my house. I'm also doing my sister's bridal shower at my house the weekend before (she's getting married Sept. 17). I guess we're gluttons for punishment Smile
    "For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." ~storypeople.com   

My Blog - Taking You Home

• Options

imageMillerTime13:
    That's when I'm having my future SIL's shower, and she's getting married Oct. 22. And I'm likely doing it at my house. I'm also doing my sister's bridal shower at my house the weekend before (she's getting married Sept. 17). I guess we're gluttons for punishment Smile

Ok, it's just really, really weird how many similarities we have in our lives right now! 

After reading everyone's feedback I think I'll offer to have it at my house, under the condition that the other MOH and who ever else is willing, help me with cleaning, decorating and making food.  

• Options

I think late July, early August is good.

I think having it at your house will be too much work though. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would strongly suggest hosting it somewhere else if you can. I had a shower at my house about a weeks ago and it was exhausting.  I didn't have a lot of help either since the 3 other hosts lived out of town.  My husband had to do a lot of work to help get the house ready, which he didn't really have time for b/c he's so busy at work.  By the time it was for the actual shower, I was was so tired that I couldn't even hold a conversation and ended up hanging out in my kitchen cleaning for most of it b/c I wasn't comfortable sitting b/c my body was so sore.  Anyway, it was rough with the tiredness and hormones, I couldn't imagine doing it closer to my due date.  I know everyone is different but afterward I swore that I would never host a shower at my house pregnant again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    that shower date seems fine--I had an out of state wedding (back in Tampa where I'm from, in Mid-June) so I flew down in Mid-March for a bridal shower--about 3 full months early. Seemed fine for me :)
  • Options

Know how you feel... I'm actually IN a wedding the 3 weeks before I'm due. Lets just hope I can fit my dress at that point...

I would try and take it easy as much as possible for a shower.

We just hosted a big Easter get together out our house (at 22 weeks preggers) and I was wiped out from all the prep, guests and clean up and this is supposed to be when you have tons of energy!

Make sure to enlist other good friends and family of the bride to help out, you will probably need it at that point!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"