Baby Showers

Signed and Dated Books in Lieu of Cards

2»

Re: Signed and Dated Books in Lieu of Cards

• imageCorts:
    I am merely making a point that being asked to bring a childrens book to a baby shower (instead of a card) is certainly not something to be offended about, especially since there are so many children with special needs being born these days.
    There is no point here, though.  One has NOTHING to do w/ the other. 

There is a lot of bad in the world.  There are a lot of people in crappy situations.

But that doesn't mean people can't be put off by being told to bring an extra gift.  There is no correlation between the two.

And I don't think anyone is claiming to be "highly offended" by being asked to bring a book.  We are just saying we don't like to be told what to bring.  People ask this question here, so others of us answer. 

It doesn't mean we're going to showers w/ attitudes and being pissy to everyone because **horrors**, we were asked to bring a book. It just means that HERE, when asked, we will say "we dont' like it". 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I love the idea of a book-themed shower *as* the gifts. And they aren't any more expensive than outfits so I don't see many people objecting. You just don't register for anything else.

But that is not the same as saying "buy something off the registry AND also bring a book." And I'm not sure everyone in the thread is catching that extra request there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBLM10:
    imageKdonn15:

I guess everyone here who thinks it's rude to request books instead of cards also decided against registries totally fine by the way.  I'm only saying that if you think books are a bad idea it's a bit hypocritical to then make lists at a specific store for things you need/want for your baby. 

Here is the difference... people are always going to ask you, your family or the hostess what you need for the baby. Thus, a registry comes in handy, and no one is pressured to buy anything specific or anything off the registry for that matter. It's a wish list! No one is ever going to say "what is your library lacking?" or "what can I bring instead of a greeting card?". The books I loved as a kid that are still popular or popular again are $10-15 a pop... Dr Seuss and the like. Add that to the $30-50 I usually spend on a gift? NO! And I'm not going to make a trip to the dollar store to buy a cheapo book because someone thinks I need to bring a specific item.

Um no.  Registries dictate what YOU want or what YOU need for a baby let's not pretend every registry has the exact same thing on it.  And REQUESTING that one bring a book in lieu of a card is not dictating what to bring to a shower.  Dr. Seuss books are $8.99 a piece if you choose to spend $30-50 on a gift and then $3-4 on a card and then additional for wrapping, I honestly don't think it's a big deal.  We use our baby books everyday I'd have preferred books over cute little baby outfits but I was lucky enough not to be bombarded with baby outfits at my showers.  You also mentioned that you don't have dollar stores near you......what about grocery stores, Marshall's/TJ Maxx or Kohl's all of these stores have adorable books in the $3.99-$6.99 price range.  Let's not knit pick here....mmmkay? If you don't  care to buy a book don't but really there's not need to get all high and mighty about it.....feel free to purchase a $30-50 gift and call it a day Big Smile

• Wow, the tangents you come up with "corts"! You have so many horrible things going on in your life yet you spend so much time here.

To the poster 2 back (sorry, already clicked ahead and missed your name)- my point is that though registries are pretty standard now, no one has to have one, and no one has to buy off of one. Those who choose to buy off of one have usually have options as to what to spend their money on. If you want books for your kids, register for them, buy them yourselves, or go to the library. Dr Seuss is in fact $14.99 at my bookstore, so I don't know where you are getting them from for $8.99. I don't even like people including registry information on an invitation... as another poster stated, it's making a gift as important as your guests attendance.

• imageBLM10:

Wow, the tangents you come up with "corts"! You have so many horrible things going on in your life yet you spend so much time here.

I don't consider having a disabled child a horrible thing. As for my MC, well, the sensitivity of you dear ladies really astounds me.

Is there a "rule" as to how much time one can spend on these boards? Because you are waaaaaaaay ahead of me, lovey :)

P.S who the hell said anything about Dr Seuss books? Why are you groaning about them so much? Don't venture much into bookstores, do you?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMandyBrownNoser:

If you want to read to your child, buy a fuucking book.

Problem solved.

Although I really did appreciate the laundry list of reasons as to why I should feel badly for thinking people should buy shiit for their own kid. 

• Drama aside, is it really that common in some areas for people to buy a full-on card in addition to a gift? What I usually see (and do) is you only get the $3 card if that's all you're giving them, or if there's a check inside. If there is an actual wrapped gift, you just snag one of those small free cards (and sometimes envelope) to identify the giver.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Stop complaining, people. you can get books at goodwill for .50... cheaper than a card, Quit your bitching.

The mom is already "dictating" what to get by making a registry, big freaking deal. Oh, and half of our kids can't read properly anyways by the time they hit junior high, so let's get them started early. 

• imageglobetrotting7:

Stop complaining, people. you can get books at goodwill for .50... cheaper than a card, Quit your bitching.

The mom is already "dictating" what to get by making a registry, big freaking deal. Oh, and half of our kids can't read properly anyways by the time they hit junior high, so let's get them started early

LOL I totally agree.

Prepare yourself for the "you must have deep seated book issues" attacks.

• imageCorts:
    imageBLM10:

Wow, the tangents you come up with "corts"! You have so many horrible things going on in your life yet you spend so much time here.

I don't consider having a disabled child a horrible thing. As for my MC, well, the sensitivity of you dear ladies really astounds me.

Is there a "rule" as to how much time one can spend on these boards? Because you are waaaaaaaay ahead of me, lovey :)

P.S who the hell said anything about Dr Seuss books? Why are you groaning about them so much? Don't venture much into bookstores, do you?

hmm, registered here 2 months longer and only double the posts... doesn't seem like a huge jump in activity, "lovey".

PS... another poster told me she could get them for $6 less than what i can. i guess reading an average of 50 books a year means i don't spend enough time in bookstores. :(

•  

50 books a year, and you are upset that someone should have the audacity to ask you to bring a book to a baby shower? Absolutely fascinating. BTW, if you give Borders your email address, they will usually send you monthly coupons for up to 40% off. Then your beloved Dr Seuss books can be almost half price. What will you complain about then? The "nerve" of people to make a registry? LOL.

• Not that it matters, but I generally give books for birthdays and Christmas and very often baby showers. It's still rude to ask all of your guests to bring a specific item like books or pack of diapers to your shower. Borders has cut back on their coupons, by the way. They aren't always 40% and they aren't every month. And I certainly won't feel guilty if I go to a baby shower without a book and the kid ends up with a learning disability later, which your posts seem to state is inevitable and all the shower attendees' fault. Not everyone loves your Winnie the Pooh $1 special. I'm done with this thread. You can have the last word since you are so intent on getting it.

• No one is anti-book. Lots of people are anti-make-special-requests.
  • imageRoxyLynn:
    No one is anti-book. Lots of people are anti-make-special-requests.

Ever been to a lingere shower? Recipe shower? Event where there was a wishing well? I'd much rather be asked to bring a book, than a sleazy nightgown or G-string. Or a box of diapers. At least the book can be read over and over and is beneficial for the child.

• imageCorts:

imageRoxyLynn:

Ever been to a lingere shower? Recipe shower? Event where there was a wishing well? I'd much rather be asked to bring a book, than a sleazy nightgown or G-string. Or a box of diapers. At least the book can be read over and over and is beneficial for the child.

Why would you bring a g-string to a baby shower? What kind of babies do you hang out with? 

• imageKateMW:
    imageCorts:

imageRoxyLynn:

Why would you bring a g-string to a baby shower? What kind of babies do you hang out with? 

Bridal showers? It is common to have them (here anyway) and be told what to bring based on the theme, along with registry info.

• I was taking to my hostess about this idea and she thought it was great, but after reading this thread I was torn for a moment. I would never want any of the guests to think my hostess or I would insist they bring anything. If this were included on the invitation I would only think it was a nice, cute idea. I've seen many of my favorite children's books for less that $5. I would be spending around $3 or $4 for a nice card so I love the option of purchasing something for the baby that would be used for years instead.

With that being said I am going to suggest the following be put on my invitation:

"If you would like, bring your favorite children's book in lieu of a greeting card to help start baby Ella/Ethan's collection."

Those who would like to participate can and those who do not wish to participate can choose not to. I like it to be clear that participation is completely optional.

Jenny Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"