High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

got denied life insurance b/c of PRE-E

MH and I have put it off for years and then a couple of months ago we were contacted by an old friend who works for NY Life now and asked if we were interested.  I was very grateful to get all the info from a friend who i'm comfortable with and she was great to work with.   the reason I was denied was b/c of my pre-eclampsia w/ DS.  she knew all about it and I believe she even asked if it was a pre-existing condition and we thought i was all set.  I even talked about it w/ the DR they sent to do the medical, and she never said a word about it being a reason for denial either. nope , got the rejection letter in the mail today.  my friend had a baby 2 days ago, so i don't want to bother her.  I called the main ph# listed and am waiting a call back from her supervisor.  this sucks.  I understand that i'm a risk, esp. w/ being pregnant again. the question I am very worried about it is if this will keep me ineligible forever!?? I am 99% sure we are done having kids after this one, but obviously I can only prove that by having my tubes tied (which i didn't want to do).  anyone else get denied for this reason? also,if you got life insurance post pre-e can you tell me which company you used? TIA! 
imageimage

Re: got denied life insurance b/c of PRE-E

• Options

I don't want to add to your worry, but DH and I just got life insurance and we were asked a zillion times if we'd ever applied for and been denied life insurance.  It seemed to us that if we had, it would have been a problem.  So this denial could be an issue with future applications.

I'm surprised though--our life insurer couldn't have been less concerned about my weight or blood pressure or anything that resulted from pregnancy.  I hope you'll get to talk to someone who can help you!

• Options

I only had PIH and did not have an issue getting life insurance recently from Banner.

The denial might be because new research is showing that having pre-e is linked to future health problems such as diabetes, high bp, cardiovascular disease and blood clots. New research that came out in January...

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diabetes/articles/2009/01/30/preeclampsia-in-pregnancy-boosts-future-health

An excerpt from the article:

Women who experience preeclampsia during pregnancy are at increased risk for future health problems such as hypertension, diabetes and blood clots, American and Danish researchers report.

Click here to find out more!

Preeclampsia is a complication of pregnancy linked to life-threatening cardiovascular disease.

The researchers analyzed data on more than 11 million women who gave birth in Denmark from 1978 to 2007. Among women with preeclampsia, the risks of subsequent hypertension were compounded with each pregnancy.

The findings were presented Thursday at the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine's annual meeting in San Diego....

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I find it odd that they asked that many questions about your pregnancy. They didn't even ask about asthma for me.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

It honestly depends on what state you live in and the company you want to go with. There are companies that have guarantee issue life policies, where you health history isn't looked into at all.

I would guess that the denial is b/c you are prego again, and you have the history. You might want to check to see if after you deliver, if you would be able to get life insurance from that company (or see if you can get a guarantee issue policy so that you have something in place--then get a standard risk policy when you qualify).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"